Heat issues

If you're turning vsync on, your video card is still overheating, and it's free of dust as you say, then the thermal paste between the heatsink and the GPU is probably just about shot... either that or your case just has very poor air flow in general. What do the temps of the rest of your components look like?

The only thing that PoE could do wrong that would cause your GPU to overheat would be to push an excessive amount of FPS. If your GPU is overheating and you're not getting above like 150 FPS, then PoE isn't doing anything out of the norm to cause the issue. RP and RTS games can be very hard on GPUs because of the large amount of units on screen at once, so it's not really out of the ordinary for someone to have perfectly fine temps in every other game, but then have their GPU overheating when playing RP or RTS games.

Turning vsync on limits the number of FPS to either 30 or 60 (30 if you're getting below 60 FPS with vsync off, 60 if you're getting above 60 FPS with vsync off), so that eliminates the possibility of PoE causing the issue.

You can get some arctic silver 5 from newegg.com and re-apply it yourself if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing. Otherwise I recommend finding a buddy to do it for you.
Last edited by simonizor on Jul 18, 2012, 6:01:53 PM
"
simonizor wrote:
If you're turning vsync on, your video card is still overheating, and it's free of dust as you say, then the thermal paste between the heatsink and the GPU is probably just about shot... either that or your case just has very poor air flow in general. What do the temps of the rest of your components look like?

The only thing that PoE could do wrong that would cause your GPU to overheat would be to push an excessive amount of FPS. If your GPU is overheating and you're not getting above like 150 FPS, then PoE isn't doing anything out of the norm to cause the issue. RP and RTS games can be very hard on GPUs because of the large amount of units on screen at once, so it's not really out of the ordinary for someone to have perfectly fine temps in every other game, but then have their GPU overheating when playing RP or RTS games.

Turning vsync on limits the number of FPS to either 30 or 60 (30 if you're getting below 60 FPS with vsync off, 60 if you're getting above 60 FPS with vsync off), so that eliminates the possibility of PoE causing the issue.

You can get some arctic silver 5 from newegg.com and re-apply it yourself if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing. Otherwise I recommend finding a buddy to do it for you.

Sorry, but you're wrong. I play most arpg's that come out, and this is the only game that makes the processor run hot on my quad core. There is obviously something screwy going on if this many people are noticing it and getting errors/crashes. Only after adding even more fans to my case, it stopped crashing as much. Still crashing on zoning every couple hours though.

I and many others are not retarded to the concept of applying the correct amount of thermal paste, since building your own gaming rig became a common thing to do.
"
tramshed wrote:
In your video cards settings panel, there should be an option to force vsync on and to internally lower video quality. If you combine that with disabling shadows it should help out quite a bit. Also, you might consider taking some canned air or an air compressor to your laptop to clean all the dust out of it.

Edit: Vsync forces the game to only render frames as many times a second as your monitor can display. With it off the video card will render as many frames as possible as fast as it can, causing heat to go up.

There are some problems with the game seemingly by-passing Vsync in some circumstances reported in earlier threads and I have had similar occurances so I do not trust it.

I would recommend a 3rd party FPS limiter.
I have generally had good experience with this guy:
http://www.filecrop.com/fps-limiter-0.2.html
How to (fsx instead of PoE, but it is the same recommandations):
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/7488-utilities-fps-limiter-02/

When you use a 3rd party FPS limiter I would recommend turning Vsync off to avoid having potential conflicts.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
"
radiatoren wrote:
There are some problems with the game seemingly by-passing Vsync in some circumstances reported in earlier threads and I have had similar occurances so I do not trust it.

I would recommend a 3rd party FPS limiter.
I have generally had good experience with this guy:
http://www.filecrop.com/fps-limiter-0.2.html
How to (fsx instead of PoE, but it is the same recommandations):
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/7488-utilities-fps-limiter-02/

When you use a 3rd party FPS limiter I would recommend turning Vsync off to avoid having potential conflicts.

That's exactly what happens to me. Thanks for your help, I will definitely try this program :D

"
simonizor wrote:

Just to clarify: I play heavy RTS like Starcraft 2 and I can't get overheat with it. When the SC2 gets a lot of action and units on screen my fps goes down and my temperature keeps under control. With PoE, my laptop temperature goes up even when I am idle at the login screen, which doesn't demand much graphic power.

It looks like, from my view as an common gamer, that there is something on the PoE process that keeps pushing the GPU.

--

Guys, sorry if I became a pain in the ass with this subject. My goal here was just to help the developers to get a solution, which so far is a 3rd part fps limiter.

I will also try some more in depth analysis of the problem, like taking notes of the temperatures by minute, turning off the catalyst A.I and changing my fan speed table. I hope it can be useful.

Thanks all of you for the attention given to me and to the matter :D
Last edited by Pedigra on Jul 20, 2012, 4:09:32 PM
"
"
simonizor wrote:

Sorry, but you're wrong. I play most arpg's that come out, and this is the only game that makes the processor run hot on my quad core. There is obviously something screwy going on if this many people are noticing it and getting errors/crashes. Only after adding even more fans to my case, it stopped crashing as much. Still crashing on zoning every couple hours though.

I and many others are not retarded to the concept of applying the correct amount of thermal paste, since building your own gaming rig became a common thing to do.
Wow, that's what I get for trying to help? You come off as quite a prick in this post.

