New Video: Dyadus Detonate Dead [The Dyadus Thread]

Latest Video: New Dyadus video up! It's based on a build I found on the forums... the Dyadus Detonate Dead. ENJOY!

http://youtu.be/TmcFKep15qA

Enjoy!

First Video: Dyadus has been shunned by some for its low attack speed. That, however, is not how I wanted Dyadus to be used. I've done my first ever youtube video (PLEASE BE GENTLE!) on how I wanted Dyadus builds to look like. I've been waiting for a long time to see a burn build with Dyadus but never saw one. Figured I'd just go out and do a proof of concept hopefully to get people better than I am at this game thinking about this build.

ENJOY! (if not the build, then at least listening to me mangle my words.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohLekEX7dhI

_OLD THREAD_
So release is out (well, at this hour, the patch download that is) and I'm waiting patiently for the first Dyadus drop to get posted in the uniques thread. Fingers crossed that you guys like it. Thanks again all for your contributions and feedback and ideas. I really enjoyed this unique unique-making process (no pun intended) and all credit goes to Rory for his logical advice and patience with my incessant chasers. Maybe if I have time one day, I may just follow up this post with our email exchange (the key ones at least) so you guys can see how the entire creation process went.

Thanks to GGG too for giving me this great opportunity to do something special to celebrate the birth of my twins with(well, they're 16 months old now... so it's a little far from their birth, but still). Means a lot to me! My wife's making t-shirts with Dyadus printed on it soon. Maybe I'll post up the photos of the real life Dyadus wearing T-shirts with their pixel forms on them ;)

As always, looking forward to hearing what you guys think about the unique and what builds you would do with it. Cheers!

BUILD LIST

The Basics
Spoiler
Twin Dyadus cleave / dual strike + splash
Variant 1: Tri ele attacks (with added lightning damage and static blows)
Variant 2: More burn (cold to fire for increased burn and double dipping of passives. Chill still sustainable with 100% increased duration

Dyadus + Soul Taker cleave / dual strike + splash
Same as above but ST chills with physical, which scales better than cold
Less burn bonus from having only 1 Dyadus
No mana issues

Spoiler
1H + Rise of the Phoenix (I like the dragon / phoenix imagery here)
Slight increase in burn damage due to physical converting to fire
Almost immune to reflect due to Phoenix shield
No loss in leech vs Twin Dyadus since focus was never on physical to begin with

Elemental Equilibrium builds
Spoiler
Dyadus is one of the few melee items that actually allows Melee EE builds. Good for solo but won't work in parties with damage auras unfortunately.
Cyclone
wooser69 had thought of this separately as well
High speed alternation between attacks leads to faster stacking of burn + chill
50% damage reduction due to 2 hits per spin reduces potential max burn damage by half

Heavy Strike + splash
Highest base damage means big ignites, which is further boosted by EE
Lack of multistrike in addition to HS knockback makes it hard to aim hits

Reave or Spectral throw
Lots of burn and chill all over
DW increases speed at which ailments are delivered
Needs burn to hopefully at least match the dps of a good 2H

Offhand builds
Spoiler
Infernal blow
Credit to megabronco on reddit for the idea
Offhand to provide chill and burn bonus for infernal blow burns

Caster/semi-caster builds
Spoiler
Twin Dyadus, EK with Hatred and Added Fire Damage
Cold + Fire = lots of burn on top of EK phys damage

Twin Dyadus Cyclone + Blood rage + Enduring cry on damage taken + discharge on high level cast on damage taken = Spinning burning discharge
CYCLONE OF DOOM!!! 'Nuff said

PREVIOUS DISCUSSION
Spoiler

I'm a newly minted Eternal supporter and am very excited about creating my new unique. A little bit of background, I have a pair of boy-girl twins (born in the chinese year of the dragon) who are coming to 1 yr old now. As you would imagine my life revolves around them (and the game) (and yes, my wife every now and then... and her 2 pet dogs).

Given that, I'd like the unique to be themed around twins.

I've dropped a note to Rory with 2 ideas:
(i) a one-handed blade that takes up both weapon slots and
(ii) a ring that doubles its effect when 2 of it is worn. The twin rings seems to be workable. I'd be interested to hear from everyone what you would want in a unique with the following characteristic:

There should be 1 positive affix and 1 negative affix that double when 2 rings are worn to show how having 2 at the same time is both a boon and a bane (perhaps + x dmg and - x armor for each ring worn). I'd like the positive and negative affixes to play well against each other so that players can either choose a 1 ring build, a 2 ring build, or a build where players can change the number of rings depending on the situation. It would be annoying to have to change rings mid battle but I think that's a mechanism, if the reward is attractive enough, that I'd find quite interesting.

