Plot inconsistency with Helena dialogue

"
etunne wrote:
As for Oak, as he resides in pools and streams he probably harasses the village by having his men pee in the rivers that eventually become the village's water supply

Thankyou for that good laugh, lol
"
Mikrotherion wrote:
Gotta go through that again, but as far as I remember Tarkleigh asks you to open the pass to the forest, for there be nice pickings (of berries and stuff) and more food than you can shake a stick at.

I suppose part of the problem has to do with exposition. What the hell is Lioneye's watch? Why is it even called that? How long has it been there? How often do new exiles find their way to it? What is the current situation like? What are the prospects for surviving the days/weeks to come? Has anyone been inland before? How does Tarkleigh even know it's there?

The best we can do is make educated guesses for the most part, which doesnt come remotely close to creating adequate exposition for what we're expected to do.

That doesnt even address the issue of character motivation. GGG decided specifically NOT to go the tried and true route of "hero arrives and sets out to conquer evil." Well, guess what? That means you've got to step up your game when it comes to character motivation, and so far, we have no motivation for anything whatsoever beyond *maybe* getting the medicine chest in exchange for a bed and some sustenance, and I'm making up the trade in that instance.
IGN: Iolar
"
BRavich wrote:

I suppose part of the problem has to do with exposition. What the hell is Lioneye's watch? Why is it even called that? How long has it been there? How often do new exiles find their way to it? What is the current situation like? What are the prospects for surviving the days/weeks to come? Has anyone been inland before? How does Tarkleigh even know it's there?

Literally all of those questions are answered in game. Every single one. Including a very good incentive to carve a way inland.

EDIT: Since I forgot to answer the actual topic:

"

Helena's dialogue concerning Lorrata, which appears after killing the Weaver, presents a confusing situation. She opens by saying, "The tree that Yeena calls Lorrata is the only thing standing in between Piety and whatever awaits behind that ancient gateway to the northwest...". Helena then goes on to implore us to destroy the tree with the Baleful Gem and the Spike, so that we can try and beat Piety in a race to the Pyramid---but if the tree is the only thing standing in the way of Piety, why would we kill the tree at all? Why not just destroy or hide the spike and gem and leave the way trapped to everyone?

Besides, how does Oak have any influence over the township if nothing, not even Piety, can pass through the barrier? It's something that could probably be fixed with a few tweaks to the dialogue, but right now that whole bit with the tree doesn't make a lot of sense.

Oak can reach the natives and other bandits via boats. My memory is fuzzy but one of the bandits implies that it is how he got there in the first place, though it might be my memory is playing tricks on me. Either way, fashioning simple boats considering the amount of lumber available shouldn't be hard. In fact, the players could probably get there using that way too, but Helena sends them through the ruins anyway.

Helena is more concerned about what is in the Vaal Ruins. She wants you to get there before Piety finds an alternative, she does not imply that it is the only way to get there nor that Piety wont find a different way to force her way through. Helena does not want to simply prevent Piety from getting into the ruins, she wants to make sure that nothing that is in there can be used.

Oak and his wouldn't have much incentive to try and get into the ruins from their side, they do not strike me as the adventurer/explorer sort. That is even considering that his side is open before the Oversoul is released.
Last edited by jamnik_pucek on Jun 10, 2013, 5:16:41 PM
"
jamnik_pucek wrote:
She wants you to get there before Piety finds an alternative, she does not imply that it is the only way to get there nor that Piety wont find a different way to force her way through. Helena does not want to simply prevent Piety from getting into the ruins, she wants to make sure that nothing that is in there can be used.

I dont know, this sounds pretty straigthforward ... ''the only thing standing in between Piety and whatever awaits behind that ancient gateway to the northwest'' ... seems like it is indeed the only way, and the storyline hence has a glitch. But this has always been an issue with arpgs lol, look at how much stuff they retconned from D1 and D2, and look how D3's story is totally butchered and makes zero sense. So I dont bother that much to make sense of arpg's storylines anymore, no matter how interesting they might be.
"
jsn006 wrote:
"
jamnik_pucek wrote:
She wants you to get there before Piety finds an alternative, she does not imply that it is the only way to get there nor that Piety wont find a different way to force her way through. Helena does not want to simply prevent Piety from getting into the ruins, she wants to make sure that nothing that is in there can be used.

I dont know, this sounds pretty straigthforward ... ''the only thing standing in between Piety and whatever awaits behind that ancient gateway to the northwest'' ... seems like it is indeed the only way, and the storyline hence has a glitch. But this has always been an issue with arpgs lol, look at how much stuff they retconned from D1 and D2, and look how D3's story is totally butchered and makes zero sense. So I dont bother that much to make sense of arpg's storylines anymore, no matter how interesting they might be.

Didn't touch D3 with a ten foot pole, but read the "storyline" presented there and it indeed made very little sense.

Its not like aRPGs are famous for their storylines, but ultimately I do agree that Helena or someone else should probably try and point out why just listening to Eramir and dumping both the spike and the gem to the deepest pool you can find is not an option. Some characters might be motivated to spite Piety and Dominus, but not all ;)
Character motivation is simple... REVENGE. Kill Piety (and her boss) because they Exiled you. You just happen to need suggestions from townsfolk to figure out how to get to her, helping them is just coincidence. If they want to reward you because some rhoa nests needed raiding, or if you feel the need to go out of your way to get a medicine chest because they asked you, that's fine and dandy. The real mission is to kill that bitch and go home.
I can see your / Back is turned and / If I could I'd / Stick my knife in.
Crawl Away, TOOL

Don't get hacked. Make a new email for your account and use a long password.
"
BRavich wrote:

Similarly, unleashing the darkness is a total mystery. There is a sphere in the way so you knock it over and unleash something. What? Why? Who put that there? How is this the only path to Sarn?

