[3.22] - the definitive Chieftain Torchoak Step reflect galvanic arrow ballistas guide

"
Kyskythyn wrote:
"
Stoyicker wrote:

now that small ignites are not discarded, can't we just take avatar of fire or some minimal conversion to fire somewhere and open up the stormfire slot to a rare ring?

Just a side note on this point: there is a minimum amount of damage the ignite has to do or it will still be discarded (maybe 1 damage per second?). I am playing a similar build with blast rain and I notice that mobs with high fire resistance and damage reduction fail to get ignited. Adding some flat fire damage mostly fixed the issue, and for those that remain, I momentarily move my awakened fire pen gem into the ballista link.

I'm noticing the same thing. Seems to occur much more frequently on affliction empowered mobs. Once I got an all damage ignites effect that problem seemed to go away, but it is important to level the galvanic arrow gem and the supports because it does seem like the base damage matters.

My suspicion is that with the very low damage we deal, its possible that the ignite damage is being rounded down to 0 and failing to cause ignites.
Can confirm this build is going strong in 3.24, but I've made some key changes that make it quite a bit stronger. For one I've dropped Infernal Cry because it's nowhere near as powerful as an 18 stack of Stormblast Mines. With a +1 Gems Torchoak Step and a level 3 Enhance I get 5% damage taken per mine, and can get to 18 (20/20 Minefield) pretty quickly for a total of 90% increased damage taken, versus the 20% of Infernal Cry. I also throw Blood Rage in this 4-link for some additional attack speed from an effectively level 4 Enhance.

I've also dropped Sniper's Mark and Returning Proj (Swapped in GMP) because of the Sniper's Mark nerf. Mark on Hit would reduce Sniper's Mark from 2 splits to 1, which just isn't worth it for a curse slot. I've opted for an additional curse corrupted Eye of Innocence, a Flammability on Hit ring, and a +2 AoE/Aura (for your Determ and PoF) + Elemental Weakness on hit pair of Empire's Grasp.

Also dropped Vitality because the Recoup seems to be more than enough and went with a level 20 Clarity because mana sustain is a little difficult with the removal of the reduced mana cost craft on flasks.

I also don't think War Bringer is the play; the attack speed gained is sort of negligible, and I'd rather be a lot tankier, so I went with Jugg's Unbreakable for my Forbidden Jewels to get a ton of extra elemental mitigation considering we have such a high amount of armour. Basically gives 30% higher elemental max hits, which is pretty considerable.

I manged to get a Level 35 Ballista Totem/Level 5 Multiple Totems Forbidden Shako, so I'm crusing along great in my leveling process. If anyone wants to switch early before level 80 they can always use a Three Dragons helmet and simply a 20/20 Ballista Totem setup in their 6l Quill Rain and still do more than enough damage for leveling before hitting 80.

I've played this build on about 4 or 5 different occasions going back years and years, and this framework is the best I've seen, with a few tweaks of my own of course to squeeze out a fair bit of extra damage and survivability.
Last edited by Xanthochroid on Apr 7, 2024, 5:15:42 PM
"
Xanthochroid wrote:
Can confirm this build is going strong in 3.24, but I've made some key changes that make it quite a bit stronger. For one I've dropped Infernal Cry because it's nowhere near as powerful as an 18 stack of Stormblast Mines. With a +1 Gems Torchoak Step and a level 3 Enhance I get 5% damage taken per mine, and can get to 18 (20/20 Minefield) pretty quickly for a total of 90% increased damage taken, versus the 20% of Infernal Cry. I also throw Blood Rage in this 4-link for some additional attack speed from an effectively level 4 Enhance.

I've also dropped Sniper's Mark and Returning Proj (Swapped in GMP) because of the Sniper's Mark nerf. Mark on Hit would reduce Sniper's Mark from 2 splits to 1, which just isn't worth it for a curse slot. I've opted for an additional curse corrupted Eye of Innocence, a Flammability on Hit ring, and a +2 AoE/Aura (for your Determ and PoF) + Elemental Weakness on hit pair of Empire's Grasp.

Also dropped Vitality because the Recoup seems to be more than enough and went with a level 20 Clarity because mana sustain is a little difficult with the removal of the reduced mana cost craft on flasks.

I also don't think War Bringer is the play; the attack speed gained is sort of negligible, and I'd rather be a lot tankier, so I went with Jugg's Unbreakable for my Forbidden Jewels to get a ton of extra elemental mitigation considering we have such a high amount of armour. Basically gives 30% higher elemental max hits, which is pretty considerable.

I manged to get a Level 35 Ballista Totem/Level 5 Multiple Totems Forbidden Shako, so I'm crusing along great in my leveling process. If anyone wants to switch early before level 80 they can always use a Three Dragons helmet and simply a 20/20 Ballista Totem setup in their 6l Quill Rain and still do more than enough damage for leveling before hitting 80.

I've played this build on about 4 or 5 different occasions going back years and years, and this framework is the best I've seen, with a few tweaks of my own of course to squeeze out a fair bit of extra damage and survivability.

Would you be able to share your PoB? Please and Thank you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info