Happy to hear your thoughts on the above as I continue to refine this idea. Some things I'm thinking about:

- Item name / quote
- What base item to use?
- What should the positive / negative affixes that double up on a 2 ring build be? They should interplay nicely with each other such that players will really have to spend time thinking about a 1 ring or 2 ring setup. I was originally thinking of having item quantity / quality as the positive, but that seems quite unexciting and a mere copy of the andvarius
- how much of a benefit would you require in order to trouble yourself with switching between 1 ring and 2 rings in the middle of battle?
- Would you want ALL the affixes on the ring to double up? or only a few key select ones?

Thanks for your help! (and sorry in advance if I don't adopt any of your ideas. it's not that it's not great, but there are only so many affixes I can play around with)

EDIT #1
Thanks for all the comments so far. Some very very good ideas that I'll respond to later. I just wanted to clarify upfront that I'm only making ONE ring. Players can get two of this ring and wear 1 each on both slots. Unfortunately, I'm not rich enough to afford 2 uniques so can't make 2 different and disparate ones.

EDIT #2
Sorry it took a while getting back to some of you guys who've been helping out. I've been discussing with Rory a bit (albeit slowly as he has been busy with other stuff). Having given this further thought, I think I'll be going with twin axes instead of rings.

I know there's Soul Taker out there, and that there's an upcoming winged axes that take up both slots, but my SOLE rationale for doing axes is just so I can have an axe head that looks like a dragon. Something like:
Spoiler

but without the blade coming out of the mouth because that just looks like puke (or a Merlion... which would represent where I'm from :S )

Affixes-wise, not to worry, I won't go down the Soul Taker route. Understand there are a couple of burning-themed uniques in the works so I'll need to spend more time making this unique more... unique :S

Will continue to keep you guys posted, thanks!

As a side note, here's my currently proposed flavour text:

She forged her twins with blood and fire,
in the year of the Water Dragon.
Fiercely proud and proudly fierce,
they stood by her, forever.

EDIT #3
First draft sketches! Can't wait already! :D :D :D Thanks Rory and Campbell!

Spoiler

EDIT #4
Final design up! Thanks Campbell and Rory! :D Now on to balancing and testing :)
Spoiler

EDIT #5
Minor update for all:

- The missus saw the design and said she wanted to print them on kiddy T-shirts so I can dual wield my twins :S

- While Rory's super busy with 0.11.6, he's targeting to have this out at release. Clearly not guaranteed, but colour me excited!
EDIT #6

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far guys. So the unique has been sitting in GGG's computer waiting for balancing and testing for quite a while now. Finally received, some good news from Rory:

- Affixes should be more or less final with some tweaking of numbers
- This baby should likely be in for release!

Since I can barely hold back my excitement, I thought I'd disclose the affixes but leave out the numbers which are still subject to testing and adjusting. Here goes nothing!

Adds [x] - [y] Fire Damage while in your Main Hand weapon slot
Adds 25% Chance to Ignite while in your Main Hand weapon slot
Adds [x] - [y] Cold Damage while in your Off Hand weapon slot
Adds 100% Chill Duration while in your Off Hand weapon slot
Enemies Chilled by you take [x]% increased Burning Damage
[x]% increased Attack Speed
[Note: This speed affix may ultimately be removed. We'll see]

Enjoy!

Yes yes, I'm sure there'll be a lot of moaners out there "not more stuff for Ele cleave". I agree that we do need less ele cleave in this game but alas is something that cannot be avoided with most elemental melee weapons the way the game is currently structured.

That being said, I'm hoping the above encourages people to try out skill gems or passive nodes that haven't been common for melee characters before.

I'd be super interested to hear what you guys think and what builds you guys would create with this! :D
Last edited by dlrr on May 24, 2014, 1:41:08 PM
Last bumped on Sep 15, 2016, 10:08:51 PM
Yep, skip the one-handed sword idea since Charan's already done it.

As for twin-rings, switching in the middle of a fight is not a good mechanic, as it's very fiddly and uninteresting.

Consider that with 1 ring, you have 25% of the possible effect, while with two rings, each ring doubles to 50% effectiveness for total 100% effectiveness. You'd want a mechanic that provides a decent benefit with a reasonable drawback, but when multiplied by a factor of 4 is capable of defining a build, and even make possible certain builds that are otherwise impossible. Likewise the drawback would need to be something that affects the power of the benefit, and not something where you can completely ignore it by going dual spork totems.

