Insanely Unstable/Low Framerates

After not playing Path of Exile for a while (I can't remember how long it's been since I last played or what the last patch was), I decided to try to come back. What I come back to is a game that now has a frame rate that seemingly randomly fluctuates from under 30 FPS to nearly 110 FPS. Considering that my system is a bit overkill, I find it odd that I should be having issues with my frame rate at all, and the commonly asked questions offered no help. I'd like to be able to play this game, but the unstable frame rate is making it difficult to play, as the gameplay ends up being very, very choppy. Hopefully someone can give me a hand.

For the record, my drivers are up to date on my computer. I only recently installed a new solid state drive for my OS, and, while putting that in, I ended up updating all of my drivers.

Computer specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3930k Hex-core @ 3.8GHz (Hyper-threading disabled)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB (Not overclocked)
RAM: 16GB RAM @ 2133MHz
Mobo: ASUS Rampage Extreme IV
Main Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD (Stores OS/Drivers only)
Secondary Storage: 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB cache (Every other program installed here, including Path of Exile)
Try installing Gentoo.
"
ionface wrote:
Try installing Gentoo.

No offense, but I think there's a better solution than installing an entirely new operating system. Wiping my computer and installing a new OS just so I have a better frame rate in one game seems like killing a pesky fly with half a ton of C4. Sure, it might work, but it's a bit overboard.
Last edited by Zrehael on Sep 4, 2013, 12:28:51 PM
Fully uninstall and reinstall the game. Put it on your SSD. Install as admin. Disable all active anti-virus programs while installing. Make sure you have permissions set in your windows firewall. Make sure your video card software is not overridding and using way too many performance choking settings.

Clean your chassis. Turn off the power, make sure system is grounded. Blow out all the dust with compressed air (use a vacuum cleaner at your own risk!!! I do not advise this.) Use a soft paint brush to clean any hard deposited dust off all the fins and vanes on your processors heatskink. Make sure to check the chassis main inlet vents, some chassis' have removable micro dust filters that need to be cleaned off.

I honestly am having a very hard time to understand why you would not have all your programs on the SSD. You're essentially eliminating the entire reason to have an SSD.

o.0

Goodluck!
stop over moderating that makes the official forums useless
"
bchan wrote:
Fully uninstall and reinstall the game. Put it on your SSD. Install as admin. Disable all active anti-virus programs while installing. Make sure you have permissions set in your windows firewall. Make sure your video card software is not overridding and using way too many performance choking settings.

I'll give it a shot and see how that goes. Not sure if it will change much, but here's to hoping

"
bchan wrote:
Clean your chassis. Turn off the power, make sure system is grounded. Blow out all the dust with compressed air (use a vacuum cleaner at your own risk!!! I do not advise this.) Use a soft paint brush to clean any hard deposited dust off all the fins and vanes on your processors heatskink. Make sure to check the chassis main inlet vents, some chassis' have removable micro dust filters that need to be cleaned off.

Did this a while ago, so dust isn't a problem.

"
bchan wrote:
I honestly am having a very hard time to understand why you would not have all your programs on the SSD. You're essentially eliminating the entire reason to have an SSD.

With the amount of games I have, it's just not viable. An SSD large enough for all of them would cost me a fortune. Using the SSD as an OS drive still gives me a nice benefit as far as boot times and performing system tasks, though. The only reason I have a 256GB drive in there is I managed to get one on sale for cheap.
Last edited by Zrehael on Sep 4, 2013, 1:07:44 PM
"
Zrehael wrote:
After not playing Path of Exile for a while (I can't remember how long it's been since I last played or what the last patch was), I decided to try to come back. What I come back to is a game that now has a frame rate that seemingly randomly fluctuates from under 30 FPS to nearly 110 FPS. Considering that my system is a bit overkill, I find it odd that I should be having issues with my frame rate at all, and the commonly asked questions offered no help. I'd like to be able to play this game, but the unstable frame rate is making it difficult to play, as the gameplay ends up being very, very choppy. Hopefully someone can give me a hand.

For the record, my drivers are up to date on my computer. I only recently installed a new solid state drive for my OS, and, while putting that in, I ended up updating all of my drivers.

Computer specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3930k Hex-core @ 3.8GHz (Hyper-threading disabled)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB (Not overclocked)
RAM: 16GB RAM @ 2133MHz
Mobo: ASUS Rampage Extreme IV
Main Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD (Stores OS/Drivers only)
Secondary Storage: 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB cache (Every other program installed here, including Path of Exile)

Hey there,

Can you please post up a DxDiag report and let us know what settings you're using in-game and on your graphics card control panel?
Unfortunately, I can't post a DxDiag as the forum has no way of attaching a file, and copy-pasting it into here under a spoiler tag exceeds the maximum amount of characters that can be put in a post, so I don't exactly know how you want me to post it or what information you need from it that will allow me to fit it within that character limit.

In game settings are at their highest (I was able to run them at a smooth 60FPS before with them at this setting) and my graphic card settings are all defaults.
"
Zrehael wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't post a DxDiag as the forum has no way of attaching a file, and copy-pasting it into here under a spoiler tag exceeds the maximum amount of characters that can be put in a post, so I don't exactly know how you want me to post it or what information you need from it that will allow me to fit it within that character limit.

Cut text off the end until it fits. Keep the stuff at the front, it's the most important. You can probably remove the last couple of sections without problem.
@OP nothing wrong with your PC, mine started jumping form 10fps to 100+ fps it was unbearable after patch tonight, alot had the same issue according to Global 1 chat, its caused by playing in full screen mode, SWITCH to full screen windowed mode and problem is fixed, fyi I have HD7970 also.
Having the same issue by the way. Somewhat frustrating that every patch includes a new issue. I'll try fullscreen windowed; thanks for the tip.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info