Questions on Auras

Currently, they're a bit abuseable (assuming a player has enough Mana, that is).

A player can remove an aura from his spell-slots or even gem-slots, and it will remain active. A player can also stack a ton of auras onto the second weapon/shield set, then simply swap back. This automatically replaces all the spell-slots with the new spells (whatever's plugged into the first weapon/shield set) while keeping all of the auras active.

In addition, transferring to a new zone causes auras to deactivate, yet the reserved mana is not returned. This is pretty annoying for people who stack auras, especially if they're not using Blood Magic.

Now, I'm sure GGG is aware of these issues - my point in the thread is to see where they stand on said issues. Are any of the things I described above actually working as intended, or will they be patched up eventually - if so, how? I want to know because I would rather play the game without "exploits." I don't want to play characters that are more powerful than the should be simply because of an exploit that will eventually be removed. ;)
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
"
Currently, they're a bit abuseable (assuming a player has enough Mana, that is).

A player can remove an aura from his spell-slots or even gem-slots, and it will remain active. A player can also stack a ton of auras onto the second weapon/shield set, then simply swap back. This automatically replaces all the spell-slots with the new spells (whatever's plugged into the first weapon/shield set) while keeping all of the auras active.

In addition, transferring to a new zone causes auras to deactivate, yet the reserved mana is not returned. This is pretty annoying for people who stack auras, especially if they're not using Blood Magic.

Now, I'm sure GGG is aware of these issues - my point in the thread is to see where they stand on said issues. Are any of the things I described above actually working as intended, or will they be patched up eventually - if so, how? I want to know because I would rather play the game without "exploits." I don't want to play characters that are more powerful than the should be simply because of an exploit that will eventually be removed. ;)

In everything, there is a trade-off of some nature. I bolded trade-off here. I don't believe this is abusing or exploiting anything. If someone does possess the mana necessary for executing this maneuver, then I suppose they are entitled to the rewards and benefits it provides.
Side caption: This does seem OP though LOL.
I called it abuseable because it seems like the intent is to have up to 8 skills (7 if using default attack) without counting weapon swapping (as that opens up a whole new mess of options).

Auras are effectively large passive increases that take up a skill slot - if you are getting the passive increases without using a up a skill slot, isn't that kind of abusive? There's no opportunity cost involved there. On the other hand, if it's intended to be this way, I will be taking full advantage of it - auras and curses are extremely potent, in my experience. Can't even tell you how many characters I'm using my unique Paua Rings on (+1 max curse).

Speaking of the unique Paua Rings (and reinforced greaves), they allow a character to have up to 5 curses (with the Whispers of Doom passive) - put a single-target DPS skill over default attack, an AoE skill, and one optional (Aura, Totem, other), and you've got yourself a pretty strong character before accounting for your supports/passive skills. I'm surprised the effects of all those items stack - you don't lose much for using them (2 rings + your boots slot).
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Jul 28, 2012, 10:03:51 AM
"
I called it abuseable because it seems like the intent is to have up to 8 skills (7 if using default attack) without counting weapon swapping (as that opens up a whole new mess of options).

Auras are effectively large passive increases that take up a skill slot - if you are getting the passive increases without using a up a skill slot, isn't that kind of abusive? There's no opportunity cost involved there. On the other hand, if it's intended to be this way, I will be taking full advantage of it - auras and curses are extremely potent, in my experience. Can't even tell you how many characters I'm using my unique Paua Rings on (+1 max curse).

Speaking of the unique Paua Rings (and reinforced greaves), they allow a character to have up to 5 curses (with the Whispers of Doom passive) - put a single-target DPS skill over default attack, an AoE skill, and one optional (Aura, Totem, other), and you've got yourself a pretty strong character before accounting for your supports/passive skills. I'm surprised the effects of all those items stack - you don't lose much for using them (2 rings + your boots slot).

*The opportunity cost is the mana you keep on reserve for the Aura that could be used on another skill.*

To be honest, it is impossible to say (without their input) on whether or not this was their intentions. Like I said, however, I do agree that this technique is absolutely overpowered.
Yup, precisely why I created this thread. :)

"

I do believe there is a specific section relevant to this sort of inquiry in the Beta forum.
"
AES9691 wrote:
"

I do believe there is a specific section relevant to this sort of inquiry in the Beta forum.
If you mean Beta GD, I have never been quite sure what the difference was.

Setting an aura and then removing the gem may seem like an exploit, but it depends on how you look at it. You don't need any skill gem after you cast the skill. Take Firestorm for example. You can cast it and immediately remove the gem, but the fireballs will still fall. Same goes for any other skill with any sort of duration.

You've already paid the cost of casting the aura to gain its benefits. That's why the aura's reserved mana shouldn't be immediately refunded when the aura is turned off: it's a casting cost as well as a reserved upkeep cost. This is why you can't cast an aura if you have 0 mana, even if your max allows for the reservation. You have to pay the up-front casting cost just like every other skill. What you do with your gems after you cast a skill doesn't matter.

I used to agree that gem-swapping auras was an exploit until I considered the mana cost and that you've already paid to use the skill, so it shouldn't expire.

Auras carrying over into other areas has been suggested a lot and I believe the devs plan to fix it. It may come when they get minions to carry over in 0.9.12, assuming the two issues are related.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jul 28, 2012, 11:21:12 AM
In any case, I'd still prefer to have it confirmed. If that's the way it is designed to work, I'll be sure to incorporate that into my future builds. ;)

Bump :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info