This item is also yours - what sort of character do you enjoy playing? Melee or spellcaster? Lightning strike, or actual melee? Ranger? Freeze-pulser? Totem-user? Traps?
IRON MAN
Last edited by Dreggon on Jun 12, 2013, 12:37:06 AM
"
Dreggon wrote:
Yep, skip the one-handed sword idea since Charan's already done it.

As for twin-rings, switching in the middle of a fight is not a good mechanic, as it's very fiddly and uninteresting.

Consider that with 1 ring, you have 25% of the possible effect, while with two rings, each ring doubles to 50% effectiveness for total 100% effectiveness. You'd want a mechanic that provides a decent benefit with a reasonable drawback, but when multiplied by a factor of 4 is capable of defining a build, and even make possible certain builds that are otherwise impossible. Likewise the drawback would need to be something that affects the power of the benefit, and not something where you can completely ignore it by going dual spork totems.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Something fun like deals and recieves -25% elemental damage might be rather unique, so having two of the rings would put you at pure physical only, something that isnt done much at all.
And if you close your eyes, does it feel like your exalt almost hit this time~
"
Eternallight wrote:

Something fun like deals and recieves -25% elemental damage might be rather unique, so having two of the rings would put you at pure physical only, something that isnt done much at all.

See, there's another idea - you could even do "-25% elemental damage, +25% physical damage". Maybe not what you want, but it's something to work with. This wouldn't get into the game since any build that just doesn't use elemental damage would be overpowered.

Personally I'd love anything that means I don't need to get a damned Shavronne's Wrappings.
IRON MAN
Last edited by Dreggon on Jun 12, 2013, 12:39:26 AM
"
Eternallight wrote:

I could get behind that, but to be fair, I AM a pure phys build, and have been for my entire time here.

As for name, Genimi Bands? Or of that's not sufficiently cliche, Twinned Gemini Bands of Doubling. Just to make sure people get the theming. :D
"
Dreggon wrote:
"
Eternallight wrote:

See, there's another idea - you could even do "-25% elemental damage, +25% physical damage". Maybe not what you want, but it's something to work with. This wouldn't get into the game since any build that just doesn't use elemental damage would be overpowered.

Personally I'd love anything that means I don't need to get a damned Shavronne's Wrappings.
\

True, would need some other sort of mitigating factor since you can ignore resists that way. Maybe it would also reduce your armor by 25% as well. Would be strange to see 0 armor and pure physical go together lol.
And if you close your eyes, does it feel like your exalt almost hit this time~
Try to avoid any drawbacks that hurt a characters survivability, as that tends to be a enough of a turn off that players will deem it worthless. I would say give a drawback that hurts something of utility like movement speed or increase the number of flask charges consumed. Something that doesn't directly affect survivability.

For a quote you say your children are your life, why not something like "The twin dragon spirits entwines your very being" that is the best I could come up with.
You could even have effects that only work when you have one ring equipped, and that don't work when you have both - or vice versa. Example:

20% Less Armor and Evasion
Converts 25% of Armor to Energy Shield
Converts 25% of Evasion to Energy Shield
25% of chaos damage does not bypass energy shield

With 2 rings, you'd have 80% less armor and evasion, but that armor and evasion would become energy shield - and, with two of these rings, you'd have a ghetto Shavronne's, but have no armor or evasion, only energy shield. In fairness this is a selfish item that I would make, so only use it as an example.

e: and I see I didn't even pay attention to my first sentence, bah
IRON MAN
Last edited by Dreggon on Jun 12, 2013, 12:58:30 AM
How about a unifying effect with your rings.
Such as, a hugely negative effect for only equipping one ring, but with both equipped at the same time the effect is removed and a bonus positive effect is added?

A little play on sibling bonds, I guess.
Last edited by Nituvious on Jun 12, 2013, 12:58:55 AM
Make 1 ring good, and the other the evil twin.

The good ring makes monsters hate you more, drawing 30% more aggro to yourself and away from other players & pets. However, it grants a unique "justice" aura that grants +15% armor to all pets & party members...but no benefit to you personally.

The evil ring on the other hand, makes monsters more 15% more likely to ignore you, in favor of targeting everyone else. However, it also gives you a -30% armor "scoundrel" aura to you alone.

Doubling up on either ring doubles the % effects.

However, wearing both a good + evil ring grants a "true neutral" aura, which makes dual weilders deal +15% fire & ice status effect chance.
Last edited by bladelaw on Jun 12, 2013, 1:16:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info