New to PoE. Looking for Tank build feedback

Haven't even loaded the game yet. I like to do the reasearch before I build so I don't get to max level and realize I've wasted half my points...

I have quite a bit of tanking experience so I understand the basic concepts of mitigation and threat generation. I aimed this build to target +armor%/ +avoidance% while still grabbing some decent 1H dps passives and Troll/ Golem Blood.

It's a first draft and definately room for improvments. All feedback welcomed. Thank you for your time.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEBANTk5gGWWiYBzjiLAmUqhgZXD2wG5smBB2uU1Qe-sDIKqDEdDvSWEQ9Iu-IQTvZSEiGPIxapnzYXFRfWG42kkh0Rr7Qg_v6OIrX6zST7DmImkyM_KRnjEymGwI8qum1eK8a8yS99Gkkxk0n3NDa1ajTfSzw3lwhEPSQAtT0qvvg-wEW7QS3w9EM9xqxHEit0UOMCMFNPbMJbecGXW6lBsV0LwSlgeC-sYXE2U2GKaihkplC0aA1hmWibpftxaSDdcpXop3fO0Ox5-RvFet9YEKh2tD2tw9oxmlgJUNWMg_TwbucvtOqHW7-cAz7zynLm-d305ffLcBnbocfp1LnAIM0SrI7jK2hFiYOTJLei0Gr8pTUUygGufff0myjBKrPUqkgB88l6D_qKFxObs_XWN4kb7dzqO24_2NnGr6662-G7r9-gj4gRWa-YoI6Q_ny9ioV0PfQ0JfTNsSBX0TQ918vVF8_TP_B71IvEq5yDYtvZ7W0Dt4DgaZfUxwaH457WtGauDf8VHDfv9OUtk4cffqoFOlaAyTPV80d3GKtlVdKrMCrjrHZMVcJ7tninu0nS6P1idw==

edit: I updated my build design with 71 points on my following post
Last edited by Whambulance911 on Jul 31, 2012, 2:50:41 PM
You're using too many points which makes it hard to evaluate the build.

At the moment there's content for characters till the 6X level. So builds should be viable with 71 points (59 level-ups +12 Quest Bonus Points).

You'll see it's much harder to come up with a viable build with only those points, some people have done it successfully nonetheless.
As slir said; Too many points being used. try using 71 or even less and that way you'll see a build that is actually achievable semi-easily.

But apart from that; It's obviously a pretty nice build :].
Well that sucks....good to know now, so I thank you for that, but it definately cuts my build in half. Forces me to choose between overall dmg or survivability. I think I'll stick to my original design and go for the defensive tank build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEBANTk5gHOOIsCZSqGBubJgQdrlNUHvrAyCz7rgA70lhEPSLviEiGPIxcVF9Yg_v6OIrX6zST7DmImkyM_KRnjEymGwI8qum1eL30aSTGTSfc0NrVqNN9LPDeXCEQ9JAC1PSq--D7ARbtBLfD0Qz3GrFNPbMJbecGXYHgvrGGKaihhmt9KaA1hmXFpIN13ztDsefkbxa3D2jHVjIP08G7nL7Tqh1u_nAM-88py5vnd9OX3y3AZ26HH6dS5wCDNEqyO4ytoRYmDkyS3otBq_KU1FMoBrn339JsoqHa0Pbuv36CPiBFZzbEgV9E0PdfL1RfP0z_we9SLxKvWKw-4qkgB88l6D_qKFxObs_XWN6662-GyvDr8iRvt3Oo7bj8=

I opted for the dexterity route instead of Catalyze for the more defensive options, like:
52% Life
1% regen/ sec
70% Armor
40% Evasion

Although I do miss out on the dps stats:
60% Elemental Dmg
38% Phys dmg
90str

In the long run, is a defensive tank a viable option? Are there endgame dungeons/ events that require such a roll? I did pick up Lava Lash and the +fire dmg passives by the Resolute tree and do intend on running with Infernal Blow. By not grabbing Catalyze should I even bother with Lava Lash/ Infernal Blow?

Thank you in advance for all feedback
Anyone?
Needs more hp and regen to tank, maybe even more block.

Those 6% fire damage nodes really are a waste for you.
Awesome, thank you. I took those nodes in order to add some sort of dps boost, but I guess they really wont add that much in the long run
"
SEOINAGE wrote:
Needs more hp and regen to tank, maybe even more block.

Ok so I've been staring at my tree for the past two days trying to find a way to add more hp/ regen/ block into the mix. Even if I sacrificed the entire Dexterity portion of my build and went for the big +life% portion in the middle, it would only yeild 30% more life with .5% regen...not really enough to justify respecing considering I'd be sacrificing ALOT of defensive abilities. Not to mention that I only spent 4 points on block talents and ended up with 14% block +20% shield defences...can't find a better deal

If I've learned anything during my tanking career its that high HP isn't enough to win. It needs to be a sweet balance of great HP with other defensive stats, like avoidance (evasion) and dmg reduction (armor), that make tanks very successful. I.e. Effective health > hp

Here is my most recent tweak to the original design:

And this is the summary for all the abilities. I still am open to suggestions, but please be specific as to what/ where I can change. Every build could always use more of something to make it better, but we aren't given 1000 points to fill the trees...

Spec Summary
+Str - 280
+Dex - 70
+Life% -115%
+LifeRegen% - 5%
+Armor% - 113%
+Block% - 14% (20% defences)
+Evasion% - 40%
+MeleeDmg% - 74%
+AttackSpeed% - 19%
+MovementSpeed% - 2%
Resolute Technique