Blizzard's comeback, D4 scoring high.

Have to admit i was a bit surprised this morning, was not expecting Diablo 4 to get these high scores, several reviewers are giving it topscores, metascores seems to be around 9 at this time.

https://twitter.com/GermanStrands/status/1663581547495055360

D4 is being praised by these reviewers as highly addictive and with polished endgame systems in a dark and spectacular to behold setting.

What will this mean for GGG and PoE2? I hope for solid competition in the next gen arpg war, so in a way i'm happy Diablo 4 is doing well, but on the other hand i'm a bit concerned, what do you think?
Last edited by wierdzodi on May 31, 2023, 2:00:55 AM
Last bumped on Jun 13, 2023, 9:22:15 AM
Competition in the market is good.
That being said I'm not buying diablo4 for 70€. Maybe some day when it goes on sale
Same here, not paying them 70 euro out of principle, maybe in 2-3 years.

Surprised at the high marks overall, but the reviews were made for the campaign, polish and graphics, not the endgame and itemization which is by far the most interesting aspect for me. Also I wonder how many of those were paid reviews.

The casuals will FLOCK to it tho, curious on ggg's move now.
Second-class poe gamer
Last edited by pr13st on May 31, 2023, 5:55:01 AM
"
pr13st wrote:

Surprised at the high marks overall, but the reviews were made for the campaign, polish and graphics, not the endgame and itemization which is by far the most interesting aspect for me.

Exactly, I couldn't see any situation where it wouldn't score highly unless it was a massive dumpster fire which is quite clearly not the case.

With the regards to the price & endgame, even if I only get 20 hours out of it per season which is about what I get out of a D3 season it's still the same cost as a night down the pub or a reasonable meal + drinks, I'll take that.
You were surprised? Diablo always does a nice campaign. Let's see the endgame later. hoho
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Last edited by xPiranha on May 31, 2023, 7:32:34 AM
"
pr13st wrote:
Same here, not paying them 70 euro out of principle, maybe in 2-3 years.

Surprised at the high marks overall, but the reviews were made for the campaign, polish and graphics, not the endgame and itemization which is by far the most interesting aspect for me. Also I wonder how many of those were paid reviews

Actually you guys are wrong, it is not the campaign getting the praise but ''endgame systems''.

This verdict from IGN summarizes what most of them are writing.

"
Diablo 4 is a stunning sequel with near perfect endgame and progression design that makes it absolutely excruciating to put down.

The story is a pretty big disappointment despite still being a noticeable improvement over Diablo 3 and there are some annoying bugs that need squashing, but the combat, the loot game, and both the sights and sounds of this world are impressive enough to smooth over those rough edges. Diablo 4 takes the strategy of refining things the series already did so well rather than giving it a more substantial overhaul, and that careful and reverent path has shaped this massive sequel into one of the most polished ARPGs ever created, which makes slicing through the legions of the damned a hell of a good time.

"
RandallPOE wrote:
With the regards to the price & endgame, even if I only get 20 hours out of it per season which is about what I get out of a D3 season it's still the same cost as a night down the pub or a reasonable meal + drinks, I'll take that.

According to developers, Diablo 4's seasons are designed to introduce ''very tough to defeat'' endgame bosses( i suppose they were inspired by the Uber boss models of PoE in the very late game map grind)

That makes sense, D4 is a live service game unlike D3, people underestime the incentive monetization can bring when it comes to content creation, i do expect Blizzard to challenge GGG and more time consuming arpgs games when it comes to season endgame.

Last edited by wierdzodi on May 31, 2023, 9:21:39 AM
D4 is going to be different things for different people. The good news here is that it almost universally scored high.

The thing I was most interested in was the compilation score, after everything was said and done. I was a tad concerned of the "Blizzard Effect", or perhaps even a case of Act1 polish, but then it trails off. That doesnt appear to be the case at all.

For endgame, if we are comparing to to say, PoE, it likely won't hit those same expectations. And quite frankly how could it at launch? Talk to me about endgame after a couple years and multiple seasons under their belt. They even highlighted that D4 isn't supposed to be played forever. You will finish at some point. (Maybe you reroll a class)

Anyways this is the best final marketing the D4 team could have hoped for. People waiting for reviews have many dozens to go through, and folks like me that havent had a taste past the beta showings, are relieved the rest of the game is just as polished. This launch is going to be absurdly big.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on May 31, 2023, 9:19:26 AM
"
wierdzodi wrote:

This verdict from IGN summarizes what most of them are writing.

The IGN reviewers are so bad they are practically memes at this point, there are many examples but the ones that stuck with me are exactly PoE's review a few years ago, redfall gameplay, just zero confidence.

HOWEVER I noticed that more reviewers mentioned how good the endgame is, most noticealby fextralife, who then proceeds to say he didn't spend that much time in end-game (!!). Paid review much?

Hot-take, D4 will be a beautiful polished turd. Time will tell of course.
Second-class poe gamer
Wait someone actually trusts these garbage websites and their garbage reviews?

They havent had time to know if the endgame is actually any good over time. What a laugh.

All that said I truly do hope its a good game though.
Such ratings always go after story and graphic game design rather than the more important stuff like endgame.
Not to mention that the websites go after your the opinion of your so called "celebrity" streamer and their biased sponsorship "opinion"
Big streamer xy has a sponsorship and plays the game to advertise it. said streamer acts all hyped while he doesn't enjoy the game that much. Website z looks at streamer xy and gives a game a 10/10 cause biased on the streamers scripted feedback to a game.

The story is somewhat decent for blizzards standards but not as good as a Square enix title.
A good story and somewhat up to date graphics ain't the only important things for a good game tho. Lacking endgame and gameplay diversity are the weakness of the game which makes the $70 pricing more than unreasonable. It's almost like they try to sell a unfinished and rushed product which is not really surprising at all if you look at all the other games blizzard failed with during the last couple of years.

$40-$50 would be more than appropriate for the little few hours of some story.
Not to mention that further "larger" content patches probably cost another 50-70 bucks. solely a pure cash grab even with the somewhat decent story. Even decade old rolepay games give you more gameplay, story and content with the same amount of decent lore for a quarter or even less of the price.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on May 31, 2023, 4:49:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info