Devs: Please consider a full wipe when moving from Closed to Open

"
Ruland wrote:
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
The current developer mindset is:
"
Chris wrote:
When we enter Open Beta, we will destroy all items and characters and remove the current leagues. You will get clean level 1 characters with your current names.
Source

I believe that instead there should be a full wipe, including character names.

There are currently 318,761 characters according to the ladder.

That's 318k reserved names. The game is still 2 or more months from launch and there's more than a quarter of a million names reserved.

Due to everything being hosted on the same "server" every single character you create, no matter what league it's on, has to have a unique, unused, name. I'm seeing more and more xxx and leet names popping up, and it's because of this enormous swath of character names that are reserved.

Please consider a full wipe on character names so that we don't have to resort to adding random letters into our character names.
Absolutely makes no sense and punishes the people who have been here playing the beta. What does wiping the names have to do with anything...oh wait...I get it, you didn't get the name you wanted, therefore everyone should start over so you have a chance at it. Gotcha. Lame idea is lame imo.

Well said.
There's no reason for GGG to go back on their word of keeping our names intact past this point.
I suggest simply checking which accounts have been inactive ingame (under X amount hours logged on any character) and giving just those a complete wipe.
They won't miss them, as they likely won't even remember them.
There's no reason to let people who haven't even played, to keep however many names they've wasted.

As for any changes to the naming system, I strongly disagree; we don't need shameless kids violating our individuality by assuming pale imitations of names, twisted by symbols other than letters.

Russel, meet R_U_S_S_E_L.
See, it's bad enough already.

S_O_L_U_T_I_O_N:
Keep the current letter+underscore limit.
Ignore underscores when checking new name inputs for matches to used ones.
That way no one can "steal" any name by using underscores.
Also, restrict character names matching account names to each account's owner, ignoring the ones with numbers.
Is this practical?
Lady Luck Loves a Trust Fall
Last edited by Denninja on Jul 3, 2012, 7:25:31 AM
"
Denninja wrote:
Well said.
There's no reason for GGG to go back on their word of keeping our names intact past this point.
I suggest simply checking which accounts have been inactive ingame (under X amount hours logged on any character) and giving just those a complete wipe.
They won't miss them, as they likely won't even remember them.
There's no reason to let people who haven't even played, to keep however many names they've wasted.

Yes, yes there is.

In fact, there's 334,489 reasons. I started the topic 15 days ago, in that time there have been 15,728 new characters created.

There's going to be another 100,000 created before we hit open beta.

Imagine how many are going to be created in the first week of open when all of those people begging for beta keys are suddenly able to log in.

And you say there's no reason...
TehHammer is not a crime!
There are 121 274 unique names and 370 878 unique surnames in Czech republic (for year 2011). Real names and surnames. It is a country of 10 million people in central Europe.
✠ ✠
So what you're saying is that there are more unique names currently in PoE than there are in the entire country of Czech Republic?
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
So what you're saying is that there are more unique names currently in PoE than there are in the entire country of Czech Republic?
Not when you count combinations of first and last names.... Which would be somewhere around 45 billion.

Names in a given culture follow general rules for what is accepted and what isn't. John Smith is an accepted English name, but Robot Killer Smith isn't. PoE doesn't have that restriction. You can name your character just about anything you want and not worry about fitting into socially-accepted schemes. This makes the available names only limited by the set of characters available and the possible length of a name. You can name your character Zyxwyfyrn if you want; not many people will be fighting over that.

You can also use first and last names in the game, by the way. First_Last or FirstLast makes for far more character names. People seem to want to fight over very common names by being the first to successfully name a templar "Templar" as soon as the open beta starts or being the first to use every common, overused game name like "Cloud." If your character names are so common that tons of other people want to use them, maybe you should try being more creative.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Just a comparison so we can relate the numbers to something. Imagine we could use both name and surname in one nickname. Wouldn't it be over 40 billions possible nicknames in Czech Republic already?

-edit-
NinjaWhiteboy88 :)
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Jul 6, 2012, 4:14:25 PM
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
"
TheRabbit303 wrote:
Not when you count combinations of first and last names.... Which would be somewhere around 45 billion.

Names in a given culture follow general rules for what is accepted and what isn't. John Smith is an accepted English name, but Robot Killer Smith isn't. PoE doesn't have that restriction. You can name your character just about anything you want and not worry about fitting into socially-accepted schemes. This makes the available names only limited by the set of characters available and the possible length of a name. You can name your character Zyxwyfyrn if you want; not many people will be fighting over that.

You can also use first and last names in the game, by the way. First_Last or FirstLast makes for far more character names. People seem to want to fight over very common names by being the first to successfully name a templar "Templar" as soon as the open beta starts or being the first to use every common, overused game name like "Cloud." If your character names are so common that tons of other people want to use them, maybe you should try being more creative.
My next character is going to be RobotKillerSmith... Unless it's already taken.
So, in the time since my last update we had a free weekend.

Current character count: 440,460

There were ~106k new characters created in less than a month. All of them with globally unique names, all of them that will still be sitting there when this game launches.

There's at least another month before we move to open beta. There might even be another stress test in there where the game is again opened to the public.

This is already becomming a problem devs, you need to figure out how to combat this soon. Nobody is going to want to play a game (and especially not spend money on a game) where they have to play a character named Zyxanswafns because they couldn't get any comprehensible name.
How about this, delete all Non-Beta Member characters and any that haven't been played in 1-3 months.
"
GigaClon wrote:
How about this, delete all Non-Beta Member characters and any that haven't been played in 1-3 months.

This makes sense to me.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info