Why no self-chosen Race times? (for some at least)

"

Problem:

Johnny would then have to wait on race results until Bobby got the time to finish his precious little race.

Fail and fail.

Bigger problem: Bobby's in a jail cell. How are you going to resolve that one?
IRON MAN
"

LOL, touche

: )

OK, 72 hours is a bit too long. Nobody wants to wait 3 days to find out results. Call it 24 hours maximum. Every dollar of donation gives you one extra hour in your race window. You are not required to spend the microtransaction credit you gain through this donation, and you gain the full amount of microtransaction credit.

"
Delaying race results to make races more accessible is an acceptable change I believe.

Yes, results would be delayed. Too bad. Not everything has to be instantaneous, even in this day and age.

Wouldn't even have to delay all the results, just the winners/placements. Are you the #4 Duelist? Nobody knows, the race is still going on for another 17 hours. Did you hit level 15? You sure did, take 4 points now and maybe get more later.
IRON MAN
Last edited by Dreggon on Jul 2, 2013, 10:10:22 AM
I think, for this not to be "pay to win", you should not be able to log out, wait for a day and continue with what time you have left. Free users muling, logging out and back in to get to town etc. will burn thorough an hour of racing much less effectively than the paying ones who can do those same things, but don't get a time penalty for it.

In other words, if it's a one hour race, you should be able to pick the starting-time yourself, but it should alway end 1 hour later...
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip" - Winston Churchill
I would love to play this "descent" game without any race-timings. We play solo and a fixed amount of time, so we could also make this a single player game (even offline) just for fun and to see how far we can make it.

Generally, I don't like features that require to pay. If you really have to add such a restriction, then it has to be the very least possible amount.
I really dislike the idea of logging out and continuing later. It's a race!

With more possible runs, people could train and get better. But hey, there are already gaming addicts who play 10x more than I do, so where's the difference?
In my case, the race events start at:
- work-finishing time
- cooking/eating
- (more or less) bed time
- sleeping/working

So I could free up a slot every now and then... great.

If you allow a time-shift of just one hour, it would help a lot to participate.
Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9
Bump for now-awake-developer visibility!
IRON MAN
Sorry guys, but I think this suggestion is horrible.

Races are already a scarily non-interactive medium. You're supposed to be competing, but what you see is almost entirely solo (or maybe co-op in a party race). The one thing that does add interaction is getting notified about clear times. "Someone has gotten to the Lost Cathedral already?!?" If it wasn't for moments like that, you might forget entirely that you're playing against other players. We need to keep those moments in the game, and perhaps add more... not take them away by desynchronizing racing.

What I'd like to see instead are more things that remind players that it's not a solo affair and they're part of an actual event... stuff like "ghosted" versions of other players with similar XP totals in the same instance so you can see how fast they're moving through, and increased announcements such as continual updates on the Top 10 in each class when they level.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
+1

I love to race but since I work and have other responsibilities as well it's hard to match the race schedule. It is even worse now in S3 then in S2, at least then there where more or less always a race going on although maybe not the one you want to do.

This would solve my problems and allow me to race more frequent, which I would like to do. But I agree with SonOfSon: you should not be able to "pause" your race, once you have started say a 1h race then you have 1h from the start time irregardless of if you are logged in or not.
Here's my attempt at a workable solution.

Races can be entered up to 3 hours after the start for example:

Race registration starts at 6pm, you can start playing then or choose to start somewhere in the 3 hour window. So if I finally get online at 7pm and can start and still get my 1 hour race in. I can start at 8:59pm and finish at 9:59pm. Results for the race will be delayed by 3 hours which seems like a good compromise.

Time does not carry over, if you start at 7pm your 1 hour race will finish at 8pm, you can't do it in 30 min stints.

To be eligible you have to have purchased micro-transaction points. To address multiple accounts attempting the race each reward could be soul bound, not a huge fan of this idea though.

Longer race events 24h+ are not eligible for this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info