Resistance Penalties (and a league to test them!)

"
Charan wrote:
anubite: you mean you'd like to see those stats unlocked from being 'unique'? Or is 'avoid' different to 'cannot be'? Naturally I think 'cannot be' is too powerful for magic/rare spawning, but I'm not entirely sure how 'avoid' would be implemented, given that a critical hit automatically confers a negative elemental status. Thus I'd figure burning/shock/freezing are intrinsic to crit chance/chance to avoid crits...am I wrong?
There are specific chances to avoid the elemental status ailemnts (and to avoid stun). You can get them in the tree (see this build for 32% chance to avoid stun and a whopping 75% chance to avoid each elemental status ailment).

Whenever you would get that ailment (be it form a critical or not), you have that chance to avoid it being applied. You still take all damage from the triggering attack. And before anyone asks, chance to avoid burn does not give you a chance to turn on righteous fire without taking the damage yourself :P

Not a lot of people take them, so at various points I believe they've been made more appetising by increasing the numbers - I think they'd be interesting to have as jewellery mods, or even new base types of jewellery, but we might need to reduce how much you can get of them on the tree.

I believe "Can't be [frozen/burned/shocked]" is 100% chance to avoid.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Sep 24, 2012, 6:15:00 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
anubite: you mean you'd like to see those stats unlocked from being 'unique'? Or is 'avoid' different to 'cannot be'? Naturally I think 'cannot be' is too powerful for magic/rare spawning, but I'm not entirely sure how 'avoid' would be implemented, given that a critical hit automatically confers a negative elemental status. Thus I'd figure burning/shock/freezing are intrinsic to crit chance/chance to avoid crits...am I wrong?
There are specific chances to avoid the elemental status ailemnts (and to avoid stun). You can get them in the tree (see this build for 32% chance to avoid stun and a whopping 75% chance to avoid each elemental status ailment).

Whenever you would get that ailment (be it form a critical or not), you have that chance to avoid it being applied. You still take all damage from the triggering attack. And before anyone asks, chance to avoid burn does not give you a chance to turn on righteous fire without taking the damage yourself :P

Not a lot of people take them, so at various points I believe they've been made more appetising by increasing the numbers - I think they'd be interesting to have as jewellery mods, or even new base types of jewellery, but we might need to reduce how much you can get of them on the tree.

I believe "Can't be [frozen/burned/shocked]" is 100% chance to avoid.

Yeah, I was aware of the passive nodes that reduce chance-to-be but somehow, perhaps because they're not keystones, didn't think to extrapolate that ability into an item.

So the mechanics exist to realise 'avoid' as an item mod. That's great! :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
bingobill wrote:
"
bingobill wrote:
20 page thread, hc league starting soon, minions/resistances issue requires answer.

dev response please

I am pretty sure that it doesn't affect minions. I will check.

Edit: Does not currently affect minions. I look forward to another similar thread if we ever change that :P
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Sep 24, 2012, 7:23:25 PM
"
Chris wrote:
"
bingobill wrote:
"
bingobill wrote:
20 page thread, hc league starting soon, minions/resistances issue requires answer.

dev response please

Edit: Does not currently affect minions. I look forward to another similar thread if we ever change that :P
Thanks Chris! and please don't change it! ;D
"Playing jank off-meta minion builds since 2012"
While resistances do need a rework, the currently proposed method does present some problems that other posters have more adeptly mentioned. Why not, instead of having just a flat 25% penalty per difficulty, have spell penetration instead?

The spell penetration stat lets your spells ignore some numerical percentage of the target's resists. Combine this with an elimination of the resistances cap. This would avoid the problem of sudden changes in resistances while being more intuitive, organic, and diverse.

Players would have to approach different monster types in a different manner, perhaps popping resistance potions not for every mage or gish, but for the odd elemental assassin or arch-mage. This would also allow players to create builds geared also around this stat if enough supporting mechanics can work alongside it.

Mind you, this would be much harder to balance than flat 25% increments.
"
Chris wrote:
"
bingobill wrote:
"
bingobill wrote:

dev response please

Thanks for reply, that will make my life easier then.
"
Chris wrote:
We're going to introduce additive elemental resistance penalties of:

Normal: 0%
Cruel: -25%
Ruthless: -50%
Merciless: -75%

In my opinion this is a bit 2 much. I suggest:

Normal: 0%
Cruel: -15%
Ruthless: -30% (or -32%)
Merciless: -50%
from 0.10.0 patch notes: "Fixed a bug where you could add Piety to your friends list." xD
"
Chris wrote:
"
bingobill wrote:
"
bingobill wrote:

dev response please

cool, ty
So does this mean caster mobs that spam spells like Cold Snap and Flicker Strike are getting fixed? Because they're damn near impossible for not-minion classes during levelling as they are. I'd hate to see what happens when a stacking, permanent elemental weakness is added into that already destructive mix.

I tend to have pretty poor luck with the noted caster mobs, in that at least 6 spawn in a near vicinity of each other. I can usually just get away with my shadow at capped cold resistance, but I seriously doubt I'll survive if I need to figure out a way to get 100 to 150% cold resistance to not get permafrozen.
Stop meaningless cry regarding negative penalties before even testing them ! This is nonsense.

Most particularly, when the game is not even close to the difficulty stage of D2.

It is easly recognizable the people who has played D2 and who did not so far.

=======================================================
Edit: @Charan: Oh yes, so you still wanna side with that the game being already "not easy" blabla, and deal with me ? Just read this, its pretty self-explanatory as it can ever get in its purest form: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/51909
and tell me then why this game is not easy (for you), as if you could be true to yourself before you can tell it to me straightforward though.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
Last edited by BrecMadak on Sep 26, 2012, 4:22:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info