Magic Find needs a rework

That's crazy, ramping up every new league mechanics rewards like that is pretty cheap tactic to force people play only leagues and not standard :)

And still, with MF it would have been even more crazy.
Dude MF is doing 4x that in T7 maps. The point is going completely over your head. In 10 maps. Not 3 full days.
Last edited by Moregaze on Dec 23, 2023, 5:10:35 PM
In response to your concerns about the Magic Find stat in Path of Exile, I'd like to offer a different perspective by providing 9 reasons why MF is not necessarily a bad mechanic to have in the game:

Diversity of Builds: MF builds allow players to specialize in farming currency and items, which diversifies gameplay styles and strategies. This creates a richer game experience with various viable playstyles.

Economic Role: Players with MF builds play a crucial role in the game's economy by supplying the market with rare items and currency, which can be beneficial for players who prefer not to focus on MF themselves.

Risk vs. Reward: MF builds often sacrifice survivability or damage for increased item drops, which adds a layer of risk versus reward decision-making to the game.

Player Progression: MF can be a tool for players to progress through the game's content, especially for solo players who might struggle to obtain certain items or currency.

Encourages Trading: The disparity in drop rates between MF and non-MF builds encourages trading among players, fostering a more active and interconnected community.

Excitement Factor: The thrill of finding rare items is amplified with MF, which can make the gameplay more exciting and rewarding for some players.

Content Accessibility: MF builds can make league mechanics and endgame content more accessible by providing the necessary resources to engage with these challenges.

Longevity of Play: The pursuit of better MF gear and the subsequent increased drop rates can keep players engaged with the game for longer periods.

Flexibility in Balancing: The existence of MF as a stat allows developers to adjust drop rates without directly changing the difficulty or mechanics of the content, offering a flexible tool for game balancing.
"
Moregaze wrote:
Dude MF is doing 4x that in T7 maps. The point is going completely over your head. In 10 maps. Not 3 full days.

The point is actually over your head. You saw a couple pictures on reddit and assumed MF parties see those crazy div stacks every map they run or something. You are the actual idiot. The people complaining about this have no idea what they're talking about.
This is even worse than loot goblin days. Everyone abusing wisps and mf gear to print divines and t0 uniques. You either do this strat or remain poor. Makes me wanna quit the league.
It's literally just the league mechanic, not MF gear. Play a stronger build and full juice your maps with wisps and mechanics that significantly increase the number of rares in your maps and you can get similar returns. You could also just keep doing your own thing and stop worrying about how much other people are making in their maps, because the economy isn't a zero sum game.

The league mechanic is very overtuned in how much it buffs monster difficulty, but for perhaps the first time in POE history, they actually made the rewards match the difficulty spike. This is not a bad thing.
Fairgraves was a slave trafficker specialized in the kidnapping and transport of children. He was not "a good man".
Moved on to SSF today. Inflation out of control. Unless willing to abuse MF abyss strat, can’t keep up. Glad people are having fun with it but makes trade league unenjoyable for me personally. Feel kind of punished for not cheesing mf fulcrum. People engaging in it posting 20-50 divine explosions in guild chat all weekend while I actually engage with the other 98% of the end game and make a couple divs an hour. It’s too bad we have the whole atlas tree of possibilities but the only clear standout strat is literally exponentially more profitable than anything else.
"
It's literally just the league mechanic, not MF gear. Play a stronger build and full juice your maps with wisps and mechanics that significantly increase the number of rares in your maps and you can get similar returns. You could also just keep doing your own thing and stop worrying about how much other people are making in their maps, because the economy isn't a zero sum game.

The league mechanic is very overtuned in how much it buffs monster difficulty, but for perhaps the first time in POE history, they actually made the rewards match the difficulty spike. This is not a bad thing.

this. i honestly like it a lot more that i can gear my character high enough to essentially turn a regular map into a long boss rush gauntlet but actually get rewarded decently for it, and i can mostly control the level of difficulty... and not have to rely on mf gear. i can't say how much it compares to tier 7 mf runs but i like the idea of not having to constantly buy mats like sextants. that and i find having to roll extra projectile maps annoying. wisp juicing fits my playstyle perfectly which is what matters to me.

if ggg really wants to nerf something, it should not be the league mechanic, but archnemesis mods.
Last edited by rembihnutur on Dec 26, 2023, 9:26:10 PM
"
Ethak wrote:
In response to your concerns about the Magic Find stat in Path of Exile, I'd like to offer a different perspective by providing 9 reasons why MF is not necessarily a bad mechanic to have in the game:

Diversity of Builds: MF builds allow players to specialize in farming currency and items, which diversifies gameplay styles and strategies. This creates a richer game experience with various viable playstyles.

Economic Role: Players with MF builds play a crucial role in the game's economy by supplying the market with rare items and currency, which can be beneficial for players who prefer not to focus on MF themselves.

Risk vs. Reward: MF builds often sacrifice survivability or damage for increased item drops, which adds a layer of risk versus reward decision-making to the game.

Player Progression: MF can be a tool for players to progress through the game's content, especially for solo players who might struggle to obtain certain items or currency.

Encourages Trading: The disparity in drop rates between MF and non-MF builds encourages trading among players, fostering a more active and interconnected community.

Excitement Factor: The thrill of finding rare items is amplified with MF, which can make the gameplay more exciting and rewarding for some players.

Content Accessibility: MF builds can make league mechanics and endgame content more accessible by providing the necessary resources to engage with these challenges.

Longevity of Play: The pursuit of better MF gear and the subsequent increased drop rates can keep players engaged with the game for longer periods.

Flexibility in Balancing: The existence of MF as a stat allows developers to adjust drop rates without directly changing the difficulty or mechanics of the content, offering a flexible tool for game balancing.

here are my counter points.

