Season Two, Event 35: 30 Minute Lethal Solo

I look at the races in beta is more of an experiment to see what works best?

More points for longer races, check.
Disproportionate rewards for the top players in each class? Not quite so sure about that.

I'm guessing GGG has enough data to know what percentage of people reach what levels in a race. That also means they have the ability to scale points based on that percentage. I'm guessing/hoping that's what they're doing. For example if people have gotten better, then by definition the level needed to get extra points will go up. Assuming of course GGG wants to keep the number of points awarded approximately the same from one race to another of the same type/duration.

I don't mind the demigod's Triumph being awarded, it's like a status symbol of... I finished top in a race.

But I do think that the number of points awarded for finishing top in a race might work better if it was a bit lower. flatten the curve so to speak. Flatten and lengthen for example.
maybe top player gets 5 points and demigod's Triumph
2 - 5 gets 4 points
6 - 10 gets 3 points
11 - 25 gets 2 points
26 - 50 gets 1 point

At that point you might have given people incentive to keep racing after making it to the next tier if someone is just a bit ahead of them and could up their standing on the class ladder. (of course then it'd be nice if there was a way to only view a specific class on the ladder)

For example in the latest race, I'm not sure what 50th place would be in a 3 hour race, but if it was level 21, I bet a lot of the people who stopped at level 19 and 20 would have more incentive to fight on, taking risks for that extra point.

This isn't a knock on the current structure BTW, I think the racing is great and I'm enjoying the opportunity to learn and become more efficient while winning the occasional cool goody. I just remind myself that, yes, this is a beta, and on the rare occasion that I get frustrated, I only have to take one look at D3 and yeah... :)
I think the level attainment rewards should start at a lower level and maybe be flattened out some at higher levels if GGG wants to entice casual or poor players.

There should be some hope of gaining reward points, but for those of us who play slow and are happy to steadily level and not die during the race, getting 0 points for not meeting the minimum is a little disheartening. I can live with one or two points; I know I suck. But 0 tends to make me not want to bother with races if there is no chance of getting any of the rewards. Especially since I work and playing time is limited.

Lvl 8 for one stinkin' point in a 30min lethal race is pretty damn tough. Thinkin I'm going to skip these 30min with special requirements if lvl 8 is the threshold.
Same as above.

I've worked pretty hard, and stayed up late to rack up my grand total of 8 pts. I'm ok with this, I can get points here and there.

I've really got no choice but to sit out this LETHAL race, since it would be a waste of time for me. If only the rewards were scaled better... ;p

While I'm complaining, I can't do enough of your races. I get home too late for your 5:00 PM EST races, and your 8:00 PM EST races oftentimes end near 11:00 which is just too late for me.

Some 6:00 or 7:00 races would really be right on.
Getting no points makes me play harder next time. i say it's a great system.
There can only be one Oatmeal.
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Khy wrote:
You have to come to the conclusion that Qarl just wants to frustrate or preclude all the casuals and even the middle tier players from the races. The majority of the non "No-Life players" will be fed up with racing pretty soon. In season two there are absolutely brainsick requirements just to make some little points.

That certainly is not the intention. There may be changes to point thresholds from week three of the season, but I am keen to see responses to these races.

One highly requested feature was that race rewards had more reflection to the length of races. Do you think as many points should be rewarded in a 30 minute race as a 3 hour race or a one week race?

I still kind of feel like the 8hr race, the week race, and the month race aren't too well adapted in terms of points. If you're going for points, you'd still be better off doing all the shorter and more numerous events than participating in the lengthy events.

On the subject of 3hr races, it seems like these have all but fallen off the race schedule. I'm really hoping some will be added later.
I agree with a lot that's been said here. Offering just 1 point to reach level 8 of a lethal race seems a bit too discouraging to the general populace of racers who don't happen to belong to the HC crowd.

Yes, races are supposed to be challenging, and yes, there should be extra rewards for those who work hard to reach the top, BUT- I think that lowering the threshold or improving the points for more difficult races would make them more appealing overall, and attract more players to give it a shot.

Personally, I enjoy the races immensely, and I love the challenge, but I also think that making it attractive to more members of the community would benefit the overall longevity and popularity of the game.
Do you get points for trying in life? No, but everyone sure as hell seems to think they should. This attitude had bled into everything, including gaming and it is sad.

I may or may not get to lvl 8 but I am going to try and if I don't I will figure out what Ineed to do different next time
Last edited by iamsamsara on Apr 27, 2013, 7:42:11 AM
"
Lagruell wrote:
I don't understand why the very best and dedicated players out of thousands occasionaly doing the races shouldn't get that much better rewards.

I think the problem doesn't come from the top having tons of points, but from everyone else having next to nothing. Basically, if you're not in the "Be the first" list, all you get is leveling points.

There are two problems with this : first, some races have very high leveling standards, which make it hard for people to even get these points, and second it's still quite frustrating to only have the levelup objectives. Spliting the reward into parallel objectives (such as the do X quest, clean Y zone) would give players choices, even if it doesn't actually increase their average gain per hour/per race.

"
iamsamsara wrote:
Do you get points for trying in life? No, but everyone sure as hell seems to think they should. This attitude had bled into everything, including gaming and it is sad.

Actually, yes you do get "points" for trying in life. Most people will hire a hard worker if not smart over a gifted but lazy person, both having equal results.

Also you seem to miss that games are meant to provide enjoyment, which "life" is not very good at (why would people play games, otherwise ?).
Last edited by orime on Apr 27, 2013, 7:56:15 AM
Would be so much cooler as LeathalNoProj

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info