Offline mode essential!

I think, that people should get used to F2P games about them requiring you to be online in order to play such games no matter the genre they are from, because almost all of them have item shops, where people spend money on expanding game elements or gaining certain items.

I personally love online only games, because they remove a very important aspect, that can be manipulated with practically any offline mode game: backing up saves and giving/sharing items to friends (LAN mode) and reloading your profile therefore braking economy and need of adventuring to get more gold (in this game this would be currency items).

As already one said, that Offline mode may be essential to you, but I believe, that significantly much more people will be against you and in favor of Online mode only as do I, because your reasons aren't worth of destroying their business model and the game itself.

Besides, since it's a F2P game, I don't think that there would be hackers interested into wasting their time and making offline mode for this title - not worth their time and resources, since anyone can play the game for free.
Last edited by Voldzito on Sep 17, 2012, 1:42:36 PM
I've went through my tour overseas, everyone around me - and pretty much everyone I came in contact with on the FOB had access to internet. If you're in an area that doesn't have internet access, then your surroundings are probably not fully secure for civilian usage to bring in these types of luxuries and you probably have more critical missions other than making an exile on an island as powerful as possible.

I'd rather not have the devs waste their time on an offline mode, it's not needed. Yes, it's frustrating playing HC and dying due to circumstances that are sometimes out of your control but that's why they call it Hardcore.

I also believe that this has already been discussed countless times and the answer was no.
There are games that you can play offline (torchlight 2 comes to mind soon) and there are games that require a connection to play. PoE is one of those games. This is not going to change.
If there was offline mode, they would essentially be giving the game away for free to everyone who chooses to play offline only.
Visit the Path of Exile Wiki at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/
"
SpectralSlice wrote:
"
nzrock wrote:
You technically can't pirate a F2P game, and the game is online only is indeed to stop hackers/cheaters/dupers and such.
An offline mode will never happen.

Please use the search function and read the older debate threads, thanks.

Because that worked so very well for D3.

Yeah, D3 was such a fail. It only made about $350 million in the first week. I'm sure GGG wants no part of that.
There are some very good reasons for games being online only.

Online only allows updates to be universal, that is everyone plays with the same patch. This helps a lot with customer service and security. Online only also allows the game's item drop and stat roll systems to be obscured from the user, which makes it much harder to dupe or create OP items (like "whites" on open D2).

I was disappointed with D3 being online only, since the precedent the previous two games set was that it was offline and online playable. Duping and such is done in D3 with great difficulty also, probably only done because there is a huge money incentive with the RMAH. I doubt it will be nearly as common an issue with PoE which has almost no money incentive to dupe, etc.

Of course there is problems with online only- no internet = no play, and bad internet = lag, which makes playing annoying.

Also the issue of servers being around to play it on... though I would think in such a situation the devs should release an offline play patch, as a sign of good faith.
Last edited by Sir_LogiC on Sep 17, 2012, 10:53:43 PM
I think some people are over thinking it in terms of "dupers" and "hackers"... It would work perfectly well if they essentially created a stand alone game that connects to an "update only" server and has no option to play online using any of the offline characters because it would be for all intents and purposes, a separate game. Who cares if someone "hacks" their own offline game that has no ability to connect to the online servers?

Just saying...
It's supposed to be a free to play game, not just a free game.

There's a difference. :)

And if it costed money, people would just end up pirating it. Keeping it f2p = no pirating.
Last edited by Redronn on Sep 18, 2012, 12:09:10 AM
Well despite what Ubisoft and gang say, pirating IS NOT a problem when it comes to video games. People will pay money for good games, just look games like Torchlight and Minecraft. Both game are easily pirated, but have sold several million copies. As for this game, GGG has picked the F2P model, which means that its online-only. This thread should be closed cause this is never going to change.
"
I think some people are over thinking it in terms of "dupers" and "hackers"... It would work perfectly well if they essentially created a stand alone game that connects to an "update only" server and has no option to play online using any of the offline characters because it would be for all intents and purposes, a separate game.
It matters because making an offline version means that version includes all the server-side only code to generate items, handle damage, etc. And that means people can use the offline version to work out how to hack the online servers.
"
Who cares if someone "hacks" their own offline game that has no ability to connect to the online servers?

Everyone should care if someone hacks an offline version of the game, because doing so will teach them how to hack/exploit the online version.

By keeping the game online-only, no-one ever gets access to any of that code to try anything with.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Sep 18, 2012, 1:24:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info