Why isn't this game on Steam?!

We would like to be available on Steam. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as signing a form and clicking a button.

There's actually a lot of work that would be required to integrate into the Steam framework. It's time and man-power that we really can't spare at the moment.

If we were to end up on Steam one day, we wouldn't force people to use it in order to play.
Code warrior
"
Rhys wrote:
We would like to be available on Steam. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as signing a form and clicking a button.

There's actually a lot of work that would be required to integrate into the Steam framework. It's time and man-power that we really can't spare at the moment.

If we were to end up on Steam one day, we wouldn't force people to use it in order to play.

Thanks for the post, Rhys! I'm literally moving AS WE SPEAK but I promise I'll find to update the suggestions thread ASAP. You're a pal, man.
"
golem09 wrote:
I'd rather have steam drm than being forced to have the game in my dvd drive. There is also no legal way around that.

I'd rather have a game directly from the developers which have no DRM gubbings than either of those. I didn't know paying for things enabled an argument for what constitutes as a legal matter.
Steam...

Pros :

- Popularity:

-> Actually that's only one good thing for me I guess...

Cons :

- Excessive Security:

No Modding allowed, even slightest changes to interface,decorations,texture compression etc. => BAN

- Acessibility:

You need to launch Steam first if you want to play. It happens to be overloaded sometimes so you can't access Steam -> You can't access PoE.

Having to download X-launcher to download Y-Game is bad for me. There more people like me, who hates requirement of downloading unnecessary programs.

But If it's gonna be optional and not so Steam-integrated, I can bear it.

"
And in general it does deserve credit. Whether you like the client or not, or your internet sucks is in no way my problem when I'm using it. I don't have to reinstall all my games on steam when I change my OS, I don't have to manually download 6 patches which are each available in 5 different region versions and for 3 different editions of the game, and then install them in a specific order. I just click install, wait and play.

-> With DVD versions it's not much of problem, because mainly you have only one patch to download.

In case of MMO games it's even easier, because they have launcher which let you download it as easily as in Steam.

"
GGG would never completely rely on steamworks to run the server structure, so there is no way or reason steam could become a requirement to play the game.
I don't even know how steam handles their third party F2P games.

Fail Example :

Age of Empires Online, a perfect thing why I hate indirect services needed to make it run. To run it you need Steam (which is quite bearable alone) and Games for Windows (My Opinion about it).

Games for Windows, it needs serial number and downloading installer for every game, even F2P + their supporting countries limitation/inaccessibility = "Hey, i just met you, and this is crazy, But here's my shotgun, so kill me, maybe?"
"
Macronne wrote:
- Excessive Security:

No Modding allowed, even slightest changes to interface,decorations,texture compression etc. => BAN
Uh, that's simply not true.
"
"
Macronne wrote:
- Excessive Security:

Uh, that's simply not true.

Arrow to the knee!
/Workshop (TF2)
/Source
/DungeonDefenders
/Tons of other online-enabled Steam games I've played

Oh no I bumped. Hint hint. LAST WORD! >:D
Lady Luck Loves a Trust Fall
Last edited by Denninja on Jul 3, 2012, 7:02:44 AM
I'd love to see PoE on steam. There's no need to hurry tho, it could be added some time after release.

Tribes: Ascend was not on steam at first, but it was added later and afaik steam is not required to play it. Same could be done with Poe, "optional" service.
Also Age of Empires online requires either Steam or GFWL. but not both. You do need GFWL login though but if you have a Xbox live account its already a GFWL account
Why would it be on steam if it's in closed beta?
It'd be great sure.

But it's not a necessity; and I think they are concentrating more on the game rather than marketing (which is what the advantage of steam boils down to basically.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info