MF is actually a dated concept used to force players to give up power in order to get better loot. if we go back to the grand daddy of arpgs d1. oh wait bad example. lets move it up a little. d2. people were running MF builds everywhere. why did people run MF? to get better drops.

what do you do with the drops? what is the ultimate GOAL of all the "better drops"?

the real ultimate goal is to get the best loot for your build. i would argue MF AND Trade are a crutch used to bridge the gap to getting your best gear. let's go thru your 9 points.

1. build diversity. in POE you're technically encouraged to play as efficient as possible. hence many players are playing meta builds. i tend to avoid using the word meta and use the word efficient as there are many that will say "you dont need to play meta". you still need to be efficient. many builds are simply more efficient than others. build diversity is hampered by challenging content. the harder the content, the more you're forced out of diversity and have to embrace efficiency. for sure POE has more diversity than d4. but what exactly is an MF character? imho theres 2 versions of MF characters. one is the character is so strong it's blasting everything that you dont lose out too much by sacrificing some damage and some defence since you're blasting everything to begin with. the second is pure MF where your only role is to cull.

imho the latter is detrimental to the game as it makes cullers too good not to have. i dont know if you remember back when people were doing cullers back in the peak of AN. if you had a culler, a good monster culled would be so damn lucrative. we even had people advertise their culling services. why is this a bad thing? it simply makes single player experience become inferior. its even better to level 2 characters with one of them being a dedicated culler to maximize loot.

2. economic role. the game is balanced around trade. drops are balanced around trade. if you've played LE or GD, those games have their drops balanced around single play. as a result, if you play single player, you have ENOUGH loot drops that you can progress WITHOUT trade.

but you know what, you're right. mfer's are hard workers that provide a lot of currency for trade. that IS true. but what else is true? GGG KNOWS MF'ers exist. and with that GGG balances the game with that in mind. knowing that players would juice their maps and reap profit, they cant make non juiced maps too rewarding. hence MFer's existence actively HURTS the gaming experience of weaker players. you cant juice maps? barely running yellow tier maps because of your weak ass build/gear? too bad, have a few transmutes and alts for your trouble. they'll be lucky if they can farm a divine in a week.

3. risk and reward. i would argue that players should always want to use the best gear/build possible but instead make challenging content to reward players so they dont need to resort to MF. this is true with newer arpgs. looking back to d2, MF was the "BEST" solution at the time. ARPGs hadn't figured out "end game content" yet. people kept rerunning campaign areas over and over again. POE's mapping system solves this. run harder content for potential of better drops. ironically GGG kept MF in the game too for some reason.

4. longevity of play. back to point 3. if the game provided players harder content that gave better drops, players would choose not to have any MF equipment/character. in fact MF would become obsolete and unrequired.

5. encourages trading. let me rephrase that. trading becomes the efficient way to play.

6. excitement factor. i will actually agree with you. if you run an MF character, you definitely will get better drops and it can be very exciting for you. BUT that comes at a price. as i pointed out, loot drops are balanced around trade and factoring juicers/MFers. weaker players will get shitty drops and have an inferior experience compared to yours.

7.8.9. all are tied to what i already mentioned about the game being balanced around MFers and how it does affect the weaker players.

honestly i think its too late to remove MF from the game as it would hurt the players who invested heavily with MF

but i would say the best next best thing is to make the "baseline drops" be more generous so that weak players can have a more enjoyable experience faster.

since you mentioned trade/economy a lot i ll point out somethings.

ggg intentionally made trade bad, why? theres many reasons. 1 of them is to actually encourage players to actually play the game.

this is also why d3's AH was a bad move. players STOPPED "playing" the game. they were just grinding easy areas to earn as much gold as possible to buy their upgrades.

when AH was removed drop 2.0 was introduced to encourage players to farm their own loot.

in LE a huge debate broke out amongst the trade enjoyers vs the solo players. the solo players were concerned that once trade was introduced into the games the devs would nerf their loot drops. one reason why i enjoyed LE a huge deal is because i could farm my own currency and craft my own gear in a REASONABLE amount of time. even the devs initially wanted to disable trading. IIRC they specifically mentioned they wanted players to spend their time playing their game and challenging content.

i forgot if LE has MF in the game but what i do remember is that their mapping system allows you to increase the map difficulty for better rewards.

this is the sort of modern mechanics that i like. it encourages players to make themselves more powerful to engage in harder content.

while making yourself weaker to get more drops is "technically" the same thing, the mentality behind it is different. "what can i lose" vs "how can i make myself better".

if i were a game dev i would want to encourage my players to be the best versions of themselves and have them engage in content as tough as they can handle.

talking about longevity. mf is technically a way to artificially create longevity. it is how d2 survived. players kept playing and kept adding mf as it was the ONLY way to keep them playing. d4 on the other hand was weird. the devs made hurdles to make the game slower (indirectly less fun) and kept adding more hurdles to force them to spend more time in the game. when players started leaving in droves, they started adding more fun features into the game. many returned, and many started enjoying the game more. and when they enjoy the game, they play the game more.

how does this translate to this topic?

mf is fun for YOU specifically. i wouldnt want to take that away from you, but know this. the very existence of MF actively makes the experience of OTHER PLAYERS WORSE. if i m not enjoying the game i play it less.

sanctum was my most fav league OF ALL TIME. 10 years of playing and it was my most fav. one huge reason was because it rewarded good and deliberate playing. AND did not rely on any MF. besides harvest i believe i spent the most amount of my time in poe during sanctum.

when the games fun people play more.

who knew?
[Removed by Support]
Magic find is undeniably strong, in my opinion.

After not playing MF, then playing MF, I feel pretty dumb if I think about playing a non-MF build in certain content.
I do not share your fears or desires. I have different ones. Not sorry.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info