[OSX] Unofficial Path of Exile port - 30/12/2018 status update

I tried playing with the mac port. Got it to work,but the game is continuously dropping me. I am getting dropped from the game 5-10 times an hour. It is hard to play when you have to start over, and over and over.

I suggest you don't even bother unless you just want to see what it is like. If you play, you will just become frustrated.

Nice attempt, but it is still not playable.

BTW, I have a fast mac and a real fast internet connection. I have this on PC too, and it works just fine there.

O well.
"
YoYoMaTeeTa wrote:
I tried playing with the mac port. Got it to work,but the game is continuously dropping me. I am getting dropped from the game 5-10 times an hour. It is hard to play when you have to start over, and over and over.

I suggest you don't even bother unless you just want to see what it is like. If you play, you will just become frustrated.

BTW, I have a fast mac and a real fast internet connection. I have this on PC too, and it works just fine there.

O well.

Start over and over. what ? Even if you are dropped, and log back immediately the instance wont reset. Does the client crash, or you are just disconnected to login screen.
Hello,

first of all thanks you for that PoE port that, even if it has problems, is still quite playable.

I'm having some big issues about crashing since I started playing the game ( around october 2012 ) : The game plays very well, of course it loads a lot when I'm going from an area to another ( since it has to load the area , I guess ), but I have a very specific problem with the lag and the crash :

My Macbook Pro is Mid-May 2012 version , with Mountain Lion, and 13inches screen. The game plays correctly on my computer, except that it crashes a lot when I'm beginning to play in act 2 and 3 : In act 3 , it crashes like every 15 minutes. I don't even speak about the additional map where I really need my 6 portals to end one since I crash like 5 times.
The fact is my brother has the very same computer but with a 15 inches screen. He also crashes, but a lot less than me; and since he is playing a summoner/witch he lags a lot but barely crashes. I tried "copy" his game settings (graphics stuff and others..) but my game still crashes a lot.
It seems that the game can crash anytime because "Wine" tells me he had an unexpected error, but it mostly happens when there is a lot of lag. My brother stays connected and just has a big 2-3 seconds freeze/lag, but I get kicked off every time, Wine telling me he had an unexpected error. I still re-launch the game but well, I'm pretty sure I can fix some of these crashes with some help..

Is there any way that I could change some settings to avoid these crashes ? I downloaded the last version of the PoE port yesterday night since I only had the 4.0.1, but it didn't fix the problem, if it can be fixed.

Sorry for my bad English and I hope someone can give me an answer or some advices.
Good day !
"
julus wrote:
"
YoYoMaTeeTa wrote:

O well.

Start over and over. what ? Even if you are dropped, and log back immediately the instance wont reset. Does the client crash, or you are just disconnected to login screen.

What I mean is this:

Before I start, I use a bandwidth monitor to gauge my connection speed.

I log in, and start playing. Then all of a sudden everything on the screen freezes, and I notice that there is no connection to the game server. About 10-15 seconds later, I am back at the login screen. So, I log in again to resume playing... and it happens again in a few minutes. If I am in the middle of an area looking for a way point, and do not find it, I have to go back to the previous area and start the process over and over again.

Yes the game does let me keep the map for the area I just visited, but I still have to re-enter the game over and over to continue.

A couple of other things:

1) When using a way point it takes about 30-45 seconds to load, sometimes longer.
2) If too many monsters or visual effects are present on the screen, the game stalls and I die.
3) There seems to be an intermittent lag that makes it impossible to kill the more powerful creatures because they get off a few extra hits while I am lagging.
4) Wine takes up too much CPU power, using about 89% of my cpu resources.

I hope this helps to explain it a bit better.

Nice effort, but playing a game through an emulator does not work very well.
"
YoYoMaTeeTa wrote:
"
julus wrote:
"
YoYoMaTeeTa wrote:

O well.

What I mean is this:

Before I start, I use a bandwidth monitor to gauge my connection speed.

I log in, and start playing. Then all of a sudden everything on the screen freezes, and I notice that there is no connection to the game server. About 10-15 seconds later, I am back at the login screen. So, I log in again to resume playing... and it happens again in a few minutes. If I am in the middle of an area looking for a way point, and do not find it, I have to go back to the previous area and start the process over and over again.

Yes the game does let me keep the map for the area I just visited, but I still have to re-enter the game over and over to continue.

A couple of other things:

1) When using a way point it takes about 30-45 seconds to load, sometimes longer.
2) If too many monsters or visual effects are present on the screen, the game stalls and I die.
3) There seems to be an intermittent lag that makes it impossible to kill the more powerful creatures because they get off a few extra hits while I am lagging.
4) Wine takes up too much CPU power, using about 89% of my cpu resources.

I hope this helps to explain it a bit better.

Nice effort, but playing a game through an emulator does not work very well.

The screen freezes/lost connection - no one reported that as far as I can recall. Are you using any kind of FW software/antivirus? If yes, get rid of them, they are not much usefull on mac anyway.

Couple other things:
All is related to OSX bug which I can't fix. Apple knows about this for a few years.. Only workaround would be if GGG would split content.ggpk in small chunks (<50MB).
Last edited by julus on May 1, 2013, 4:06:32 PM
Uploaded new version, pretty much maintenance release. Lags are still present, as they are unfixable, but the stability and some issues are fixed. (and resizing works)

This version is NOT compatible with AMD Radeon cards on Snow Leopard and Lion. (mountain lion is ok)
Hello fellow Mac users.

First of all, thanks to Julius and the people that helped him in his portage project.

I tried to install PoE this morning on my Mac, but encountered a problem.

Here is my configuration :
"
MacBook Pro Sept. 2011
Version 10.8.3
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
4 Go RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 Mo

Seen my Graphic Card, I was wondering if I could run the game, or abandon al hope.

All went smooth during the Downloading, it took some time at the "checking update" step, but I read this could happen so I didn't worried. Then the "Play" button became available, so I clicked it. Launcher disappeared, but the PoE icon still appeared in the Dock, but no window (single or large, or fullscreen) ever appeared.

Is this a known issue ? Can you help me ?

Cordially,
Parlonsbien.
im using osx 10.6.8, 4gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 5670 512mb

I downloaded the 4.1 package and when I tried to change the resolution to 1980*1020 mouse was offseted so I put the thing in fullscreen but it then crashed. A box was saying "compatible direct 3d device could not be found' or something like that and now when I try to start it it goes in 150*150 pixels resolution so i cant do anything.
"
Tiguidou wrote:
im using osx 10.6.8, 4gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 5670 512mb

I downloaded the 4.1 package and when I tried to change the resolution to 1980*1020 mouse was offseted so I put the thing in fullscreen but it then crashed. A box was saying "compatible direct 3d device could not be found' or something like that and now when I try to start it it goes in 150*150 pixels resolution so i cant do anything.

Switching Fulscreen -> Windowed is buggy, dont do that :)
BTW: You can resize by dragging the border now.
BTW2: I think you will have serious fps problems as the 4.1 is not compatible with 10.6.8 and Radeon combination
so do you have a package who was working well with my config?

And even when dragging the corner of the little window the picture kinda stay really buggy so i cant even see the buttons.
Last edited by Tiguidou on May 5, 2013, 3:33:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info