Australians: your experience with the singapore server

I've tried both (US and SING) over the last 6 months, but mainly play on the SING from Adelaide and get about 160ms connection.

I'm not sure what the difference (if there is one) between rubberbanding and dsync. Certain abilities/mobs (the fast moving ones) make it dsync more often though. Especially, if I am running a lot (which I do in race events). Currently doing the 1 week race and have noticed heaps of dsyncs. :(

Also I notice some hit boxes are also often out of whack... playing as a Ranger and trying to single shoot a target can be tricky if things aren't in sync. I use Fire Traps which are often mis-dropped (especially in tight in door areas)... but you learn to play to adjust.

I often use AOE spreading and DOT type skills such as Poison Arrow and Fire Trap as my main skills... this way mobs running through the areas still get hit. I then keep moving to minimise getting hit whilst not in sync. There have been a couple of occasions when I've been standing still and my health just started dropping despite mobs being 20 yards away behind a corner... spam pots and started running only to have it re-sync and me warp back to a corner with 3 mobs hitting on me.

Brutus is the other main dsync-er too, often lay traps around a wall (and run around it) only to see him not be near the trap but set it off and start burning... this would highlight his true position despite being several yards away. It takes a few seconds to sync, but it helps inform me.

Might just be me but so far race events seem laggier.
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
Sad to say the Alpha server, which I play on a fair bit these days, is in the US so I'm back to 230ms or so. It's playable, certainly.

I'm not sure I'd go hardcore with it, though.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Has anyone used any of those services that improve your pings to various online games for PoE? Smoothping etc.

I've never used one so not sure if they need to be set up for certain games or not. Anything that could get me under 200 would be great though.
Hey All,

Trying to spread the word as much as possible - literally a few days after they opened up the Singapore servers there was a disruption in traffic routed from Australia through Asia (see: http://advisories.internode.on.net/item/10735/)

Note this does NOT affect everyone - I have seen posts from people all over Aus stating it is affecting them, and also people from all over who connect perfectly fine.

I myself was playing on the US server running approx 220ms latency - when the Singapore server first came up I was playing with 120ms (YAY) then this disruption occurred and I now get 250ms+ on Singapore.

Its horrible timing but I think A LOT of Australians are trying and getting inaccurate results on this Singapore server due to the disruption to standard routing. Sadly the ETR on this disruption keeps getting pushed back - currently set for the 7th Jan 2013.

I'm hoping we can get another (or more) threads on this same topic once this issue is resolved, as I think we will see a great deal more positive results. I'm almost hoping someone from GGG see's this or is made aware as I think its a really important message to get out there - specifically because they are asking us Australians to use this Singapore server to get better service, and In the long run I think it will work perfectly - just horrible timing of an incident out of everyone's control.

Edit: For those on Internode / iiNet / Netspace ISPs - please use this service: http://looking-glass.internode.on.net/

Setting the Query to "trace" and using the parameter: sng.login.pathofexile.com you can then select from all the locations around Australia to see if routing from those zones are affected by the service disruption. This is my example below (From Hobart):

Tracing the route to sng.login.pathofexile.com (216.12.203.90)

1 gi0-0-4-102.cor1.hba1.internode.on.net (203.33.255.1) 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
2 gi0-2-805.bdr1.mel6.internode.on.net (203.33.255.169) 100 msec 96 msec 100 msec
3 gi4-1-0.bdr1.mel4.internode.on.net (150.101.210.53) 100 msec 100 msec 100 msec
4 ae1.cr1.adl2.on.ii.net (150.101.33.41) 20 msec 20 msec 20 msec
5 203.16.212.190 96 msec 100 msec 100 msec
6 pos6-0.bdr1.adl6.internode.on.net (150.101.225.45) 96 msec 100 msec 228 msec
7 * *
pos0-1-0.cor1.per1.internode.on.net (150.101.199.238) 52 msec
8 po0-3-0.bdr1.sin1.internode.on.net (203.16.211.229) 96 msec 100 msec 96 msec
9 36351.sgw.equinix.com (202.79.197.69) 228 msec 228 msec 228 msec
10 ae5.dar02.sr03.sng01.networklayer.com (50.97.18.199) 228 msec 228 msec 232 msec
11 po1.fcr01.sr03.sng01.networklayer.com (174.133.118.131) 228 msec
po2.fcr01.sr03.sng01.networklayer.com (174.133.118.133) 228 msec
po1.fcr01.sr03.sng01.networklayer.com (174.133.118.131) 228 msec
12 sng.login.pathofexile.com (216.12.203.90) 228 msec 228 msec 232 msec

Please note jump #9 where it leaves Australia and connects to the first node in asia "36351.sgw.equinix.com" jumping from 96ms to 228ms - this is the result of disruption - if your trace from your location connects to asia with an average of <130ish then you are not affected by this issue. Best of luck =)

Last edited by Enkai on Dec 28, 2012, 7:34:04 AM
Apparently there are 2 faults effecting access to Singapore servers:

1) (older) fault to the submarine line... Sydney -> Hong Kong.
2) (most recent) fault on the submarine line... Perth -> SE Asia

This means traffic to be rerouted the long way around. End result for me (in Adelaide) has seen latency go from about 160ms to 330ms on the Singapore server. :(

US servers still give me around 230ms, it is playable in Default, but not in HC with the lag and desyncs.

I would happily pay a monthly "AUS/NZ Server" subscription fee if it meant better service.

EDIT: ohh and ETAs for fixes to the above lines:

1) Sydney -> Hong Kong... scheduled to be repaired on the 28th.
2) Perth -> Singpaore... unknown, the fault is about 1100kms out from Singapore, so expect it to be a while.
Chris Wilson: "Today was the proudest day of my life."
Last edited by Kaysee on Jan 13, 2013, 5:51:29 PM
I have crappy internet, that's a fact, so I don't base my latency entirely off the server. However, Singapore - 350ms, America - 280ms.

Unplayable? Not like I really have a choice. I don't see portals open.. I click the scroll and then the portal is there :P

I'm in Melbourne, on iPrimus standard ADSL.
I AM ERROR
Nothing to do with PoE, there have been some major lines cut between Aus and SG so ISPs are rerouting our connections. The most serious issue wont be fixed until the end of January so you are best off playing on the US servers until the lines are fixed.
i ping about the same to singapore on internode and optus cable, last time i checked, pinging the singapore login from work though on raw fibre im still getting 270, getting routed via syd then to: tok.iprimus.net.au, (120ms from syd) then to sng.
wow guys i left pvp for my high ping 100ms sometimes above which causing intense fights harder than it should be. Anyway good luck with your connection fairies i cant think myself to play like that would damage my nerves...
Not too many mmo's / rpgs have aussie servers. Truely sucks for us. Quite a big player base yet never a server cause of costs. What i would give to be able to play with >100ms.
IGN - Bootloops
Twitch - www.twitch.tv/BootloopsGG

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info