What should PoE 2 avoid in order to beat Diablo 4. Opinions ?

"

-it should avoid forgetting where it came from and how it got here

-it should avoid dumbing down mechanics instead of adding simpler mechanics for those who would prefer them as an option.

-It came from Diablo as a rip off. Never forget that indeed.

-Yet players cry en-mass every league that leaving the map to do a mechanic is too exhausting and boring, leaning ever more into dumb mechanics that go zoom zoom.
"
Z3RoNightMare wrote:
"

-it should avoid dumbing down mechanics instead of adding simpler mechanics for those who would prefer them as an option.

-Yet players cry en-mass every league that leaving the map to do a mechanic is too exhausting and boring, leaning ever more into dumb mechanics that go zoom zoom.

- Considering how crappy D3, Immoral, and D4 are, I'd say PoE continues to not only be a spiritual successor to D2, but also surpassing it in every way. Yes it continues to remain stuck in the past with questionable features like no automated trade, the need to ID items, and portal scrolls, but it still lives up to the standards set by D2.

- Can't argue with the second point. I love complex league mechanics, which apparently puts me in the minority, considering GGG keeps catering to simplistic speed freaks who just want yet another new flavor of Breach. We need more Betrayal, Blight, Synthesis, Harvest, and Sanctum leagues.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
Last edited by Pizzarugi on Jun 6, 2023, 2:01:52 PM
@Pizzarugi,
So his final words are (I went and checked) "What are you? No... you cannot be... I will... not...". Sure, toon follow-ups afterwards are then different. Can't say I'm much of a ranger person, I tend to go Juggs where he says "to live too long is to live in pain" (A bit of Karui justification for a spot of murder?). Interesting you interpreted all that/filled in the blanks as death coming for him anyway, can't say for sure that's wrong of course, but I really don't see Fairgraves forgetting to check the allflame's lit (or not realising it's out) before quaffing his live or die juice. Lantern didn't blow itself out, and we're the only one's there. I feel the take away of our toon having held a grudge is a perfectly reasonable interpretation...
"
Mezbanine wrote:
@Pizzarugi,
So his final words are (I went and checked) "What are you? No... you cannot be... I will... not...". Sure, toon follow-ups afterwards are then different. Can't say I'm much of a ranger person, I tend to go Juggs where he says "to live too long is to live in pain" (A bit of Karui justification for a spot of murder?). Interesting you interpreted all that/filled in the blanks as death coming for him anyway, can't say for sure that's wrong of course, but I really don't see Fairgraves forgetting to check the allflame's lit (or not realising it's out) before quaffing his live or die juice. Lantern didn't blow itself out, and we're the only one's there. I feel the take away of our toon having held a grudge is a perfectly reasonable interpretation...

The person Fairgraves was referring to likely has to be death. Bear in mind the purpose of the decanter spiritus, the item he also has you retrieve, was previously used by Malachai in order to have strange experiences which likely assisted in his thaumaturgical experiments. There's good reason to believe that Fairgraves was seeing someone, or something, coming for him as he was literally dying from the plum juice.

It's not that he didn't check if the Allflame had gone out. What likely happened was that it went out after drinking the juice. Going by Fairgraves's own understanding of the artifact, it consumes life to create life which is why he tried to kill you when returning it to him. Who's to say the Allflame knows a legitimate sacrificed life and not trickery, which was something he tried? In order to give life to one person, it needs the life of the other, so it wouldn't work if you tried to take your own life to give it back to you. He killed himself as an attempt to cheat around the Allflame's power limitations, but in doing so, caused it to go out.

All of this is to say there's still nothing in any of his dialogue, or remarks from the exiles, that suggest sabotage.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
Last edited by Pizzarugi on Jun 6, 2023, 3:51:23 PM
"
Pizzarugi wrote:
"
Z3RoNightMare wrote:
"

- Considering how crappy D3, Immoral, and D4 are, I'd say PoE continues to not only be a spiritual successor to D2, but also surpassing it in every way. Yes it continues to remain stuck in the past with questionable features like no automated trade, the need to ID items, and portal scrolls, but it still lives up to the standards set by D2.

- Can't argue with the second point. I love complex league mechanics, which apparently puts me in the minority, considering GGG keeps catering to simplistic speed freaks who just want yet another new flavor of Breach. We need more Betrayal, Blight, Synthesis, Harvest, and Sanctum leagues.

