Eternal orb is not for crafting?

"
DLKY wrote:
Guess an item like this is a good candidate to use an eternal orb on. No point using it to jump from a 5L to a 6L since it doesn't take that many fusings to 5L.

it wont be a perfect item, but it would be a good base to start off from.

I'm guessing the eternal orb will be as rare as a divine or exalted and would very rarely be used.

Gl, i hope you will find large amount of eternal orbs
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
"
tinghshi wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
BoondockSaint wrote:
TL;DR - eternal orb is not for crafting for 99% of the people, only use is to secure your 5L item when you go for 6L, and to improve godly items, otherwise it is just another currency orb for 99% of people playing
It is not for Fusings. At all.

It's actually very useful for fusing non-unique items with perfects mods. You can't simply find another copy, since it probably doesn't exist, and if it does, would most definitely cost more than an eternal orb.
Well, in cases where it's impossible to find a duplicate, sort of. You could, of course, just find something slightly inferior, use the inferior until you get the sockets right, then resell the inferior.

But the "costing more than an eternal orb" point is utterly wrong. You're just not getting it. Buying and reselling an item -- no matter how expensive -- is a borrow, not a cost. There is an investment involved, but long-term it's nothing. I guess inflation/deflation are factors, but it would have to be pretty severe and/or you hold onto the copy for a long time before depreciation gets to Eternal Orb levels.

If Eternal Orb is intended by GGG to be a solution for socket-forging frustrations, it will fail miserably. End of story.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 1, 2013, 7:20:24 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
tinghshi wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
It is not for Fusings. At all.

It's actually very useful for fusing non-unique items with perfects mods. You can't simply find another copy, since it probably doesn't exist, and if it does, would most definitely cost more than an eternal orb.
Well, in cases where it's impossible to find a duplicate, sort of. You could, of course, just find something slightly inferior, use the inferior until you get the sockets right, then resell the inferior.

But the "costing more than an eternal orb" point is utterly wrong. You're just not getting it. Buying and reselling an item -- no matter how expensive -- is a borrow, not a cost. There is an investment involved, but long-term it's nothing. I guess inflation/deflation are factors, but it would have to be pretty severe and/or you hold onto the copy for a long time before depreciation gets to Eternal Orb levels.

If Eternal Orb is intended by GGG to be a solution for socket-forging frustrations, it will fail miserably. End of story.

There are people who have taken their 5L and spent everything they possess to trade for fusings and then have not gotten a 6L. When they fail and end up without their 5L, they quit the game.

This is to help that.
i too fas fo youuuuuuu
"
Duskbane wrote:
There are people who have taken their 5L and spent everything they possess to trade for fusings and then have not gotten a 6L. When they fail and end up without their 5L, they quit the game.

This is to help that.

The situation right now is that there is a long-term-cheap way to prevent against making your gear unusable in a 6L attempt, but some people don't use it because they are stupid and thus post sob stories on the forums, which garner QQ-sympathy replies rather than pointing out OP's failure to properly protect himself against failure.

And you say that adding an alternative, actually-more-expensive way to protect oneself is going to fix this problem.

Unfortunately, you're right. It will. Having two forms of protection will mean some of the people too stupid to use the first will still use the second, and some of the people who would sympathize with the QQ will instead point out the second form of protection.

However, solving the problem by playing to stupidity, by having lack of skill win the day... speaking personally here, it's disillusioning.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 1, 2013, 8:02:18 PM
You are all assuming this eternal orb is something close to Exalted orb in rarity. But what if its somewhere around a GCP?
"
fsk1989 wrote:
You are all assuming this eternal orb is something close to Exalted orb in rarity. But what if its somewhere around a GCP?

That would be very unlikely. An eternal orb is essentially a way to remove a failed exalting. With enough eternal obs and exalts you could create perfect 6 mod items rather fast assuming 1 eternal = 1 exalt.

2 exalts for a chance to perpetually roll one additional mod on a perfect 3 or 4 mod rare? I can not see GGG being that painfully naive.

IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
It will be a trading item for most of us...]

Could also use it to rollback failed divines.. although it seems rather silly and expensive ;p
"
VRShiva wrote:
Could also use it to rollback failed divines.. although it seems rather silly and expensive ;p
This will only happen if Eternal is common enough to make it worth less than a Divine.
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
fsk1989 wrote:

That would be very unlikely. An eternal orb is essentially a way to remove a failed exalting. With enough eternal obs and exalts you could create perfect 6 mod items rather fast assuming 1 eternal = 1 exalt.

2 exalts for a chance to perpetually roll one additional mod on a perfect 3 or 4 mod rare? I can not see GGG being that painfully naive.

But "2 exalts" for ONE chance a reroll isn't exactly "perpetual". That's extremely expensive in the long run, or in "someone with bad luck"-'s case. What does the cost of 5 alt + regal rotation cost on average? 100-300 alts + 1 regal? That isn't even that close to 1 exalt in value for Default, maybe breaking even in HC? (not sure, i'm a softcore bum)

This orb should be equal in scarcity to a GCP or midway from GCP to Divine. (Btw Divine's don't drop for me at all, haven't seen one since first week of OB.
Last edited by lilbuddha on Jun 2, 2013, 5:23:50 PM
"
lilbuddha wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
fsk1989 wrote:

But "2 exalts" for ONE chance a reroll isn't exactly "perpetual". That's extremely expensive in the long run, or in "someone with bad luck"-'s case. What does the cost of 5 alt + regal rotation cost on average? 100-300 alts + 1 regal? That isn't even that close to 1 exalt in value for Default, maybe breaking even in HC? (not sure, i'm a softcore bum)

This orb should be equal in scarcity to a GCP or midway from GCP to Divine. (Btw Divine's don't drop for me at all, haven't seen one since first week of OB.

From experience I have seen more exalts drop than divines and 2 exalts is a tiny price to pay for essentially infinite chances to roll a perfect 6 mod item from a perfect 3 or 4 mod item. The best items in the game were created with dozens of exalts not counting the failed exalts/base items along the way. Keep in mind there are players with well over 100 exalts of currency along with their existing gear set.

Also, Every additional ideal mod after the 4th vastly raises the value of the item. a 4 mod item might go for 6 exalt, but a 5 mod item, 12, and a 6 mod item 20 exalts easily. Whats nice is that most items only need 3 or 4 mod to be great and eternal orbs create a way for perfect 5 and 6 mod items to be produced.

Their rarity would have to far exceed exalted orbs or were going to see ridiculous well rolled items selling for few dozen gcps.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info