Suggestions from another game developer

I think this game is gona be great even better then the diablo series tbh
Of course! I would like to see this game succeed as much as anyone else. I personally would like to play it for years to come.
"
geegeebro wrote:

I actually did not claim to have exaggerated armor, only improve the silhouette of the characters with interesting armor pieces.

Maybe I read too much into the 'Protruding shoulder pads, gloves/ helms etc.' comment thinking you meant the exaggerated style seen in D3 and other recent games.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
geegeebro wrote:

C)Animation canceling/Animation casting
I see that while firing an arrow you have to wait for the entire animation to end before moving, which also makes the slow combat apparent. Although if attack speed and movement speed are improved I think this area would be too. If it doesn't help, then there needs to be a code that cancels x amount of animation frames on movement activation.

Casting aurora spells while moving stops the player to play the animation is a bit of a problem too, and I'm sure most people have been frustrated to have to cast, stand still and be attacked. Casting while moving promotes faster and better paced combat.

I think this is a very valid point. It has nothing to do, in my opinion, with realism. I play ranged, and you can't move until the character reached for an arrow in his quiver. I think everybody understand that most of the time, bowyers stop to aim and shoot, and start moving again while they reach for that arrow.

In my opinion, allowing the character to move just after the arrow is launched, is being realistic.

My two cents.
Last edited by Vastarel on Jul 31, 2012, 8:45:42 PM
"
Maybe I read too much into the 'Protruding shoulder pads, gloves/ helms etc.' comment thinking you meant the exaggerated style seen in D3 and other recent games.

Of Course nothing as extreme as Diablo 3. I was thinking more of medievil or 200BC "gladiator" era.

Similar to these screenshots-

As you can see it provides a much more interesting silhouette. I'm not entirely sure how much reference images the artists at GGG are using but I hope they are using a lot. As an artist I collected about 50-250 images for a single piece to designate design and interest.

"
In my opinion, allowing the character to move just after the arrow is launched, is being realistic.

Yes I think after the arrow has launch there needs to be a cut in animation if movement happens.

1.Clunky-ness

I would agree, but hopefully it will get a lot better once the game reaches release. It was a whole lot worse than it is now.

B)Movement speed/attack speed

I like the idea of starting off really weak and once you get more weapons/armor you become faster strong better. It suits the lore of the game and makes it more of an accomplishment when you really start raping face. However I think they need to adjust the numbers a little bit in the beginning.

The visual appearance/aesthetics of Armor

Some of the cool armor skins might be added in the cash shop. I haven't seen any of the end game armor, but hopefully as the finish act 3, you'll see cooler sets of armor.
"
geegeebro wrote:

B)Movement speed/attack speed
Having played an insane amount of hours in diablo 2, and 3, knowing the pros and flaws of both, I know this game strives to be Diablo 2's "sequel". In POE I examined the thing that is instantly wrong with the player is that the movement speed and attack speed are extremely slow for a long period of time until you get movespeed/att speed equipment and stats. While this may be appropriate initially and a gradual curve build-up, I believe this is the wrong idea.

Totally agree.
I have noticed a lot of what you have mentioned aswell.
Very good write.
i've recently acquired 30% movespd boots on my maurader, and i think he moves a bit too fast. i dont think adding more atk and move spd is balanced cuz you would too easily be able to run in to a pack of mobs, hit them (maybe even a couple of times), and run out before they even get a chance to hit you. its surely doable currently, but i don't want every build to be able to pull it off. i played d3 before coming to poe, but i think poe's pace is pretty good where its at.
Last edited by Asayus on Dec 19, 2022, 4:33:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info