{3.2.0} Spectral Gods: [Life Based Spectre/Golem Hybrid Summoner | Clear Speed | End Game Bossing]

thanks herc.

that all sounds pretty legit. you're probably right and i'd rather steer more towards survivability than a few extra minions. i'll see how things pan out once i get farther along... i might not care about the odd death if leveling isn't a big deal to me later though.

hitting 90s/100 isn't meant to happen yet, with just 3 acts. i'd rather aim for 80 or something and build another character and use the 80 to farm with, so maybe i'd be OK with taking the odd death... we'll see but you both gave me lots to work with here so thanks!
Im curious why the switch to CI in a league where chayulas ammy doesn't exist, getting stunlocked seems like it could be a problem. Obviously you have a ton of meat shields, maybe this isn't a big deal but I was curious. I'll probably run an EB/HP/IR version at first, the armor seems useful.
@xSJx:
"
xSJx wrote:
Im curious why the switch to CI in a league where chayulas ammy doesn't exist, getting stunlocked seems like it could be a problem. Obviously you have a ton of meat shields, maybe this isn't a big deal but I was curious. I'll probably run an EB/HP/IR version at first, the armor seems useful.

Well, I can't speak for Matt, but I would guess it's because CI was far less nerfed than health, resulting in much higher potential ES than HP. The whole CI section and the Witch's Arcane Focus were left untouched. Or buffed, as is the case with the first ES node on the Witch tree, going from 8% to 10%. The bonus % ES from Intelligence and gear (e.g. Ephemeral Edge) is the same, too. % HP on gear has only a few cases of ~10% on otherwise weak Uniques, which is not enough to make much of a difference.

@cronik:
"
cronik wrote:
thanks herc.

Hey, no problem! Glad I could help! =o)

@NiNcsszaM:
"
NiNcsszaM wrote:
hey Hercanic.
Can you link me to that HP/EB/EE build of yours.

Sure.

Just for referrence: My current level 80 tree

Level 80 - Planned respec: 50% more life, 44% more armor, 16% less resistances. From there I plan to re-grab the 22% life cluster in the middle (3 points) and fill in the Templar's Body and Soul cluster for more armor/mana/resists (6 points).

Skills, supports, auras, and tactics
I use dual Shockwave Totems with Added Cold Damage and Increased Area of Effect to apply EE. They are much faster to cast than an Ice Nova Spell Totem (0.75 base vs ~1.21 base) while still having almost the same coverage, quality gives Shockwave 30% more life, it's a ranged ability and therefore safer than trying to run up to mobs and cast Ice Nova yourself, and has fun knockback utility. The double-knockback clears paths through doorways, protects you and your Sentinels from melee mobs, and can prevent mobs who retreat often from doing so by placing one behind them. If I group with a majority of cold users, I have the option of swapping in an Added Lightning damage for EE instead. I could also use the Hatred aura to add cold damage to Shockwave Totem, but right now I don't have the mana to support another aura.

Note: Try to avoid putting two totems next to a rare, boss, or any target you value killing who is against a corner or impassable object, or you risk pushing them through it. The risk is small, but when this happens they will stop attacking and cannot be attacked either. This has only happened to me once, and was avoidable if I had realized the risk. If you're ever worried, just place another totem behind them at the wall to push them away from it.

My curses are Flammability, Elemental Weakness, and Temporal Chains, cast in that order. I used to do Temp Chains first to keep a pack together longer so my other curses were more likely to hit, but with Flame Sentinels they already have fireballs en route, so by changing to Flammability first that initial fireball volley hits much harder. I have Faster Casting linked to Flammability and Elemental Weakness so I can chain them easier.

My auras are:
1. Purity = +max resist
2. Determination = armor multiplier
3. Grace = huge base armor
4. Discipline = +max mana
5. Clarity = MP regen, which supports rapid totem placement and chain-cursing. I really want to be able to run a high-level Arctic Armor, but I need better gear for regen.

