How can I play video games...

... after watching Black Mirror - 15 million merits?
Actually, how can I do anything?
✠ ✠
I wish I knew what the hell you were talking about.
Remember when I won a screenshot contest and made everyone butt-hurt? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Had to go look up the show and synopsis of this episode:
"
A satire on entertainment shows and our insatiable thirst for distraction set in a sarcastic version of a future reality. In this world, everyone must cycle on exercise bikes, arranged in cells, in order to power their surroundings and generate currency for themselves called Merits. Everyone is dressed in a grey tracksuit and has a "doppel", a virtual avatar that people can customise with clothes, for a fee of merits. Everyday activities are constantly interrupted by advertisements that cannot be skipped or ignored without financial penalty. Obese people are considered to be second-class citizens, and work either as cleaners around the machines (where they receive verbal abuse) or are humiliated on game shows.

Pretty good dystopian premise.
The rest of the episode gets really dark after that. I realized after reading it that I've heard of this episode before.

It's a true tragedy in the literary sense. Much like my go-to tragedy, Requiem for a Dream, it's best to just avoid watching it again for a year or two, to cry it out afterward, and to try and work yourself back into your life (including the things you like, such as gaming).

Episode spoilers
If it's Abi's forced prostitution/cuckolding that really bothers you, imagine it as a call to arms to protect those you love. Striking out at loved ones is a low blow that will almost always get a strong reaction out of the reader.

If it's the concept of an omnipresent oppressive society that bothers you, use it as inspiration to go out and act on impulse. Exercise the freedoms you have. Pick a direction and go for a drive, that kind of stuff.
Last edited by pneuma on Aug 7, 2013, 3:46:13 PM
Thank you, pneuma.
✠ ✠
Xbox/Playstation + virtual worlds + advertisement + Banks = reality of the future.

I've read somewhere Robert Downey Jr. might be making a movie off of one Dark Mirror shows.

Up until recently, I never use to watch shows from the UK and BBC but I have to admit, I am really liking their shows. Luther, Sherlock and Dr. Who to name a few.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit - The Tick
"
pneuma wrote:
Everyday activities are constantly interrupted by advertisements that cannot be skipped or ignored without financial penalty.

I could live with the exercise bike, but not unskippable ads. Noooo!

"
pneuma wrote:
It's a true tragedy in the literary sense. Much like my go-to tragedy, Requiem for a Dream, it's best to just avoid watching it again for a year or two...

It's been ages since I watched Requiem for a Dream, and I'm not sure I ever will again.
Same here, I watched Requiem for a Dream when it first came out and was impressed with the gritty realism of intravenous drug use. I have recently been watching a string of older movies like, Basketball Diaries, Kids & Bad Boy Bubby. Time has not diluted their impact, they still give me the chills.
I haven't yet seen any episodes of Black Mirror but on the strength of this thread I will give it a look in.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

"
pneuma wrote:
Requiem for a Dream

I'm not a guy who's easily rattled, but I found this flick profoundly disturbing. The odd thing is that I'm somehow drawn back to watch it again when I run across it. I agree with Pneuma, though. That one all but demands a good delay between viewings.

I'm forever grateful for seeing this.
Thank You Wiggin :)
I finally got around to watching the first season of Black Mirror. The three episodes or stories are all well thought out but really twisted. Excellent execution from all involved.

I'll be watching the more recent season in the next couple of days, can't wait.

"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info