Vaal Oversoul

ok so I have a level 28 marauder, 2hander, 748 hp, skills are default attack, fire trap, heavy strike, ground slam, decoy totem, and molten shield, 198 str

I get absolutely MURDERED on the Vaal Oversoul and in addition it's frustrating that I have to go through 3 levels of the pyramid again after I pretty much instantly die. Any suggestions?
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vaal_Oversoul has some pretty good tips. There have also been multiple other threads describing him and his attacks, with tips on how to avoid the large majority of his damage.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
You should heed the tips sometimes when the loading screen comes up.

When in a dangerous situation make sure you open up a town portal so that you don't have to backtrack if you die.

Vaal is hard, I don't think I have ever killed him without going through a portal while fighting.

When fighting bosses or doing anything in the game you can open town portals and walk through them, It refills your potions, puts you back to full health/mana. The boss does not reset and you can keep fighting him.

Do that and you should have no problem killing him, as long as you have a portal and die you will still be able to walk through the portal and continue your fight with Vaal.

Best of luck!
Not sure what you are doing wrong but here is how I do it: kill his minions when he spawns them first, then avoid his laser beam, and run up and smash his face when he is shooting the ice on the ground. If you see him start moving around his ball arm then move back so he doesn't smash you. I beat him last night first try with a 27 shadow ~650 life and 130 dps using 2 claws. Also as most would recommend get your lightning resist up as close to 75% will help a lot.
Just one tip that I (believe it or not) didn't learn until merciless difficulty (sorry if already covered, I must write it).

When he charges the big hammer melee attack, always start to run past him - NEVER back away from him in the direction he is facing.

Once he has started that attack, it does not change direction. This is especially important if you are low on run speed.

It is possible to make it by simply moving back, but with low run speed the timing is pretty tight.
Also if you have any skill wich could be used for dodging use it in that battle - i managed to dogde all his attacks with my Shield charge Templar (thanks to the shield charge) - he is quite easy if you manage to never get hit ;)

Most usefull for this: shield charge or whirling blades
Might work: leap slam (never tried)

if you have no such skill you can still try to get away with normal movement (maybe even use you fire trap as you only direct attack against him - his melee attack has the biggest damage)
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Aug 20, 2012, 3:41:18 PM
"
Orkishwarlock wrote:

When fighting bosses or doing anything in the game you can open town portals and walk through them, It refills your potions, puts you back to full health/mana. The boss does not reset and you can keep fighting him.

The bandits reset after going through portals I think.
"
sambackward12 wrote:
ok so I have a level 28 marauder, 2hander, 748 hp, skills are default attack, fire trap, heavy strike, ground slam, decoy totem, and molten shield, 198 str

I get absolutely MURDERED on the Vaal Oversoul and in addition it's frustrating that I have to go through 3 levels of the pyramid again after I pretty much instantly die. Any suggestions?

I noticed you neglected to list your resists. Max Lightning/Fire 75%, as a melee. You should be fine if you do that.

Also, learn what arm he raises, they each indicate a different attack.
I play a mara as my main. I have noticed it is extreamly hard for maras to kill the boss. Why? The Mara normally has slow movment and attack speed due to armor and weapon choice. This alone can mean a whole lotta pain. I'd suggest joining a group to get past him. Also I have a vid of his fight on my YouTube below if you wanna check out the fight
"Bullshit, you get the game for free." - Qarl 2014
"The 5x Diamond Supporter"
the arm attack at merciless is absolutely rediculous, It just oneshots you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info