Heat issues

Hi!

I'm new to PoE, just bought the early acces pack this weekend. By the way, it's an amazing game. Congrats!

So far, there is one problem that keeps me from fully apreciate the game: it gets to damn hot!

After 10 min of gamming (even when idle at the loading screen) my graphic card temperature goes over 100 C degrees! When it happens, my laptop restarts automatically as a security measure.

My laptop is a quite old Philco PHN15006 with a Radeon HD4650. Yes, I know that laptops weren't made for gamming, that a I have an old one, and that this laptop model comes from factory with heat issues releated.

But consider this: I've done all the workarounds and fixes created by the community for my laptop and I've been playing successfully through the past years without problems so far. Until PoE.

I play a lot of other games, like Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Fifa 2012, Civilization V, Portal 2, Counter-Srike: GO and many others. In ALL of then I don't get temperatures over 81 C degrees. I play most of then on minimal settings but it's quite impressive for such cheap machine.

I do believe that there is something on the game's code that makes my laptop temperature goes that high. The temp keeps going up in a very specific pace and drops down immediately after I get out of the game (doesn't need to close the game, just minimize it).

So far, I've been playing with a big vent aimmed over the laptop but that just make the temperature to climb slower. When it gets over 90 C degrees I do a ALT+TAB and wait about 2 minutes so the temperature goes back to 45 C degrees.

I do not have much time during the week, but I'm at your's disposal to provide any info about my laptop and this heat issue if you guys believe that it can help to prevent problems with others laptop gammers.

Sorry for my bad english.
Keep up the good work!

Cheers from Brasil.
There is another post up to 7 pages about this. I'm presonally having pretty much exactly the same problem on a quad core, 8gb ram, nvidia gt 530 (all updated/clean) machine that never has problems. Got a fan blowing into the side panel, which knocked temp down to 87c... Afraid i'll frag my card, which is irreplacable at this time due to budget constraints lol. Vsync on 2x and still up to 111 fps spikes (hit f1 in game).
The only game that's caused a computer to seize for me was Aion in the pvp battles (80+ fireballs at the same time...grrrrk)
I'd recommend downloading a program to limit your framerate, until we have the game optimized and a framerate limit built in!
Balance & Design
Sory for the late response.

I read the instructions for posting and the other 2 threads about this same problem.

Two questions:
- Should I close this one and post my problem on the other thread?

- Do you guys want me to send info about my laptop (dxdiag log and etc)?

It seems to me that the overheat problem is a known issue and it has been taking care of, which is wonderful news.

For while I will look for the FPS limiter workaround. Do you guys have any suggestion?

Thanks for the help.
In your video cards settings panel, there should be an option to force vsync on and to internally lower video quality. If you combine that with disabling shadows it should help out quite a bit. Also, you might consider taking some canned air or an air compressor to your laptop to clean all the dust out of it.

Edit: Vsync forces the game to only render frames as many times a second as your monitor can display. With it off the video card will render as many frames as possible as fast as it can, causing heat to go up.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Jul 17, 2012, 4:18:58 PM
I will definetly try to force the vsync on my graphic card control panel. I've completely forgot about that because I normaly force it off to have better performace. That and the lowest possible settings on the graphic card.

By the way, setting shadows off doesn't make any diference.

What is strange with this heat issue is that the temperature keeps going up even on the login screen, which shouldn't demand much power from the graphic card. And no other game (or even stress test programs) has ever managed do such a thing as making my laptop gets hotter than it's fan can cool it.

Anyway, thanks for your help :D
I will post the result of the vsync test later.
Just an update:

Forcing the vsync directly through the catalyst control center didn't maked any difference. Another temperature peak over 100 C degrees that leaded to a reboot.

Can someone suggest me a FPS limiter program? I've took a quick look on google but didn't found anything promissing :/

Thanks in advance.
having the same problem
http://www.result.pk/rawalpindi-board-result.html
/
Open your computer and clean the dust off of your video card with a can of compressed air.
"
simonizor wrote:
Open your computer and clean the dust off of your video card with a can of compressed air.

There is no dust problem with the video card. No other game (including the more graphic demanding ones) has ever gave me this kind of problem :/

After some research I've found this thread (http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/139781-fps-limiter.html) that looks very similar to my problem. It seems that this heat issue is kind of common in a lot of other games.

I will try the RivaTuner + D3D Overrider workaround sometime this week and I will post the results.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info