My seven Zombies are in a +1 helm right now, linked to Added Fire Damage, Chance to Ignite, and Elemental Proliferation. This combo gives my Zombies an AOE attack, helping make up for their slow attack speed. I have less Minion Health nodes, which actually proves to be an advantage. When I had all Minion HP nodes, my Zombies barely ever died, squandering Minion Instability. With less health, they explode much more often, and my gem setup really takes advantage of this. The MI radius isn't terribly large, but Chance to Ignite and Elemental Proliferation act to increase its reach. Not only that, but it lingers for several seconds (longer with Temporal Chains) even if the monster dies. This means new monsters entering the area will immediately inherit MI-level burning damage. I like to think of it as 'radiation' from my 'nuke'. Scorched Earth policy, yo!

Burning damage is especially powerful when you drop a monster's resists by -150% from EE, Flammability, and Elemental Weakness. Normally, burn damage is screwed over by monster resist because it checks them twice -- once for the initial hit that establishes the base burn damage, then again while burning, reducing it twice. With negative resists, though, it is multiplied twice! (And doubled by Temp Chains) MI damage is already huge, and it's all fire damage. When my zombies blow, even the strongest rares melt. With a good contain, solo Piety goes down within seconds.

I exclusively use Flame Sentinels as my Spectres, who are linked to Remote Mine, Minion Damage, and Life Leech. I have Bones of Ullr to give me a bonus Spectre for 3 total. My goal here is to give my best DPS the hardest hits possible, while also keeping them alive as long as possible.

I dislike LMP/GMP on Flame Sentinels, which has been a common suggestion in many summoner builds. I feel like it's a waste. More often than not, many of those fireballs don't hit anything, and you're eating a huge LESS damage penalty for the privilege. They already shoot bonus projectiles, quickly too, and you have three of them to multiply the amount of projectiles. It's like stacking crit chance and ignoring crit damage, or % health and ignoring flat health. It's just not optimal.

I have considered Concentrated Effect over Minion Damage, but the tradeoff is less damage on non-exploding Fork hits and reduced Fireball AOE. I do plan to test this, though, and it may prove to be worth the cost.

If I had a 6L for them, I'd go Chance to Ignite and Elemental Proliferation, like my Zombies. Their fireballs are pure fire damage, and they hit really hard, so everything would be burning for quite a bit of damage.

I use Lightning Warp for its teleport utility and to break clusters of barrels. I also have a quality level 1 Arctic Armor I use for its movement speed buff and free chill effect (with Temp Chains, monsters I pass are slowed by a devastating 64%).

Finally, I squeeze in Skeletons on a Spell Totem and Faster Casting by trading out my Spectre gems (two blue, one red) once they've been raised. With dual totems, I can have one of each totem type on the field, or go double-skeletons to get all of them on the field much faster. Dual skeleton totems also surround bosses wickedly fast and keep them locked down. During normal runs, I'll use a skeleton totem to block my flank when surrounded, but otherwise I can get by without them. It's more of a useful emergency button than a mainstay ability, for when you need more meat to distract.

For Flasks, I have two Seething HP pots with Freeze and Shock removal, a high-regen HP pot that heals minions, a Granite with +% armor buff, and a Quicksilver with +% movement speed.

The only uniques I currently use are Doedre's Damning for a third curse and Bones of Ullr for a third Spectre (both cheap). Everything else is geared for health and resistances. On my wand the only things I care about are resists and mana, though cast speed would be nice to get totems and curses out faster.

My general play style is fairly aggressive for a summoner. With 7.6k armor (much more if I follow my planned respec) coming from Grace, Determination, and one 1,600 evasion shield, I don't have to hang back. When running an area, I can throw out a Shockwave Totem ahead to bait monsters, curse everything that rushes it, and then run to the totem and cast another ahead, cursing those who rush that and running toward it. Before I even get to the second totem my minions have killed the first group and are starting on the second. I repeat, leapfrogging totems and killing with an awesome feeling of momentum. Other times I can double-up my Shockwaves in the middle of a large pack to knock them around and clear a space for me. In tight corridors the totem is an even better scout, and minions will auto-attack anything the totem is attacking, improving minion response time and motivating them to go through doorways. Because of my tankiness, I can also personally bull-rush through a doorway to get all my minions into the chamber, with Shockwave totem giving me some breathing room. In wider arenas, I can put a totem on either side of my group to protect against flanking and deal with two groups simultaneously.

