How to build a physical wander

Bonk
1. You actually do a good amount of elemental damage with these stat points so going WED and getting some elemental damage nodes in the tree close to templar is a good idea. Even with an insane physical wand your elemental damage actually surpasses your physical damage. IMO an ideal gem set up is; P Siphon, WED, GMP, Pierce, Increased crit damage and for your 6th link you can go faster attacks or life leech or added fire. Up to you

2. Going Iron reflexes is a very good idea, you can easily reach 20-30k armour, using es/evasion gear which post patch is insane (you will still have around 7-8k+ ES with discipline so its not a huge deal). Although it eats up a lot of points so your character will need to be slightly weaker in terms of ES and damage (not a big issue) until lvl 90+

3. If you dont want iron reflexes then vaal pact is a must because this build can easily reach 10-15k+ aoe dps which will get you destroyed in a reflect map.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAVysHY-aBEVC71jvh4vdtGacrLR_B80yzoqNKjAQHUDB_xg_EV4cfAsUo217BxRGW3MeArjbF9lvr5Cy_naMOSDt8-u_bAtgkWbxfKnzOhq78q-OEpzRapqIE0xunCDGJdFUV14hrY0PAUbjKeM6PRriTYbEA_deGGde29_Lh8-o_cx0UgUkMfevuFLBWY5maES_C7HBS-tKyOBB_KPrQ--tjRwZmnmZPxp6CxylUh55fanFNFkBBh_xkSpqaz4V9erhDYylPrpO3Mew4KjhY9VfiOtidxHflTdiMdg==

4. Chain weakens your damage by more than you think because of how armour works, (big hits destroy armour, smaller hits get resisted more by armour) and also causes mana problems. Pierce is a better option and will be 100% with proj weakness

5. Clarity costs too much mana to be used. Instead you can run Discipline, hatred, determination, grace, wrath and anger. whereas with clarity you would have to give up an aura or two depending on mana pool. You have to remember that with insane gear your mana pool is only gonna be around 1400-1600 and this is with using rainbow striders and dream fragments.

6. Static blows is not needed, the damage you do is already insane and ideally you wana get those unique murder mitts
Last edited by crushertoxin on Jun 7, 2013, 2:49:11 AM
Thanks!

Iron Reflexes does seem very interesting, and possibly necessary given the current patch. Not quite sure about WED though, do you have any math to suggest that going that route yields more damage than being more pure on the damage?

I know that Chain ceases to become an issue when the individual projectiles reach around 1k damage. Doesn't seem hard to do.
The gem selection is based on a softcore wander called Drasch21, he has a guide up on shadow forums.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/378416

EDIT: Error in math im bad.
Last edited by crushertoxin on Jun 7, 2013, 7:27:50 AM
Ah yes, this one:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/378416/page/1

It's got a lot of cool ideas but it seems like it's trying to do a lot of stuff at once. Maybe it's just me?

Particularly the thing about having both Physical and Elemental damage. I feel like if I follow that build the character will be significantly more squishy and unfocused in terms of damage. Besides maxing physical damage seems to be better than going too hybrid.
"
Ah yes, this one:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/378416/page/1

It's got a lot of cool ideas but it seems like it's trying to do a lot of stuff at once. Maybe it's just me?

Particularly the thing about having both Physical and Elemental damage. I feel like if I follow that build the character will be significantly more squishy and unfocused in terms of damage. Besides maxing physical damage seems to be better than going too hybrid.

Check out my editted post above. Gearing for damage will naturally include a lot of ele damage regardless, so you arent disadvantaged all you really need is a good physical wand. Try to get phys rolls on your rings / ammy ideally, but if you cant then getting increased elemental damage % or flat is just as good because of insane damage.

Anyways the issue with this build wont be damage or even survivability, it will just be mana so keep that in mind when altering your passive tree and when gearing
Last edited by crushertoxin on Jun 7, 2013, 4:55:52 AM
"
crushertoxin wrote:
But lets say that you have a 400 dps phsyical wand, a level 20 20%qual added fire will give you 54% added fire damage and 10% from the tree = 64%. And a total of increased 176% physical damage. Wrath is 9-147 and anger is 49-81, averaged out they are 78 and 65 damage respectively and hatred which is 25% converted to cold.
and 24% increased elemental damage from tree

so you get a total of (400 x 2.76 x 2.03 x1.67 x 1.36 )+ 96.7 + 80.6 = 5267 dps.

If you use WED and the elemental spec you get 30% increased lightning and 24% increased elemental damage and 32% increased elemental damage for weps. 20% lvl 20 WED = 90%

(400 x 2.76) + (276 x 3.42 x 3.42 x 4.45) + 315 + 202 = 15986 dps

Thanks for the long explanation. Much appreciated. If you are correct there is indeed a huge jump in damage, but I really want to make sure that the calculations matches with the system.

I can see where some of the numbers come from but most I cannot. Would you mind clarifying the modifiers?
"
"
crushertoxin wrote:
But lets say that you have a 400 dps phsyical wand, a level 20 20%qual added fire will give you 54% added fire damage and 10% from the tree = 64%. And a total of increased 176% physical damage. Wrath is 9-147 and anger is 49-81, averaged out they are 78 and 65 damage respectively and hatred which is 25% converted to cold.
and 24% increased elemental damage from tree and 30% increased lightning

so you get a total of (400 x 2.76 x 2.03 x1.67 x 1.36 )+ 96.7 + 80.6 = 5267 dps.

If you use WED and the elemental spec you get 30% increased lightning and 24% increased elemental damage and 32% increased elemental damage for weps. 20% lvl 20 WED = 90%

(400 x 2.76) + (276 x 3.42 x 3.42 x 4.45) + 315 + 202 = 15986 dps

Thanks for the long explanation. Much appreciated. If you are correct there is indeed a huge jump in damage, but I really want to make sure that the calculations matches with the system.

I can see where some of the numbers come from but most I cannot. Would you mind clarifying the modifiers?

EDIT: More math errors, check out latest post should be a lot better.
Last edited by crushertoxin on Jun 7, 2013, 7:28:25 AM
wed > added fire
chain > all
"
crushertoxin wrote:

EDIT: My physical calc was slightly off it should be
(400 x 2.76) + ((276 + 596) x 1.36 x 1.36 x 1.77) + 96.7 + 80.6 = 4136

276 is the elemental cold damage from hatred. 596 is the elemental fire damage from added fire.

1.36 comes from the 10% added fire/cold from the tree multiplied by the 24% elemental damage. 1.77 comes from the 10% lightning multiplied by the 24 elemental damage and by the 30% increased lightning damage from static blows

Thanks mate. Sorry for lack of clarification, but I was wondering more about the second calculation that yielded close to 16k dps, cause I see that the small amount of elemental damage is somehow multiplied by a factor of 7-8 and I'm curious as to how that number was found.
Last edited by elitedesolator on Jun 7, 2013, 6:48:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info