An extension to the chrome web browser that allows you to find crafting recipes and helps to organise your inventory. Initially developed by HouseAbsolute then updated by TJJ. I have taken the sourcecode and mutilated it beyond recognition.
You can download the extension here: http://njs50.github.com/poe_ext/
now requires this dodgy workaround as windows chrome now only works with app store apps. bleh!
1) get a zip of the extension source code from github: https://github.com/njs50/poe_ext/zipball/master
2) unzip it to someplace you can find it
3) type chrome://extensions into your address bar in chrome
4) click load unpacked extension, find the folder from 2) and select the poe_ext folder inside it, click okay. it is might be confusing because you probably have a poe_ext folder with another poe_ext folder inside it, sorry! you want the inner most poe_ext folder (i think!)
5) make sure it's enabled
old instructions (probably don't work unless you're on a mac like me :p)
1) click https://raw.github.com/njs50/poe_ext/master/poe_ext.crx to download the file
2) Ignore the message about not being able to install
3) Type in chrome://extensions in the address bar to go to your extensions page.
4) drag the file you downloaded in 1 (should be on the bottom of your screen still) into this page.
- Log in to pathofexile.com with "Remember Me" checked.
- Open the chrome app (new tab page -> apps -> PoE Helper).
- Select the league you want to view.
- Whenever you want to refresh the items from the server you need to click Refresh then either "All or Partial (and select which parts to refresh).
- Select either the crafting recipe you want to make (only ones you can make are shown) or View Inventory to see what items you have.
What's a good way to make this thing work for me?
One of the old incarnations of this extension used to ping the sever every few minutes to see if you could make any new recipes. Unfortunately the load it caused was death to the server so the throttling was added (see below). One of the ways you can work around this is:
* Whore up a sack full of loot, identifying it as you go (takes a min or two before the server seems to realise you've picked something up and id'd it).
* Use the partial refresh function to refresh only the character you are playing.
* See if you won anything in the crafting screens... If you have to dump stuff back into your stash you might want to refresh those tabs on the next run too.
Why is it so slow to load initially/refresh?
Because the PoE website throttles how many requests you can make in a given time period. At the moment it is ~15 requests per 60 seconds. There is one request per character on your account and then there will be one request per stash tab for each league you select.
When will [critical issue] be fixed?
Are you sure you have the latest version? It should autoupdate, but if you aren't on at least version 0.50 then you probably have an old version and need to reinstall. If you are on the latest version and it's broken then I guess it'll be fixed when I feel like it...
How can I help fix it?
You can get the source code / fork the project here:
In theory you could also post issues and update (or create) the wiki pages there too :p
Did you check with the devs before releasing this?
No. The information this application uses is freely available in your browser, queried via the same methods that the PoE site itself uses. I don't see mashups of this nature as something for which one needs to seek permission.
Is this a hack?
No, it doesn't use the game in any shape or form. Just the item browser from the website, in exactly the same way a human would use it.
Is there a warranty?
LOL no. Use at your own risk. But I think it should be OK, I did what I could to avoid putting excessive load on the server and if the devs ask me to change it to put less load I will.
Will you make this for [Firefox/IE/Opera/Safari]?
No, that would be a lot of extra work for minimal benefit. Chrome is free, hard drive space is cheap. Download it and use it for this.