I wasn't talking about applying thermal paste to your CPU, I was talking about your GPU. I was not attempting to insult anyone's ability to apply thermal paste. Most people never touch the thermal paste on their GPUs unless they swap out the stock heatsink/fan for a better one. Anyways, the people posting in this thread are having problems with their GPUs overheating which is why I recommended that they check the thermal paste on their GPUs.

I'm sorry if you guys are having issues, but like I said, there's nothing any video game can do wrong to your GPU that would cause it to overheat besides pushing too many frames per second. Again, if you're not getting an absurdly high amount of FPS, the game is not doing anything wrong to cause your GPU to overheat. The cause of the problem is either your GPU not being able to cool itself well enough or lack of air flow in your entire case.

A GPU that's being cooled properly should be able to run at stock clocks/voltages with 100% of it's power being used for hours on end. The only thing PoE can do is use up all of your GPU's power. If your GPU overheats when at full power, that is not PoE's fault.

End of story.

:EDIT: I'm sorry, I didn't really read your post very well. I assumed that you were talking about your GPU overheating because that's what this topic is about, but well..

Anyways, the same logic applies to your CPU. The game cannot do anything to your CPU to cause it to overheat other than pushing out too many FPS. If you're not getting absurdly high FPS and your CPU is overheating, it is because your CPU is not being cooled well enough. There's no debate here.

Download Prime95 and leave it running for a few hours. It's a test that makes your CPU run at 100% to see if it's overheating. If it overheats while running Prime95, you're CPU isn't being cooled well enough.
Last edited by simonizor on Jul 21, 2012, 1:17:59 PM
"
simonizor wrote:

I'm sorry if you guys are having issues, but like I said, there's nothing any video game can do wrong to your GPU that would cause it to overheat besides pushing too many frames per second.

This is incorrect. You can overheat a GPU also with activating most of its circuits - which usually is done via taxing every shader core it got. You even break the TDP limit on some of them with this method. An example for this behavior is Furmark, which most of the drivers throttle for this very reason.

That sad if you manage to tax most of the CPUs calculation units it also will get much hotter. Only in this case the scenario was thought of and is not of such a consequence.

You also should consider that if a component gets warmer the overall temperature is rising. So it actually might be the GPU which also heats up the CPU and the rest.
Last edited by Schmackbolzen on Jul 22, 2012, 12:46:11 PM
"
simonizor wrote:
Download Prime95 and leave it running for a few hours. It's a test that makes your CPU run at 100% to see if it's overheating. If it overheats while running Prime95, you're CPU isn't being cooled well enough.

I understand your approach on this matter but I really believe that your logic is incorrect.

This is the only game that I have problem with overheating (Had actually. I'll talk about this later). Also, the stress programs, like Prime95, doesn't make my laptop to shutdown because of high temperatures. So, looking to this data, it seems to me that my laptop cooling system is ok and it's the game that's is making my GPU overheat (only the GPU temps go crazy). If there was something wrong with my system I believe I would have saw similar problems with other games.

But I really apreciate your help.

Also, I have good news!

I solved the problem with a 3rd part program called Bandicam. This software is mostly used for video recording but it also has a FPS limiter on it.

By far this is the easier way to control the FPS.
First you need to download the program: http://www.bandicam.com/
Then just install it and set the FPS limit to 30 (or 60 if you prefer) and you are done! Doesn't forget to set the vsync off in game and in your VGA control panel as well.

For me the FPS stabilized around 30 and the maximum temperature so far was 76 C degrees on my GPU. Prety much normal!

Thank guys for all your help! If someone need help with the bandicam just PM me. I'll be glad to help.
holy shit bandicam helps me so much. My desktop is back at home and sadly when im away on business i play on my laptop, my work laptop, which when it gets incredibly hot i get very nervous. Thanks so much for figuring this out. Hopefully gg can do something to help out us that game on lower end pcs. I love this game and really dont want to fry my computer on it!
"
Pedigra wrote:
"
simonizor wrote:

I understand your approach on this matter but I really believe that your logic is incorrect.

This is the only game that I have problem with overheating (Had actually. I'll talk about this later). Also, the stress programs, like Prime95, doesn't make my laptop to shutdown because of high temperatures. So, looking to this data, it seems to me that my laptop cooling system is ok and it's the game that's is making my GPU overheat (only the GPU temps go crazy). If there was something wrong with my system I believe I would have saw similar problems with other games.

But I really apreciate your help.

Also, I have good news!

I solved the problem with a 3rd part program called Bandicam. This software is mostly used for video recording but it also has a FPS limiter on it.

First you need to download the program: http://www.bandicam.com/
Then just install it and set the FPS limit to 30 (or 60 if you prefer) and you are done! Doesn't forget to set the vsync off in game and in your VGA control panel as well.

For me the FPS stabilized around 30 and the maximum temperature so far was 76 C degrees on my GPU. Prety much normal!

Thank guys for all your help! If someone need help with the bandicam just PM me. I'll be glad to help.

Thanks a lot! My GPU and CPU temperatures were almost up to 90C but when I locked it to 60 fps with the program you recommended the temperatures dropped immediately to around 70C.
just one more map
"
Pedigra wrote:

Also, I have good news!

WOW, I love you! That solved the problem for me. Until now I was only able to play for about 10 minutes before Catalyst Control Center started warning me about the GPU overheating and lowering the frequencies automatically. I downloaded Bandicam and set it to limit the framerate to 60 fps. And now I've been playing for over 1 hour and everything is perfect, no overheating problems at all. Thanks!
Last edited by SANAFABICH on Jan 28, 2013, 9:10:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info