Increased radius of firestorm and lightning warp

"
Strill wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The base radius of firestorm has definitely not increased this patch. I have found what's probably the cause of these reports - a bug was fixed in firestorm where the fireballs were not falling evenly, and were biased towards falling in the inner part of it's radius (but could still fall over the entire radius). They now fall evenly over the area, as they were intended to. Carl will be looking at whether this warrants balance changes.
A bug causing them to fall in the center? I thought that was intentional. I'm certain I remember a dev specifically saying that you were changing them to fall in the center.
I believe they were changed to prevent the problem with the initial implementation where they were more likely to fall at the outside, but the intent was to counteract that, rather than make them mostly fall in the centre. I thought the evenness had been fixed ages back, but it wasn't, and got caught in this patch when working on other skills.

Carl's going to be looking into the balance of the skill, and the damage or distribution will be changed if necessary.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 23, 2012, 10:30:23 PM
Perhaps a slight radius increase on the explosion caused on impact would be a good way to balance it out.
Given what feels like an already increased area where fireballs can fall, wouldn't it be better to not increase this area with AOE passives but just increase the size of the fireballs. This would effectively mean that the area would become more saturated. IE the same number of monsters hit by more fireballs, cause each fireball is hitting more.

Even if you wanted the overall area to increase if it only increased at 25% of the increased area passives then the amount of space which gets hit by no fireballs will hopefully not get bigger (I haven't done the maths).
Firestorm before .9.11 patch:
It's full of firestorm examples, but skip to 12:00 for the best example of single-target attacking when it really mattered.
http://www.putlocker.com/file/0910C515DB5ADE13

Firestorm after .9.11 patch:
http://www.putlocker.com/file/2045BDF2D8F6D19B

Notice how it's completely unreliable and impossible to use for main attacks now?
Last edited by ionface on Jul 24, 2012, 6:44:03 AM
Well I wish I had known this before I rebuilt my wizard. I was using Firestorm as my main fire spell. Now I find it less than useful for just about anything. I would like to see some option to make it more like pre-patch or a different fire spell that is not just another ball or nova.
We're going to make some adjustments to Firestorm! Watch this space.
Balance & Design
I actually like the more even spread of Fireballs in Firestorm.
But I don't play with concentrated effect, I actually play with increased aoe.

So I probably have a different playstyle, and is not affecting me as much.
Last edited by LordAmras on Jul 25, 2012, 3:39:44 AM
"
Rory wrote:
We're going to make some adjustments to Firestorm! Watch this space.

Brilliant!

If it is possible could you give us an idea of when? Is it going to be a 9.11e or something or are we going to be waiting until 9.12 or further?

I'm not being impatient (ok, actually I am) but I just want to plan whether to shelve a char or keep leveling him until this gets changed.
Great to hear. I hope you are making it as strong as it was before. I also hope we don't have to wait that long ;)
I currently play with 40% increased area of effect radius increase and I quite like the new firestorm. It makes it less useful against single targets which I found to be appropriate and I switched to using a second skill against small single enemy targets.

Nevertheless, I will of course like any buffs to its damage or similar. ;)

I just hope you will keep it that increased area of effect still also increase the total area in which fireball falls, since filling half the screen with fire is the target of my (not that effective) build.
Last edited by Serika on Jul 25, 2012, 11:40:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info