Physical damage conversions

Unavailable

The mod on Blackgleam Quiver...

How does this work with skills like Burning Arrow? Is the physical damage converted before or after the fire damage from Burning Arrow is added?

Whatever the answer is, I'm assuming it applies to Lightning Arrow and anything else similar?

Also, how does Added Fire Damage work with Lightning Arrow?

Is there a rule of thumb as to which occurs first, or does it depend on the situation (item mod vs skill gem vs support gem)?
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Jun 19, 2012, 11:33:30 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
The way it's set up presently, it doesn't actually matter: converted damage counts as both the type it's converted from and the type it's converted to for damage enhancement calculations (one of the reasons why Avatar of Fire was so powerful).

It's probably simplest to think of it as "after", though.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
"
Skivverus wrote:
The way it's set up presently, it doesn't actually matter: converted damage counts as both the type it's converted from and the type it's converted to for damage enhancement calculations (one of the reasons why Avatar of Fire was so powerful).

It's probably simplest to think of it as "after", though.

That's a confusing way to think about it, but thanks.

To make sure I have it correct, if it says "converts," it will count as physical damage towards physical modifiers and elemental towards elemental modifiers. However, it doesn't add that on top unless it specifically says so (in the case of Burning Arrow/Added Fire Damage, for example).

So...a 100 physical damage attack having 30% added as fire and 50% of it converted from physical to fire would do a total of:

50 Physical Damage
80 Fire Damage

Is this correct?
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
Last edited by MonopolyLegend on Jun 20, 2012, 12:50:47 AM
"
So...a 100 physical damage attack having 30% added as fire and 50% of it converted from physical to fire would do a total of:

50 Physical Damage
80 Fire Damage

Is this correct?
Yes.

If it helps to think about it this way, "convert 50% of physical damage to fire" is the same thing as "Add 50% of physical damage as fire, and remove 50% of physical damage"

So in your example, you have:
Add 30% physical as fire
Add 50% physical as fire and subtract 50% physical

which obviously totals to adding 80% of your physical damage as fire damage, and losing 50% of your physical damage, leaving you with the 80 fire and 50 physical.
So ( question for the devs.) i have been wondering for some time... What happens if u have more than 1 type of "x% of damage converted to X-elemental damage"??
Lightning arrow + that Blackgleam quiver , + those unique gloves that grants "25% converted to cold damage" and maybe also the unique bow that grants "25% converted to chaos damage"
Now u have like 150'ish% of pysical damage converted to elemental damage... is that even possible... what is the outcome?
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

If it helps to think about it this way, "convert 50% of physical damage to fire" is the same thing as "Add 50% of physical damage as fire, and remove 50% of physical damage"

So does this mean that if I am specced into increased physical damage, it would be detrimental for me to use items with the "covert x% of physical" mod?

In a very grind heavy game the death penalty equates to...more grinding.
"
auraforlaura wrote:
So ( question for the devs.) i have been wondering for some time... What happens if u have more than 1 type of "x% of damage converted to X-elemental damage"??
Lightning arrow + that Blackgleam quiver , + those unique gloves that grants "25% converted to cold damage" and maybe also the unique bow that grants "25% converted to chaos damage"
Now u have like 150'ish% of pysical damage converted to elemental damage... is that even possible... what is the outcome?

I'm also curious about things like the situation above...

We should probably add in the order of operations to the mechanics thread.

Like:

30% from physical to fire, 30% of fire to cold... there is no reason to expect cold to go after fire, and when fire to cold is applied you might have 0 fire damage.

I really dislike this system, and it provides a huge amount of confusion to players.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
TheSwampDog wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

So does this mean that if I am specced into increased physical damage, it would be detrimental for me to use items with the "covert x% of physical" mod?

The game works this way.

It checks your weapon for it's damage then apply all damage increased bonus of that weapon to it.

Then it checks for any extra damage from items (rings giving 1-4 physical damage for example) and add it to the previous number.

Then it add up all your increases from other gear, strength if applicable, gem increased damage (not damage multiplier or "more") and damage increasing nodes from the tree and multiply the previous bonus by that amount +1

Then there's the gem multiplier if applicable.

Then there's the support gems if applicable (melee physical damage, damage on full life are good example). Each of those are multipliers btw.

That gives you the final physical damage.

Now, we start with the elemental damage.

First, the game check for base elemental damage (1-50 lightning damage for example) and add them all for each elements.

The game then check for any damage based off your physical damage (such as hatred and added fire damage) and add those numbers to their element pool.

The game then check for conversion numbers such as blackgleam and add that to it's element pool (and deduct that conversion from your physical damage pool).

Then comes increased elemental damage from gear and nodes. This multiply the damage from the elemental pool by it's appropriate value (I also believe that effects that increased an element damage by x% is added to weapon elemental damage % rather than being multiplied but I haven't tinkered with it much).

Finally, if you have a weapon elemental damage support gem, it multiply those value one last time to give you the final value of your damage.

Please note that in the case of the facebreaker gloves, that this order isn't the same for balancing reasons.

Aside from that, I'm not 100% sure about the added physical damage from items but I think that's how it's done.

If there's any errors, please correct me (and them!).

Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Like the others, I'm curious to know what happens if I convert more than 100% of my physical damage. You can't deduce more than 100% of your physical damage. Or, using the terms of the previous post, I can't remove more than 100% of my physical damage pool.

@TheSwampDog : It's very beneficial if you spec into physical when you're converting it. This is the reason why Avatar of fire wasn't balanced.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Aug 25, 2012, 5:53:29 PM
if you have 'convert 120% of phys damage to fire' and you are doing 100 phys damage you will do 120 fire damage instead.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info