Are Maps coop-unfriendly?

There are 1300+ accounts online, highest I have seen so far.

Yet, one week ago there were usually 5-6 parties going, a couple Fellshrine, a couple Chaos, and usually 1-2 quest based.

The last few days I've seen only 2-3 parties up.

Do Maps act as a kind of funnel that limits coop play?

What do you think?

Is the fact that I have to spend currency to improve a map making it less likely for me to share it with random players?
"
DeF46 wrote:
There are 1300+ accounts online, highest I have seen so far.

Yet, one week ago there were usually 5-6 parties going, a couple Fellshrine, a couple Chaos, and usually 1-2 quest based.

The last few days I've seen only 2-3 parties up.

Do Maps act as a kind of funnel that limits coop play?

What do you think?

Is the fact that I have to spend currency to improve a map making it less likely for me to share it with random players?

From my experience so far (I've only been up to map lvl 63. My character is lvl 73, but I am unlucky), it seems you only really want to spend decent currency (alchs/chaos) on higher lvl maps. I've been using transmutation and alterations to get very good map properties with very little difficulty that leave me with a reliable map supply.

The main reason I am not sharing -my- maps with public parties is because majority of the maps dropping inside maps are white. This allows first person to see it to grab it.
IGN: EmptyPalms
I was thinking about this earlier today and came to the opposite conclusion. It makes sense to group with as many people as possible because that would increase the items dropped per map used.

You would get the same # of items as an individual but they would be more useful for you since the folks in your group would be leaving you appropriate gear while taking everything you don't need.
Last edited by Blacknsilver on Jul 27, 2012, 5:18:56 PM
Meanwhile, this feels like Legacy. People talk in chat about their map runs, everyone soloing or perhaps playing with good friends? There are just 3 parties going: two fellshrine and one "pyramid runs".

I hated Legacy because of that, it was similar: people chatting about their chaos runs and drops, and no parties going on. At least in Default there were Chaos parties.

Hopefully this is a fad and it will pass and people will start sharing maps.

However there is another aspect: the mods on maps. They are a challenge: "Can I do this map solo?"
I have only partied a couple times and that was just with friends. Otherwise I always solo, I will probably never pub-party.

I find it difficult to party because the person/people don't generally play the way I do, slow and steady. Cover the whole map, empty it out and smash everything open. And I hate having to make people wait on me, etc.

When I do party it will likely just be with gamer friends and my guild.
Finest Hardcore Gaming Guild ~Soldiers of the Wasteland~ sotwguild.com
I actually feel like sharing maps. Doing it alone would feel a bit like a waste. But the truth is I haven't run with public party yet. Just few times I shouted for help (twice I think) and went with some 'random' people.

When I do party it will likely just be with gamer friends|
✠ ✠
"
Blacknsilver wrote:
I was thinking about this earlier today and came to the opposite conclusion. It makes sense to group with as many people as possible because that would increase the items dropped per map used.

You would get the same # of items as an individual but they would be more useful for you since the folks in your group would be leaving you appropriate gear while taking everything you don't need.

If only this were true. If it's yellow, they'll take it. If it has good slots, they'll take it. If it's a currency item, they'll take it. People are greedy.

I imagine people don't group for maps because they don't want random players to die stupidly and use up all the portals.
change title to "Loot is co op unfriendly" :)
You also need to remember that maps have very few portals to work with. So you cannot get as much loot out of a map thanks to everyone using a portal, especially since everyone increases the amount of loot drops.

I would like to see that portals be made so that they only close once the map has been empty of players for 20 minutes, or a new map has been activated. This way it would be more party friendly.
This topic isn't about the timed loot, or whether you like groups or not.

It's about how the new endgame affects public groups, compared to the old one (Maëlstrom of Chaos).
Last edited by DeF46 on Jul 27, 2012, 10:28:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info