Sometimes I feel like I'm playing a VERY different game from everyone else...

"
Baharoth15 wrote:
@Phrazz Again, yes, if you lower the goal post enough at some point your argument becomes true

It does. And for new player (and some casual players), that is exactly where the goal post should be, at least in the beginning. Sure, in your (and my) world it's only 10% of the game - and we would be right in claiming that. In a new player's world? It may be 100% of the game.

"
But from my point of view that's an entirely hollow and unrealistic argument. Pretty much nobody is going to do that knowingly and willingly unless he has something to prove.

I think you would be VERY surprised at how many casual and new players spending 20-40 hours on the campaign and are feeling somewhat fulfilled with that, and don't really have that much desire to venture far into the endgame. And that's a TOTALLY legit way of playing the game, even though it doesn't seem like some people in here agree with that.

It's all about "if's" and "want's". IF you WANT to craft X, you DO need Y. IF you WANT to beat Z, you'll probably have to trade. IF you WANT to farm 5000 Simulacrums, you'll have to trade. SSF shows us that trade is absolutely not a requirement for everyone. Trade league shows us that crafting isn't a requirement for everyone.

Should we have access to everything we want? Well, trade lets us have that access. If we would have that access without trade, trade wouldn't be a thing.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:

I think you would be VERY surprised at how many casual and new players spending 20-40 hours on the campaign and are feeling somewhat fulfilled with that

Hmm please do tell, how many? Apparently it's a shocking number you have to cause us to be "VERY surprised"
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jun 13, 2023, 3:17:54 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Hmm please do tell, how many?

I think I started the sentence with "I think". What do you think?

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Hmm please do tell, how many?

I think I started the sentence with "I think". What do you think?

I think we both have no idea at all.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Yeah, that's why I used "I think". I think that made it pretty clear that I do not know. Sorry if that was unclear. I'm basing my "I think" on what I see on the forums, and what I experience in my guild and elsewhere in-game.

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Yeah, that's why I used "I think". I think that made it pretty clear that I do not know. Sorry if that was unclear. I'm basing my "I think" on what I see on the forums, and what I experience in my guild and elsewhere in-game.

Ok I dont want to belabor the point, truly. To say to someone else, that they would be very surprised about an amount you don't actually know, is a super weird way to communicate quantity. In fact I'm not sure what you said actually makes sense given that explanation. But whatever. I can move on.
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Ok I dont want to belabor the point, truly. To say to someone else, that they would be very surprised about an amount you don't actually know, is a super weird way to communicate quantity. In fact I'm not sure what you said actually makes sense given that explanation. But whatever. I can move on.

It's quite easy, really: Based on my experiences, I suspect that the number is much higher than he thinks it is, and therefore, I think he would be surprised about the number.

It's comparable to your doomsday suspicions regarding the 3.22 league numbers. You suspect they will be very ugly, but I think you would (will) be surprised about how 'normal' they will be.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

It's quite easy, really: Based on my experiences, I suspect that the number is much higher than he thinks it is, and therefore, I think he would be surprised about the number.

It's comparable to your doomsday suspicions regarding the 3.22 league numbers. You suspect they will be very ugly, but I think you would (will) be surprised about how 'normal' they will be.

Perhaps, but at least then there will be data points to reflect on, and not soley suspicions. I concede perhaps this is just my personal hangup on numbers and data points. For example, when I look at retention numbers, percentage of players that make it to maps, steam achievements on game milestones, etc... I feel like some conclusions, even without a full picture, have some basic logic attached to them. That versus a gut feeling or anecdote that may not exactly translate to another player.
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
For example, when I look at retention numbers, percentage of players that make it to maps, steam achievements on game milestones, etc... I feel like some conclusions, even without a full picture, have some basic logic attached to them. That versus a gut feeling or anecdote that may not exactly translate to another player.

Sure, and when we don't have those numbers, it's totally OK to speculate. I don't really think "I think"-sentences have to be logic. I think a certain country starting with an R would be better off without a certain leader starting with a P, but I actually have NO clue, because the grass is absolutely not always greener on the other side.

How many of players do reach maps, BTW? And how many of those that do not, returns league after league?
"
Phrazz wrote:
I'm basing my "I think" on what I see on the forums, and what I experience in my guild and elsewhere in-game.

I mean, based on the forums we already know that most people do in fact not play the way you are suggesting here. If they did, this topic wouldn't exist to begin with to complain about them not doing that.

Also just as a reminder, this topic isn't about people stopping after the campaign. That's just a new goalpost you set up to somehow make your argument work.
The topic is about people playing this game and enjoying it while not using any outside resources. And i certainly don't think i'd be suprised about that number. People with a somewhat working brain will do some research if they run into issues and this game will provide them with plenty of those. Like, the moment a guy checks the wiki or takes a look into the forum he falls out of the category. We are talking about a very niche an specific case here. Between doing 2 minute google research and doing trial and error ingame for god knows how long to solve a given issue... it should be obvious to anyone really how people will act when faced with that choice.

As for the number of people stopping after the campaign, we actually have a pretty good grasp on that using steam achievements so again, no suprises there.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Jun 13, 2023, 4:29:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info