A dumb question, but: Offline mod ever been considered?

Understand that the f2p model derives its income from the frills on the servers etc., but the serverside code is usually non-trivial to emulate, so that it would be possible to make an offline version without compromising uniqueness of server play.

Extra cost, perk of contribution of set amount, discount for 10$ minimum i.e. 20$ cost for single player.

Basta.
Doubtful it would ever happen. I would like it too for a couple of reasons. The thing is that if they had a offline mode it would give people the code to help them hack the online mode. They want to limit the access to the files to maintain integrity of the game. Also if there was an offline mode people would tend not to buy as much from the store if nobody would ever see them. Since the game is going to be free once open beta hits there would be no way to charge people extra for an offline version. It seems like the online thing is going to be sticking around for awhile. Heck D3 even installs software on your machine so they can see what you are doing.
GGG has officially commented on this: "Never."

An offline mode would present security concerns for the online version and could (and probably would) result in a hacked client for pirate private servers.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
anubite wrote:
GGG has officially commented on this: "Never."

An offline mode would present security concerns for the online version and could (and probably would) result in a hacked client for pirate private servers.

Besides the obvious security concerns, this game has a F2P concept after open beta hits, this concept just does not work with an offline mode and thats why such a mode would be the financially worst thing GGG could do.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info