Fireball and area of effect passives

"
retruber wrote:
"
Hey guys! Just want to clarify skill mechanic.

Well, i have increases to projectile damage, like +30%. So, fireball tooltip shows that increases and do all that damage to first monster it hits. But how AoE damage is calculated? From initial projectile hit with all proj damage increases? Or separately?

So, my fireball spell do 100 damage; and from all my gear and tree i have only that stat "30% increased proj damage". So, first monster that hit recieve 130 damage, it is clear. But how much damage recieves his friend nearby from AoE? 100 or 130? Without any pierce or chain or fork.

And, like previous question, i have only "+30% AoE damage". Fireball gem text says "100 fire damage". First enemy hits for 100 damage from projectile or 130 from AoE? How it is calculated? Without any pierce or chain or fork.

I'm going to take your example and split it into 3 scenarios to explain. You have 100 base fireball damage in all of them.

1. You have +30% Projectile damage
2. You have +30% Area Damage
3. You have +30% Projectile and Area damage

In case 1, since it is purely projectile damage, the damage from fireball will be affected in all possible scenarios. This means it will show up in the tooltip as 130. Both the initial monster and all those around him get hit for this damage.

In case 2, it is possible that fireball will NOT cause area damage in certain cases (ie, you have chain/pierce/fork). This means that it cannot show on the tooltip, so the tooltip will say you do 100 damage, but assuming your fireball DOES hit AoE, all monsters including the one hit initially will take 130 damage.

Case 3 is a combination of these. Your tooltip will show 130 damage because the Area damage is not included. The actual damage is 160 for both the initial target and those hit by the AoE.

I hope this cleared things up. Let me know if you're still unsure about something.

So, as i see, there is something like AoE part of the skill gain bonuses from both projectiles AND AoE nodes. And do it in additive, not multiplicative way. Am i right? Something like:

AoE explosion damage = base dmg * (proj + AoE + spell increases + fire increases etc)

AoE total damage do not counts from projectile, it counts from the base spell values, just with projectiles bonuses adding as well. Am i right?
Last edited by ErugoPurakushi on Jul 20, 2017, 4:46:45 AM
All Increased and Reduced type modifiers are additive - More and Less are multiplicative. As such, Increased Area Damage from passives (or wherever) will simply be additive with Increased Projectile/Fire/Spell/etc. Damage, but the More Area Damage from Concentrated Effect will be multiplicative with every other multiplier.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jul 19, 2017, 4:23:57 PM

So, i scratched my head half night thinking about fireball mechanic and calculations sequenses.

We have situation from the art piece: brave hero attacks monster 1 with fireball+pierce. For sure it hits a monster and deals damage, but projectile do not explode, because we use pierce. Projectile moves further and hits another monster 2. Projectile explode because for some reason it do not peirce second target. That explosion have so radius, that first monster stand in that AoE radius.

And there is interesting part. When and how much?

Assuming, we have same numbers: 100 base damage fireball, +30% AoE damage and +30% proj damage.

Real time calculations:
1) We firing fireball and 1 monster gets hit. We have explosion check, there is no explosion, so monster recieves 130 damage from projectile.
2) Projectile travels further, then hits monster 2. There we have explosion check again and we have it! Monster 2 recieves 0 damage from projectile because AoE check was success. Both monster 2 and monster 1 recieves 160 damage from AoE. Or not? Or monster 1 do not recieve that 160 damage because he already was hit by that projectile?

I do not know. Someone?
"

Or monster 1 do not recieve that 160 damage because he already was hit by that projectile?

Yes, monster 1 receives this additional 160 damage.
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!
Last edited by Filousov on Jul 20, 2017, 5:48:23 AM
"

Assuming, we have same numbers: 100 base damage fireball, +30% AoE damage and +30% proj damage.

Real time calculations:
1) We firing fireball and 1 monster gets hit. We have explosion check, there is no explosion, so monster recieves 130 damage from projectile.
2) Projectile travels further, then hits monster 2. There we have explosion check again and we have it! Monster 2 recieves 0 damage from projectile because AoE check was success. Both monster 2 and monster 1 recieves 160 damage from AoE. Or not? Or monster 1 do not recieve that 160 damage because he already was hit by that projectile?

I do not know. Someone?

Correct. Monster 1 will take both hits, while monster 2 will take only the second hit. Sounds like you got it!
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Penitent
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Feast
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Essence_Worm
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Witchfire_Brew
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vixen%27s_Entrapment

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info