I want to really dive into this game

Hello everyone.

I have played PoE before but never to a point where i was into end game, i wanted to face Sirus one day but never managed to do so, maybe it's the lack of skill or even knowledge of the game, i don't know.
PoE is a complex game and that's part of the charm that pulls me into coming here once again, i love it's hard, dark and complex nature.

Until a few weeks ago i was invested and playing World of Warcraft, the classic version but i can't support them anymore as a company, i tried look at new or other hack and slash games like Diablo 4 this one doesn't excite me at all, then there's Last Epoch (this one is on the backburner), old school Titan Quest, Hades or even Grim Dawn...but i keep looking at PoE, i do think that i will be missing a real gem here if i don't give it a proper go.

I noticed that the new league starts this next Friday so now might not be the right time to start playing PoE.

I see myself as a new player as i feel like i don't know much at all about PoE so i was wondering if anyone here could help me out or give me some advice in terms of the builds to try or they become obsolete with each new league start?

What websites or content creators should i read and watch as a new player?

In terms of the builds to follow i have no preference to be honest, i don't mind ranged or melee, I'm open to everything the greater issue here is that i end up feeling overwhelmed but i really want to improve on that or even overcome this feeling.

I can't get excited about any other hack and slash or action rpg out there, in PoE i end up feeling overwhelmed, stupid at times because i can't figure things out but i prefer it's dark gritty vibe than any other games out there.
Last bumped on Mar 29, 2024, 2:59:03 PM
League start is the perfect time to jump into the game.

There you'll find guides and builds, and you also learn the name of the content creators behind the guides/builds. Give them a follow. Also, Zizaran does have some beginner-firendly content.

Tools: Path of Building (PoB). Awakened PoE trade.

Much needed tools if you really want to dive deep into this game. PoB for planning your build, Awakened PoE trade for everything concerning the economy and price checking (not needed if you're not planning on trading).

But my biggest tip? Get yourself a guild. I see you already have one with a semi-cute name, but is it populated by active players? There's tons of guilds out there with tons of helpful players. Forget the forums and Reddit; it's in the guilds where you'll actually find out that the PoE community is a good community.

Have fun out there.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Mar 26, 2024, 8:06:25 AM
"
Phrazz wrote:
League start is the perfect time to jump into the game.

There you'll find guides and builds, and you also learn the name of the content creators behind the guides/builds. Give them a follow. Also, Zizaran does have some beginner-firendly content.

Tools: Path of Building (PoB). Awakened PoE trade.

Much needed tools if you really want to dive deep into this game. PoB for planning your build, Awakened PoE trade for everything concerning the economy and price checking (not needed if you're not planning on trading).

But my biggest tip? Get yourself a guild. I see you already have one with a semi-cute name, but is it populated by active players? There's tons of guilds out there with tons of helpful players. Forget the forums and Reddit; it's in the guilds where you'll actually find out that the PoE community is a good community.

Have fun out there.

Hello @Phrazz how are you? By the way thank you so much for replying to my post.

About the guild that was one i was in with a few friends only, they don't play the game anymore, they moved on to other games like D4 or whatever but i can't do the same, i actually love the vibe that PoE gives out, i don't know how to explain it.

Is there a place where i can look for a nice guild?
Just play regularly and question everything you do and you see
Aim for something and not all at the same time

After a league or two if you manage to suck in plenty of info - make your own builds and try to make them better
Use wikis for transfigured gems, unique items list, etc. Import all the knowledge into your brain

I assume you will play SC, so there's not a lot of punishment there to go blind in certain scenarios

Don't just play mindlessly - learn, and you'll get there

I've wasted like 2-3k hours of just playing the game and not willing to learn...maybe more
"
Splat_86 wrote:
Is there a place where i can look for a nice guild?

Sure, Guilds have their own sub forum here on the forums. Forum - Index - Guilds.

Two tips:
Be willing to learn
Be willing to fail

You'll need the first, you will experience the second. And PoE isn't really an intuitive game, so you will need help in your learning experience, be that from guides, builds, knowledge from other players or websites.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Mar 26, 2024, 2:46:18 PM
"
Splat_86 wrote:
i was invested and playing World of Warcraft, the classic version but i can't support them anymore as a company, i tried look at new or other hack and slash games like Diablo 4

You're not making any sense, as Diablo 4 is from the same company... o_O
Affliction and Necropolis are the worst leagues ever to exist. The current game design and direction is atrocious.
Lightning Arrow Deadeye basically never fails as a starter build.

I think Zizaran has videos on his YouTube channel of an entire campaign run-through if you need some help in that regard.
There is way too much to learn. Once you spend some time on your own, to get used to, you may learn the aspects of the game that you find the most intriguing at the moment, realizing that you can't "get it all" on the first time.

Zizran, already mentioned here, has a series called "PoE University" on YouTube, which is one of the best, IMHO, for new and intermediate players.

After having learned some, I found it very helpful to watch a Hardcore SSF race from zero to Pinnacle bosses in one run. When you see how content can be negotiated without super rare gear, you will feel much readier to go on your own.
Last edited by xxn1927 on Mar 26, 2024, 11:17:13 PM
I don't usually do this, but if you want someone on hand for asking questions or help out every now and then, you may add me as a friend ingame.

I usually mentor a couple of people each league and share what I have learned. Where my knowledge falls short I can often point you in the right direction.
My most hated game.
My most favorite game.
Such is the duality of man.
Find a build guide, maybe by Zizaran, and just follow it to the letter. Zizaran champion explosive arrow is still maybe the easiest league starter of all time, but others like lightning arrow are fine.

People saying make your own way are not helping, they probably followed 10-15 guides and made 20 of their own builds by now. (incoming "no I didnt, I only play my own builds SSF on a toaster using a microwave as a display and only using my left knee to control the character").

A good build guide will let you conquer content and get you more comfortable with the game.

THEN you can consider making your own builds.
Last edited by trixxar on Mar 27, 2024, 1:51:47 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info