It's a fun, active build, because you are constantly re-positioning your totems and diving into the action. Clear speed is respectably high, gear requirements are low, and it's very safe. I can still die if I'm foolish, but every tough situation I've come across had a solution within this build.
Last edited by Hercanic on Jun 12, 2013, 3:42:10 AM
This looks great Hercanic.

Im level 44 at the moment and I think I will respec to the build you posted.
Although I still need manymany pieces for the complete build I hope I will get them soon.
Missing most of the auras (only have clarity so far), temporal chains, ice nova, chance to ignite and probably a couple of more since I am at my very first character.

For the passives do you have a progression preference? The route seems pretty straightforward but I was wondering if its worth picking up Clear Mind, EB in the beginning also since I have only one curse now it wouldnt make sense to get whispers of doom either. and at the intersection which route is best to take.
I would imagine the priority is to get the most of the summon nodes.
Last edited by NiNcsszaM on Jun 12, 2013, 11:06:32 AM
Hi, great build, but can u add lvling guide? I Don't know what passives her first.
IGN Rampage: BorrsuczePento
@IcesPL:
I'm going to assume you're asking Matt since you didn't specify.

@mattc3303:
Hope you don't mind, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with a different build. I should probably start a thread since there seems to be an interest in it.

@NiNcsszaM:
"
NiNcsszaM wrote:
This looks great Hercanic.

Thanks!

"
NiNcsszaM wrote:
Although I still need manymany pieces for the complete build I hope I will get them soon.

Third curse and third spectre are not essential for this build to work, so don't sweat it there. They just add power.

"
NiNcsszaM wrote:
Missing most of the auras (only have clarity so far), temporal chains, ice nova, chance to ignite and probably a couple of more since I am at my very first character.

One mistake I made while leveling was I didn't realize I could skip accepting rewards. Even in Merciless you can still go back to Normal and collect the Medicine Chest reward if you want. If there is nothing you need, don't take a reward. GGG might add a new skill to that quest, and it'll be a quick way for you to grab it.

My second mistake was not knowing some skill gems are offered in many quest rewards, while others are only offered from that quest. I had to level up a Templar to get myself Remote Mine because I had long ago taken some random trash skill from the only quest that awards it to the Witch. (I could have bought it in trade chat for an ~alch, but at the time I was all self-found and had trade chat hidden.) Use the wiki to chart when you'll get each skill.

Temporal Chains, Elemental Weakness, and Elemental Proliferation are Drop-Only gems, meaning they are not a reward from any quest and can only be acquired through drops or bought from other players. This makes them more expensive than common gems. I didn't buy any of these, so you should find them while questing (hopefully).

Ice Nova is not part of the build, I only mentioned the skill as an AOE comparison.

"
NiNcsszaM wrote:
For the passives do you have a progression preference? The route seems pretty straightforward but I was wondering if its worth picking up Clear Mind, EB in the beginning. and at the intersection which route is best to take.

I would imagine the priority is to get the most of the summon nodes.

I didn't level with this build, so I can't guarantee anything. I used my ~17 free respec points and several Orbs of Regret I found to shift my points around when I was level ~70.

Use mana pots. Only get EB when you need the mana for auras. Since you don't have most of the auras, you'd be sacrificing a lot of survivability for little gain.

At the intersection, if you notice on my current tree I do not have the Templar area filled in, meaning I haven't used it yet. You'll want Iron Reflexes before Grace and Determination will give any solid benefit. Even at low level IR adds awesome physical survivability. Just don't skimp on resists.

