Fast Food Restaurants

When I read some the post and about some of the attitudes in here I'm not surprised but I am still disappointed. I know that the positions being discussed here are far less than glamorous but they do serve a purpose in providing a place to start and employment for many who might not otherwise be able to find that summer job or what have you.

First ... sure a lot of the management in these places may leave something to be desired... given this you still have to ask yourself .. am I going to be the best I can or will I just sink the level of my environment? It has been my experience that generally successful people cause those around them to rise to their level rather than sinking to the level of others.

Secondly- If you are in any service industry you honestly should expect to be inconvenienced at some time or another. If you serve enough customers you will eventually come across a rude one. As a worker in these environments you don't have to like it... most of us would not in fact, but when you take a such a job you have to expect there are going to be things you might not like (probably true with almost anything)... consciously accepting any job you are committing to accept the role, it's responsibilities, it's positive sides and negative sides and to deal with them in a professional and courteous manner... if you are unable to commit to this and would be unhappy filling this kind of position.. by all means don't! You need to find something that you at least have some desire to do...so please do everyone a favor and don't take the job you really don't want in the first place and let someone who will handle it better take it instead.

Third-- If you find the way fast food places are run disgustingly and you work in one... be part of the change for good...even if you cannot get your manager to get on board... do the right things to make the place better for everyone.. you might be surprised to find that you will get others to support and work with you. The best of intentions will not define who you are... you are defined by what you do repeatedly.

I had to give one piece of advise to folks who are any phase of their career is to ask themselves who do I want to be? And then act accordingly. One thing I know is true, you cannot get to your goals by moving away from them.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Last edited by Pavshaus on Aug 2, 2013, 4:57:07 PM
Pavshaus I wholeheartedly agree with you. Let me get back to you after I finish a maintenance on our work Servers.
"
Cyrenus wrote:
Pavshaus I wholeheartedly agree with you. Let me get back to you after I finish a maintenance on our work Servers.

I take you are in IT then? Doing maintenance on servers is something I have had the fortune of doing many many times.. sometimes into the very late hours of night or early hours of morning. First time I saw Lord of the Rings was a directors boot cut on DVD while doing server maintenance. LOL!
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Yes I finally got an entry level position into my field of interest. As to the Subway incident. I went in there with a rise to the top attitude, I gave it my all and was a great employee in the beginning. Things just went bad fast, real fast. I saw things that were negative and tried suggesting corrections in a respectful manner but they always got swept under the rug. I still have photos of black mold that I found under the proofer one night when I cleaned out the bottom tray. There were too many chiefs and not enough Indians. One shift manager wanted things done entirely her way (which wasn't by the book) and the other shift manager was so controlling I was always edgy. Everyone that worked there was miserable and misery loves company so I had to be the brunt of it. The owner did not like to fire anyone either. There was one employee who was so damn angry all the time I was always having to send him outside because he would start throwing tantrums. I even mentioned it to the owner and that got swept under the rug too. I eventually just adopted a do not care attitude and started applying to jobs everywhere. I think it is the food industry which strips all sort of dignity, pride, and ambitions out of someone.

tl;dr: If you're older than 21 do what you want in life even if you have to struggle to get there.
And if you're younger than 21, just give up already. :P
I still want to hear fast food horror stories!
"
Cyrenus wrote:
Yes I finally got an entry level position into my field of interest. As to the Subway incident. I went in there with a rise to the top attitude, I gave it my all and was a great employee in the beginning. Things just went bad fast, real fast. I saw things that were negative and tried suggesting corrections in a respectful manner but they always got swept under the rug. I still have photos of black mold that I found under the proofer one night when I cleaned out the bottom tray. There were too many chiefs and not enough Indians. One shift manager wanted things done entirely her way (which wasn't by the book) and the other shift manager was so controlling I was always edgy. Everyone that worked there was miserable and misery loves company so I had to be the brunt of it. The owner did not like to fire anyone either. There was one employee who was so damn angry all the time I was always having to send him outside because he would start throwing tantrums. I even mentioned it to the owner and that got swept under the rug too. I eventually just adopted a do not care attitude and started applying to jobs everywhere. I think it is the food industry which strips all sort of dignity, pride, and ambitions out of someone.

tl;dr: If you're older than 21 do what you want in life even if you have to struggle to get there.

It is unfortunate but there are environments like that and they present even greater challenges it's true. In the end they are a test of one's metal but they should not define it. It's not easy and it sounds like you tried very hard not to succumb to the poor situation you were in so kudos to you for that. Once you kind of felt hopelessness about the work place it was a good thing to get out and look for a more positive environment to work in. Glad you were able to gain entry to what you would really like to be doing and I wish you great success!
Last edited by Pavshaus on Aug 3, 2013, 6:58:33 AM
The busier the establishment, the less they have to stretch their resources. You might need to wait 5 more minutes for that hamburger at the busy place, but at least you know it's fresh meat and not rotten leftovers. That rarely eaten menu item like the deserts at IHOP are rarely eaten for a reason, nobody eats them so they're weeks old. Busier places tend to have many more people cleaning things, and more cleaning supplies so employees can wash their hands if they feel like it.

Subway is great if you have a friend who works there, otherwise you'll get sick in my experience.

Those cheap mexican fast-food places, with all the greasy food, don't eat their huevos.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info