Chance to dodge attacks and chance to evade.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Spells have no accuracy - evasion has no way to interact with them.
They can be dodged by Phase Acrobatics, but never evaded.

Each of the three defenses has a weakness; Armour only protects against physical damage, Evasion only protects against attacks, and Energy Shield is ignored by Chaos damage.

Hey Mark,

Thank you for the answer! I do have one more question: are spells effected by block, via dual wield or off hand shields? They seem to have static probability of occurring.
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
By default, blocking only works against attacks.
There is a stat which will make a percentage of your block chance work against spell damage as well - it's present on some unique items, I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else at the moment.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
There is a stat which will make a percentage of your block chance work against spell damage as well - it's present on some unique items, I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else at the moment.

There's a shield block node right next to Shield Mastery super node that applies 12% of your block chance to spells.
TehHammer is not a crime!
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Ah, gotcha. Thank you for clearing that up!
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Each of the three defenses has a weakness; Armour only protects against physical damage, Evasion only protects against attacks, and Energy Shield is ignored by Chaos damage.

I would argue the Energy Shield one is not a weakness at all.

Unless the enemy damage was entirely Chaos, receiving damage that bypasses the shield is pretty much the same as receiving normal damage, as your shield will likely go down before you die anyway.

I think energy shield needs different mechanics or different drawbacks. Right now it's not on par with Armour and Evasion, it's more related to Health and as such much more beneficial.
It is not the same as receiving normal damage, actually. If both health and ES go down at similar rates, instead of ES first as it is with normal damage then:

1) Your ES remains up longer, meaning you will be stunned less, as you get a 50% chance to avoid stun (according to the mechanics thread at least, but my experience with ES agrees)

2) Your health will start decreasing sooner, meaning you can start healing yourself earlier. This increases survivability as well.

I don't think ES should be changed or anything, but for sources not dealing 100% chaos damage (fights with different types of mobs included) I would consider the chaos damage property an advantage, not a weakness.
"
Falcord wrote:

I would argue the Energy Shield one is not a weakness at all.

Unless the enemy damage was entirely Chaos, receiving damage that bypasses the shield is pretty much the same as receiving normal damage, as your shield will likely go down before you die anyway.

I think energy shield needs different mechanics or different drawbacks. Right now it's not on par with Armour and Evasion, it's more related to Health and as such much more beneficial.

I would argue the problem is armor and evasion are too weak, why invest 1000 into armor which adds something like 5% damage reduction in chaos, if that, when you can add 500 energy shield? You'd need 10000 life/es for that 5% to make it worthwhile. I use ES and I don't think it's overpowered now that they nerfed Chaos Innoculation, but the problem is that the other forms of defense are nearly worthless in chaos.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
I think one problem with evasion is it is hard to tell sometimes if monsters are using attack or a spell. For example rhoa's charge always hits me with ~60% evasion chance, vaal construct projectiles seem to always hit as well. Can't remember anything other from the top of my head but I think I'm gonna do some testing to see what works.
The Rhoa charge is probably similar to shield charge. If it is, it explains why it always hits, because the description of shield charge states that "This attack cannot miss."
Yes, Rhoas use shield charge.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info