I'd put priority as so:

1. Minion Instability - Huge damage boon.
2. Grab HP and Minion nodes as you come to them - Both are responsible for your survival.
3. Whispers of Doom - Curses offer a lot of flexibility. If you are having trouble, switch to defensive curses like Enfeeble and Temporal Chains. Otherwise, go offensive to improve clear time.
4. Iron Reflexes - Gear flexibility and great armor rating. You will be able to take many more hits.
5. Acquire auras - Much more survivability. Feeds into IR.
6. Eldritch Battery - No more mana problems. Now you can run all those auras.
7. Inner Force - Better auras, better Granite flasks, better Quicksilver flasks, etc.
8. Elemental Equilibrium - More damage. Cannot be blocked like curses. Use elemental spectres if you can't get Flame Sentinels. BTW, Chaos damage isn't an element.
9. Ancestral Bond - More flexibility with Shockwave and Skeleton totems.
10. Templar area - Armor, mana, health, resists, and health regen. This will round out your survivability and give even more mana. Consider dipping into here earlier if you can't support all the auras with your current gear and Reduced Mana gems.
I forgot to mention that u want to grab those 30int nodes over the 6% es node

30 int = 6% es and extra mana as well
Necronomicon: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098
Build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/409940
Summoner Dischord: https://discord.gg/XwWdSUa
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/zhoukon
"
mattc3303 wrote:
I forgot to mention that u want to grab those 30int nodes over the 6% es node

30 int = 6% es and extra mana as well

now that's nifty! didn't realize that thanks!

and herc, what are you using on shockwave totem? i'm assuming that's where your EE stacking is coming from? i'm using arc atm with added cold dmg for twice the -FR, but i'm also noticing that i'm not arcing as much as i should since it's hard to manage all the duties... shockwave/spell totem (maybe ice spear?) might be a better option after all.

edit: didn't see your huge spoiler text... never mind!
Last edited by cronik on Jun 12, 2013, 1:11:22 PM
added cold is a great idea, you'll def gimp the crap out of your party thou. For solo its excellent.

To solve the mana regen problem u can attach a spell totem to arc, it should still shock.

To summon skeles u can alternate the totem placement.
Necronomicon: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617098
Build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/409940
Summoner Dischord: https://discord.gg/XwWdSUa
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/zhoukon

"
"
I'd put priority as so:

1. Minion Instability - Huge damage boon.
2. Grab HP and Minion nodes as you come to them - Both are responsible for your survival.
3. Whispers of Doom - Curses offer a lot of flexibility. If you are having trouble, switch to defensive curses like Enfeeble and Temporal Chains. Otherwise, go offensive to improve clear time.
4. Iron Reflexes - Gear flexibility and great armor rating. You will be able to take many more hits.
5. Acquire auras - Much more survivability. Feeds into IR.
6. Eldritch Battery - No more mana problems. Now you can run all those auras.
7. Inner Force - Better auras, better Granite flasks, better Quicksilver flasks, etc.
8. Elemental Equilibrium - More damage. Cannot be blocked like curses. Use elemental spectres if you can't get Flame Sentinels. BTW, Chaos damage isn't an element.
9. Ancestral Bond - More flexibility with Shockwave and Skeleton totems.
10. Templar area - Armor, mana, health, resists, and health regen. This will round out your survivability and give even more mana. Consider dipping into here earlier if you can't support all the auras with your current gear and Reduced Mana gems.
"

Based on this I made a tree of my 1 time only respec>
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAP0HYwj0FLAXUBmFGmwkqij6Nuk6MDvhSOdMLU25VcZXK1qRaqxr220Zc1N5A30Ygh6Cx4VgiECLeo9GkDOboZ2upqynCKcrqH2qxKyYuJPAVMHzzLzPZdDQ0_vi9-Nq6-7sivfX

the main things were the minions and HP and the MI. hopefully this should be ok for now. My only concern is the lack of STR and DEX. I might need to compensate for those with items or temporarily grabbing some +30 nodes.

btw I might need to go back as well to get some quest reward gems. Damn.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info