Marauder PvP discussion

So what are your thoughts on endgame PvP as a marauder?

I can't figure out if shield is as important as it is in diablo 2 or if it is viable to go with a 2hander, what are your thoughts on this? Another question on this note, is it possible to reach the block % cap (75)? This was done by putting points in dex in D2 and was considered standard.

I am currently thinking of going a 2h axe build with a decent amount of dexterity so that I can get some phase run + flicker strike action going for some burst dmg with high mobility, which both should be key elements in PvP.

Which class is going to be the one that marauders are going to have the toughest time dealing with? Casters or other melee classes?

Share thoughts and discuss!
Boulder bros
Last edited by Meczor on Aug 25, 2012, 9:17:01 AM
Well at the moment on my 2h axe mara(lvl 56) i use sweep with life gain on hit, life gain % and melee dmg, also molten shell, phase run and heavy strike with melee full life, melee dmg and melee to fire dmg, all auras and buffs i get over 5k armour. 2.3k hp and on heavy strike i get upto 5100 dmg (about 4.7kdps) which in pvp id imagine spamming that would be pretty damn painful.
HugeMfka - 84 Righteous Fire Duelist - 44/346 MF 6.9k Life
DemCritsOP - 84 Reave Shadow - 71k Reave / 35k Vaal Reave
Simply speaking hypothetically.. but I bet shield slam would be one of the best abilities for closing and easy damage in PvP. Since everyone is going to try to range you having an insta-close ability would probably be invaluable. Not to mention the extra armor/health/whatever you can scrounge up on it. Probably not necessary but it may be nice to have.
Last edited by VivaEmptiness on Aug 25, 2012, 1:14:01 AM
Phase Run, Flicker, Heavy, Flicker, Heavy.

Or you could get creative and use a ranged weapon to gather up some frenzy charges from any mobs near by for no-CD Flickers.

Any Marauder that doesn't pick up Unwavering could get wrecked by stun. And if you are low on cold resist, likewise for any frost-based characters as they will slow, frost, and kite you like crazy. If you don't kill them in an initial burst, either one could quickly turn the tides on you. And if you are unable to deal damage, you will be relying on potions and passive regen to keep you alive.
"
blackdeath101 wrote:
Phase Run, Flicker, Heavy, Flicker, Heavy.

Or you could get creative and use a ranged weapon to gather up some frenzy charges from any mobs near by for no-CD Flickers.

Any Marauder that doesn't pick up Unwavering could get wrecked by stun. And if you are low on cold resist, likewise for any frost-based characters as they will slow, frost, and kite you like crazy. If you don't kill them in an initial burst, either one could quickly turn the tides on you. And if you are unable to deal damage, you will be relying on potions and passive regen to keep you alive.

Yeah this is what I was thinking, it should be doing insane dmg.

What I am still thinking about is if shield is going to be really important when people have really good gear, this will greatly reduce the burst dmg with this tactic but maybe the survivability is worth it.
Boulder bros
hmm. well i calculated that by 70 (58 atm) with the SAME gear i have atm ill have 2.7k hp and around 6k armour (aura and molten), with my near 5k dps on heavy strike which i didnt calculate the 6 dmg passives im at right now, also i have full 75s on resist. but i still think a witch that kites like a boss could be nasty. i do have unwavering too, but i think PvP against anyone kiting would be a problem
HugeMfka - 84 Righteous Fire Duelist - 44/346 MF 6.9k Life
DemCritsOP - 84 Reave Shadow - 71k Reave / 35k Vaal Reave
Don't forget Elemental Weakness curse. Your 75s on resist will vanish with 1 cast.
Here's the build that I am probably going to play with when open beta starts.

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEBANTk5gGWWiYBzjiLBI6nnAWSIXoG5smBB2uU1Qe-sDIKZdlOCz7rgA70lhEPSLviEMKVMxIhjyMXFRfWGdXeCCJCe5cpGeMTKYbAjyq6bV4rxrzJMZNJ9zQ2tWo030s8N5cIRDfEI389JAC1PsBFu0ddgsJTT2zCVHnnAGGKaihoDWGZbq6QWnKfVtR4TQG6zbEgV9E0PdfL1RfP0z_we7uKQBmiN6h21IvEq6h2tD27r9-gj4gRWa-YoI7VjIP03wMV1PBu5y-oL3qJtOqHW_fLcBnbocfp1LnAIM0SrI6qQzF8udZEYYmDkyS3otBq_KU1FMoBrn3WKw-4hAn-KdFILSigbPPjjIz-L6yhSsG10u7z3GNqWZNPqxeqSAHzihcTm7P11jeJG-3c6jtuP5tvQkrw3Uh0vEfe4KQRgMX00p1J

1 handed axe and shield build focusing on survival above damage. I think bumping max resists up from 75 to 81 is going to do quite the difference in PvP, I am not sure but that's what i'm expecting at least. The rest is self explanatory, never miss, never run out of mana, never get stunned, good block chance.
Boulder bros
Last edited by Meczor on Aug 27, 2012, 11:25:01 AM
Is the passive to prevent mana leeching from you going to affect pvp mana leech from other players?

Is bloodless going to wreck life-leech builds?
Hey...is this thing on?
"
LostForm wrote:
Is the passive to prevent mana leeching from you going to affect pvp mana leech from other players?

Is bloodless going to wreck life-leech builds?

I think that is the case, it says "enemies" and not monsters. This means that this is a must have in Marauder VS Marauder
Boulder bros

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info