I've always found this funny, the reactions of the characters make the player feel like an asshole for going out of their way to kill an ancient tree, then remove the sun itself, quite often leave a bandit alive for the encampment to be eventually killed by, then wander up into the pyramid, kill the oversoul and peace out.

Though like others have said helena is the one giving you your mission and she wanted you to find anything piety could put to use, such as the oversoul. On the other hand, it's not like piety is even around to show that she's after the control of the oversoul. She's already busy capturing tolman for uh, whatever her reason for capturing him was.

Maybe they should make the rogue exiles canon and have them drop letters from piety that had their freedom as a bounty on your head. Just so you can be reminded that piety is trying to stop you and your little party from clearing out the vaal ruins before she can get in.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
BRavich wrote:
I gave up on trying to make sense out of the plot. Right from the get go your path through Wraeclast makes absolutely no sense. You run around picking through Rhoa nests so you can find glyphs that open an underwater passage that allows you to get to the Prison? Really? I mean, really? Nevermind that once you get the medicine chest, there is absolutely no plot motivation for doing anything else whatsoever, nevermind that. What in God's name is up with the glyphs opening the tidal passage and why on earth is it the only way to get to.... other places?

It's reminiscent of the story toward the end of act 1 where Piety blocks off the path inland and suddenly you're heading for Merveil with no clue as to why. Is there any REASON why her Lair connects to the forest inland? Are we supposed to be under the impression that the player heads there with this goal in mind?

As you stated regarding Act 2, it makes no sense for Helena to say that the tree stands between Piety and "whatever is on the other side" because obviously she's also been on the other side for a while, adding to her dead body collection in Lunaris Temple.

Similarly, unleashing the darkness is a total mystery. There is a sphere in the way so you knock it over and unleash something. What? Why? Who put that there? How is this the only path to Sarn?

Storytelling is a massive problem for PoE, so much to the point that it's mostly impossible to tell whether the writing itself has holes in it, or the information simply isnt being communicated to the player.

Just because Diablo 3 had an awful story doesnt mean you can claim that stories arent important in ARPGs. Story and atmosphere were both absolutely integral parts to the experience of Diablo 1 and 2. The storytelling for Diablo 2 in particular was actually very well done.

This, I was so confused during the first playthrough but kept thinking it would all make sense in the end... It didnt though and still dont.

And to me, the story matters so much in an aRPG which is why I enjoyed killed Diablo over and over again, he had it coming...in D2. NOT D3.

"
FuliginCloak wrote:
Helena's dialogue concerning Lorrata, which appears after killing the Weaver, presents a confusing situation. She opens by saying, "The tree that Yeena calls Lorrata is the only thing standing in between Piety and whatever awaits behind that ancient gateway to the northwest...".

Since nobody seems to have pointed it out yet: Helena is quite wrong. The other thing standing between Piety and the secrets of the pyramid is a round little iron door in the side of a triangle poking out of the ground in Sarn. Maybe Helena doesn't know that; maybe nobody from Oriath has figured out that the pyramid is huge and filled with Vaalian secrets so they haven't bothered to open it up and look inside... maybe they did, but the Vaal Oversoul is only activated when the player knocks aside that giant metal sphere, so there was nothing for the Blackguards to find.

Still, at the end of the day the player winds up wasting a lot of time in a musty old ruin and pissing off a lot of people for no practical benefit. At least with Merveil, the player was cleaning up a long-standing shipping hazard, reopening trade-routes between Wraeclast and the outside world.
"
But this is something a lot of players don't realise (I didn't until Chris told me directly): the Ancient Pyramid does not open into Sarn normally. That rumbling after you kill the Oversoul? That's not (as I assumed) just the effect of the Oversoul's demise, it's the pyramid rising up.

Honestly, I didn't consider that because it makes no sense.

Is it that the entire pyramid raises itself upward? Not only would that disconnect it from the Waterfall Cave, that sucker's gotta be a hundred metres or so on a side at the base, so we're talking about raising 10,000 square metres of ground... that would take a *lot* of effort, and disturb a *lot* more ground than the little bit we see in City of Sarn, so maybe it's just the Oversoul Chamber that lifts up.

Even so, *why* would the Vaal build their pyramid to raise up any portion once the Oversoul is destroyed? I'm assuming that, like most artifacts of ancient civilisations, it wasn't *built* underground, just covered up over time (although, the base of it is now in a cave...). It wouldn't have been designed to breach the ground and let people out, it would have been designed to rise from, say, 75 metres above ground to 85 or something like that.

The only thing I can think of (and I'm kind of grasping here) is that the Vaal Pyramid has some kind of self-repair mechanism; when you kill the Oversoul the pyramid decides it's too damaged to sit around and tries to deploy solar-panels to recharge or something... and gets stuck, because it's now underground.

That still doesn't explain the little round door in the Oversoul Chamber, of course...

"
Yay for retconning pre-release!

We can but hope. :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info