Crucible Fan Art Competition Winners

I would put "Gifts Bestowed by the Giants by kari000" in #1 for sure.

Great works ppl
It is very difficult to participate and hope to get at least in the runners up, if it is not clear how the work is evaluated.
Judging by the results of this competition, it is not enough to draw excellently to take the highest places, it is enough to take 5 ready-made references and combine them in Photoshop to get the top 4.
But at the same time, it’s rather carelessly to add one minor detail so that the absurd entry in 11th place begins to be considered suitable for the topic of the competition.
And yet there are plenty of good works out there.
Here's how to understand it? I didn't create a masterpiece, but that doesn't mean I didn't try. And I didn’t literally redraw ready-made references, I didn’t get hung up on sticking everything with lava and Crucible trees. I won’t be surprised if I don’t even end up in the runners up, because there are probably works left that will be rated higher, just about 10 of those that were previously in highlights.

It's just disappointing, and I don't want to participate where there are 30 participants from a community of many thousands. This is probably one of the reasons why there is no Hideout competition for the second year already.
my hideouts - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3228515
Last edited by moonretealoud on May 29, 2023, 1:33:30 AM
"
moonretealoud wrote:
It is very difficult to participate and hope to get at least in the runners up, if it is not clear how the work is evaluated.
Judging by the results of this competition, it is not enough to draw excellently to take the highest places, it is enough to take 5 ready-made references and combine them in Photoshop to get the top 4.

As another artist who didn't make top 20 after putting in a lot of time and effort, I can sympathize with feeling disappointed. I'd also that agree a description of the judging criteria would be helpful.

That said, there were a lot of great entries, and I don't feel it's right to put down other artists who clearly also put a lot of effort into their pieces.

Good work on your entry. It had a fun, whimsical energy to it.
"
Gloomtooth wrote:
"
moonretealoud wrote:

As another artist who didn't make top 20 after putting in a lot of time and effort, I can sympathize with feeling disappointed. I'd also that agree a description of the judging criteria would be helpful.

That said, there were a lot of great entries, and I don't feel it's right to put down other artists who clearly also put a lot of effort into their pieces.

Good work on your entry. It had a fun, whimsical energy to it.

I have no complaints about the artists, but only to the fact that, given the place they took, we did not know all the rules of the competition.
my hideouts - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3228515
Oh wooooot!! I've never placed this high in a fanart compeition before!! THANK YOU! <3 Such amazing entries all around!

*high-five to lolozori!*
My fanworks thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2868617
My hideout showcase thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3077898

AI "art" isn't art, it's theft.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
Congrats to all the winners!

Special kudos to Natilo and lolozori, my fav community artists, for consistently placing in these things! ♥

It's been said before but maaaan it would suck to have to pick winners from all the submissions, so much talent!!!

This made me smile! <3 Thanks mate!
My fanworks thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2868617
My hideout showcase thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3077898

AI "art" isn't art, it's theft.
Last edited by Natilo on May 29, 2023, 3:17:04 AM
Natilo's work is number one for me. Presents something that Crucible league added, the scene is a known place, items on the character actually make up a build, the whole thing is unique and with vibrant colors. I don't like the heavy smudge-like brushes that people usually use, that's why this is like a breath of fresh air to me.

I suppose the criteria put more emphasis on the league's theme and the game's established paintbrush-like art.
"
moonretealoud wrote:
But at the same time, it’s rather carelessly to add one minor detail so that the absurd entry in 11th place begins to be considered suitable for the topic of the competition.
And yet there are plenty of good works out there.
Here's how to understand it? I didn't create a masterpiece, but that doesn't mean I didn't try. And I didn’t literally redraw ready-made references, I didn’t get hung up on sticking everything with lava and Crucible trees. I won’t be surprised if I don’t even end up in the runners up, because there are probably works left that will be rated higher, just about 10 of those that were previously in highlights.

It's just disappointing, and I don't want to participate where there are 30 participants from a community of many thousands. This is probably one of the reasons why there is no Hideout competition for the second year already.

I thought I had a fair chance of winning myself, but didn't even get a runner up, so I share in your disappointment, though I am quite used to it. Despite the fact that I'm literally an illustrator and do this for a living, my entries in art contests are almost always ignored. I guess the judges like what they like and mine (or me) is not it.

To be a fly on the wall during the judging would be so beneficial because then I could get some actual critical feedback, but what can you do. Art is to a large degree subjective, so we have to let the judges choose their winners regardless of criteria and be satisfied with it, even if we would choose different ourselves.

I just hope you won't let it get you down. Continue to create your art. As long as YOU like the result, then allow yourself to feel good about it. I've learned not to let other people and external situations determine my sense of worth and happiness.
Art Videos: www.YouTube.com/RoxaneLapa
PoE Fan Art Entry: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3378532/page/10#p24998980
Nice Job For All You Guys!
"
51R3N wrote:
I thought I had a fair chance of winning myself, but didn't even get a runner up, so I share in your disappointment, though I am quite used to it. Despite the fact that I'm literally an illustrator and do this for a living, my entries in art contests are almost always ignored. I guess the judges like what they like and mine (or me) is not it.

Hey! I enjoyed your piece. The cool palette was a nice contrast from all of the reds and oranges we saw in this competition. You also put an impressive amount of detail into the background. I especially like the texturing you did on the trees. The lines have a sketchy aesthetic, but still feel descriptive, which I appreciate. I suppose maybe they were just looking to showcase different aspects of Crucible with the winners.

Anyway, they said they'll "award runners-up in a follow-up post later this week," so I believe we still have a shot at that. Good luck, hope we both make it in. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info