Chance to dodge attacks and chance to evade.

So, I picked up acrobatics.

I thought it would add a flat 20% to evasion.

Instead I see 40% chance to evade and 20% chance to dodge attacks.

What exactly is the difference between the two ratings?

And how will Phase Acrobatics factor into this?
They're different layers of defense.

If you have a 40% chance to evade and a 20% chance to dodge, you have a 6/10 * 8/10 chance to be hit, or a 52% chance to take no damage in total.

The effect of dodging and evading are the same.

Phase Acrobatics is just a 20% chance to dodge spells. There are no other ways to dodge spells. (You can block them with some items and a single passive up in the templar tree.)
thanks and which passive is that btw?
Last edited by Waves_blade on Jun 19, 2012, 9:48:38 PM
Wait, basic evasion (from armor) does not effect being hit by spells? I thought it did.
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
Spells have no accuracy - evasion has no way to interact with them.
They can be dodged by Phase Acrobatics, but never evaded.

Each of the three defenses has a weakness; Armour only protects against physical damage, Evasion only protects against attacks, and Energy Shield is ignored by Chaos damage.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Spells have no accuracy - evasion has no way to interact with them.
They can be dodged by Phase Acrobatics, but never evaded.

Each of the three defenses has a weakness; Armour only protects against physical damage, Evasion only protects against attacks, and Energy Shield is ignored by Chaos damage.

Question, how does evasion work with attack based spells?

Like the various arrow abilities for example, or cleave?
There are no "attack based spells"

Skills which use your weapon for damage are attacks, not spells. Cleave, Burning Arrow, Elemental Hit, etc are all attacks, which have accuracy which is checked against the opponent's evasion.

Spells are skills that are not attacks, such as Cold Snap, Ice Spear, or the curses. They don't deal weapon-based damage and have no accuracy. Spells cannot be evaded.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
There are no "attack based spells"

Skills which use your weapon for damage are attacks, not spells. Cleave, Burning Arrow, Elemental Hit, etc are all attacks, which have accuracy which is checked against the opponent's evasion.

Spells are skills that are not attacks, such as Cold Snap, Ice Spear, or the curses. They don't deal weapon-based damage and have no accuracy. Spells cannot be evaded.

Thank you for clarifying for me, gona bookmark this thread for future self reference ^_^
The spell and attack distinction will probably be made more explicitly visible on skill gems in a future update to how items are displayed.
On something of a related tangent, would Arrow Dodging affect the manifestation of spells that take projectile form, e.g. fireballs and such ?

edit: well I just noticed the mention of Ice Spear, so I can infer accordingly; possibly future revisions of Evasion's utility could incorporate design features similar to Acrobatics. And now somehow I have to ponder if I can accommodate (Phase) Acrobatics into my character design.
Last edited by Yewthane on Jun 19, 2012, 11:03:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info