Fully agree, when D2R came on I was so excited because I could play it with modern graphics, but it wasn't long before I found D2R lacking on multiple fronts. Only after spending good month of modding D2R I realized I'm trying to make it more like PoE, so I re-installed PoE and lost my life once again.

"
WaterDropy wrote:

Cant think of anything else right now but please PoE, please please dont mess it up like they did :( . If anyone else have other opinions i would love to hear them.

Wasn't PoE success due to how Blizzard handled the franchise to begin with? I don't think we have anything to worry about.
Last edited by AintCare on Jun 6, 2023, 7:43:58 PM
"
igloo15 wrote:

Town's should be towns. This is a criticism I have of Diablo as well (Haven't played D4). When I enter a town I want it to feel like a town/settlement. Not a campsite with 5-6 people.

Hard disagree here....the point of having the small "towns" or campsites is that there simply aren't "towns" that exist in the world. And that's perfectly fine. There are so few people that exist in the world of PoE that it wouldn't make sense to have a fully fleshed out town or city that just all of a sudden pops up.

Same with Diablo: demons run rampant and kill tons of people. There are few actual towny towns because for the most part its a post-apocalyptic setting.

By criticizing the lack of fleshed out towns, you appear to miss the entire setting of the games you are describing lol.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Jun 6, 2023, 9:14:46 PM
Yeah no.. I don't want to see PoE head into the direction of mmo. The "town" hub shouldn't be needed at all.
having devs that UNDERSTAND the game properly is a huge step.

the way they handled the level 100 hardcore race really doesnt sit well with me.

not realizing how much benefit players get from getting to play many hours of the game before launch is HUGE even when their character progression is reset.

i really facepalmed seeing the dev's blindness to this.

many streamers handed the solution on a silver platter.

delay the race. let everyone have time to strategize.

FUCK THAT.

they proceed to disqualify all the people who had closed early access.

sure it affects FEW people. but its so fucking tone deaf.

also theres nothing that will stop the banned players from selling coaching OR race services.

their devs have seemed very community responsive previously. i see a lot of passion. but the way they handled the entire issue really makes me doubt that they have the caliber to keep the game balanced and do the best thing for the community.
[Removed by Support]
@Pizzaragi
"Who's to say the Allflame knows a legitimate sacrificed life and not trickery, which was something he tried? In order to give life to one person, it needs the life of the other, so it wouldn't work if you tried to take your own life to give it back to you. He killed himself as an attempt to cheat around the Allflame's power limitations, but in doing so, caused it to go out."

Heh, I like it, and will consider this next time I'm listening to his death throws at the docks (though gotta say, whichever interpretation we go with, there's certainly 'plot' to be found in POE either way, which was the point of the original comment :)
If OP is even still reading these responses, I'd love to know what they mean by "beating" Diablo 4 because as it's written, the question they posed makes zero sense to me.

If "beating" Diablo 4 means getting the most players, obviously D4 is going to win. There's just no possibility of competition there; leaving comparisons of the games themselves completely out of it, Diablo 4 has a marketing budget similar to the entire net value of Grinding Gear Games. They've been running multiple different commercials on TV for the last 3-4 months, they've been doing press junkets, they've been hiring streamers to promote the game in dozens of different languages. Activision is putting some serious money into this, and it's going to move a lot of copies regardless of the game's actual quality.

If "beating" Diablo 4 means making the most money, see the above paragraph. It's a game which costs (at least) $70 USD, with in-game MTX, and multiple paid expansions planned. It's very hard for me to imagine that D4 won't eventually sell at least as many total copies as Witcher 3 (50 million) but let's assume a worst-case scenario for Blizzard, which is that D4 only sells the 30 million copies they got from Diablo 3 and literally nobody buys in-game MTX or a single expansion. That's still over two billion US Dollars in sales, which puts Blizzard completely outside of competition with mid-sized game studios and into the same league as smaller countries.

Now, conversely, if "beating" Diablo 4 means "remaining more popular with the PoE core audience," it would be nearly impossible for PoE to LOSE. Diablo 4 is, in a very literal sense, not competition for Path of Exile. It was very clearly never intended to be. Having played a decent amount of D4, I'd honestly say it feels a lot more like Blizzard is taking aim at FF14 here. D4 is still, technically, an ARPG, but the MMO elements are by far the strongest aspects of the game and the only thing standing in the way of it being a full-fledged MMO is some way to band multiple different parties together to take down strongholds, map events, and world bosses.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info