Rushing... Legitimate Tactic or Poor Etiquette?

"
Firebrand76 wrote:
"
Vooodu wrote:

Well, its arena.

Its like a boxing match, ones that bell rings its on.

Nothing wrong with rushing duels.

In boxing, it's a part of tradition for sportsmanship and respect to touch gloves at the beginning of a match.

It's not mandatory but basically an unwritten rule.

ohh shhnap
There was an interesting article somewhere on what sets apart a good gamer from a very good gamer and it basically boiled down to playing to win, wish I could find it. The gist of it was though, that a very good gamer has complete disregard for etiquette and social boundaries and uses every dirty or conventional trick there is to win. Wether this be an over powered skill that can 1 shot or a permanent stun or even glitches (at the risk of bans if serious) and yes rushing, if it works use it to your advantage. After all they could do the same to you they have just chose to place them selves above using such tactics because its an "easy way to win" when in reality its just that its hard to defend against or they don't know how so its frowned upon.

Conclusion - If you play to win use every dirty tactic available, If not accept your going to lose sometimes and play with etiquette.

Edit: If anything NOT using the easy win methods will cause more harm than good in the long run as nobody will bother to come up with a way to defend or work around such tactics and brand it as broken or bad etiquette. So really the use of these "bad tactics" is pushing for further player progression in both skill and equipment to defend against them (or the fixing of bugs if using that risky method).
Last edited by TheMadCow on Jun 28, 2013, 3:58:52 PM
"
TheMadCow wrote:
The gist of it was though, that a very good gamer has complete disregard for etiquette and social boundaries and uses every dirty or conventional trick there is to win.

You can not be serious. What you just described is basically a sociopath.

I suppose you rationalize it's ok to hack in to others accounts to steal currency/gear, run trade scams, or rip off noobs all "for the greater good" as well? As long as you're coming out ahead, who cares about others right?

If you have to resort to "dirty tactics" to get ahead, then you weren't that good to begin with.
IGN: _Firebitch
Firstly, I did not say have disregard for real life law, that deals with your hacking and stealing comment.

Secondly, I was referring to pvp situation only not a general game situation as in trading or meeting new players.

And lastly, I also did not say "resort" the most skilled player ever to grace pvp could choose the option to use the "bad etiquette" methods over the skilled methods to ensure he wins 100% of the time instead of 90% of the time. More realistic numbers would be say, someone who wins pvp 60% of the time, if they didn't play "nicely" all the time could jump up to 80%.

Edit: The idea is to have the maximum chance of winning at all costs not break every conceivable rule in life more just be 100% competitive and 0% nice. Imagine it was a tournament with a (*insert your currency* £)1,000,000 prize and there were no added tournament rules etc. would you play nice or go for the 1,000,000 the best way you knew?
Last edited by TheMadCow on Jun 28, 2013, 5:00:22 PM
Why not just play nicely and accept you'll lose once in a while to a superior player?

Edit: Win at all costs = sociopath.

Instead of going the cheap route, maybe you could brainstorm a more legitimate way of winning?

Taking short cuts could be robbing yourself of further character development.
Last edited by Firebrand76 on Jun 28, 2013, 5:09:29 PM
A sociopath is a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behaviour and a lack of conscience.

I didn't say whomever plays 100% competitive doesn't feel bad about winning so easily? Also they could be the nicest person ever outside of pvp and then upon entering, play to win.

Just because one person wants to win more than the other does not mean they are a sociopath! if that were the case all sportsmen are sociopaths all gaming tournament players are sociopaths, Kripparian (to keep it more poe based) is a sociopath? Yeah it doesn't work like that.

Also you missed the point, why not play nicely and accept you'll lose to a superior player? Thats the entire point of the idea ...What is a superior player? Someone who wins and never looses or someone who wins in a nice way and looses a lot? It's a complicated subject that could be debated for eternity. But if you look at it on pure statistics the superior one is the one who wins and never loses.
Last edited by TheMadCow on Jun 28, 2013, 5:22:28 PM
Believe it or not, you can be a nice guy (play with sportsmanship and respect) and still be competitive. Case in point... Arguably the top active players in POE pvp, Soggypocket in lld and Templarthefall in merc.

They win by the merits of their builds alone. They wait till the other player is ready, and if they ever do lose for whatever reason, they don't bitch and moan or make excuses.

Most of the win at all cost players I've encountered, will either gloat and be a dick if they win, rage quit if they're down in points, or go berserk as if you just ate their first born when they lose.
Last edited by Firebrand76 on Jun 28, 2013, 6:57:37 PM
"
Firebrand76 wrote:
or go berserk as if you just ate their first born when they lose.

Well that is just brilliant.

Anyway, yes it is true the sort to be competitive usually goes a long with a vile behaviour but its not always the case. Although I cant comment on the players you mentioned (I don't even play pvp, I play Hardcore / Onslaught this is just an interesting topic to discuss) It is possible to win on skill and build alone if you've learned to combat the "easy win" tactics, which brings it back to I think my Edit# on my original post. That the use of "bad tactics" encourages player progression to eventually overcome such tactics.

P.S. I must sleep now =)
Last edited by TheMadCow on Jun 28, 2013, 6:41:34 PM
If people want to rush then they are free to do that but if someone weaker than me doesn't let me cast my auras then I'll simply congratulate him on his victory and not challenge him again in the future.

There's plenty of other PVPers that I can play against and there's no need to get angry at those who are using tactics allowed by the game to gain an advantage.
"
TheMadCow wrote:
Firstly, I did not say have disregard for real life law, that deals with your hacking and stealing comment.

So pretty much your morality is limited to 'real life', which is expected and appreciated? But without restraints or benefit, your moral obligations ceases to exist?
not bool cro
Last edited by exmse on Jun 28, 2013, 11:35:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info