[3.22] Cheapbunny's Self-Cast Crit Hexblast Impending Doom Assassin | The Felbog Fang

Removal of Anomalous Impending Doom Support in 3.23 makes this build wouldn't work without finding other sources of reduced skill duration, maybe newly transfigured gem could help, not updating this guide until we got more information.

Updated to 3.22 - Trial of The Ancestors League
- Removal of Crucible skill tree on weapons
- Added POB for 3.22, no change to the build

Introduction
This is my third build in Crucible league, I decided to respec my failed Poison Pestilent Strike Assassin into this when I stumbled across "The Felbog Fang" amulet. Because the character was already level 90+ when I respec, I actually don't have much to share about leveling for this build unfortunately.

This build has surprisingly good damage, can take down some ubers without much issue, and only cost me 15-20 divs. It also has decent defensive layers, like decent ehp/cap chaos res/cap spell supress/leech+regen/ghost dance/freeze+shatter. However this build does not clear super fast, there is a slight delay in dealing damage, as you need to wait despair to expire to trigger impending doom or cast Hexblast to trigger it.

I definitely had a (Hex)blast playing this build, hope you enjoy the build/guide.

Build Thought
Spoiler

The build idea started with the unique amulet The Felbog Fang.

This amulet gives a lot of bonus, with conditions of applied curse being closed to expired. So we will need a skill that deal damage at the end of a curse to fully utilize the bonuses from the amulet. Yes, you guess it right, they are Impending Doom & Hexblast.

Because they are both chaos spell, we will use despair to trigger the bonuses and damage.

Despair has base duration of 12seconds, how to gain the bonuses from amulet almost instantly?
Spoiler

The idea is to reduce Despair curse duration to below 1 second.

1. Anomalous Impending Doom reduce supported curse duration by 40%

2. Timeclasp unique ring reduce skill effect duration by 20%

3. Reduce skill duration cluster on passive skill tree, reduce 25% skill effect duration

4. 20/20 Less Duration Support

With all the above, Despair duration can be reduced to 0.75seconds, which mean we can get all the bonuses 0.56 (0.75 x 0.75) seconds after casting Despair.

The setup is done, we can get more curse effect from other source
Spoiler

1. Curse Effect Cluster and Mastery

2. Crucible Weapon Passive (No longer available)

3. Despair quality

Together with the curse bonus from "The Felbog Fang", we got total 120% increase in curse effect for Despair, which is huge because -chaos resistance is hard to get.

Why Assassin?
Spoiler
Hexblast has the one of the lowest base crit chance in the game (4%), Assassin's Ascendancy gives base crit bonus which helps a lot. Occultist would be a good alternative, it has better clear due to explosion. But I went for Assassin for more damage scaling.

Why Low Life/Hyrbid?
Spoiler

There is no good damage aura for chaos spell, especially when Hexblast is already able to apply maximum shock effect to all enemy (skitterbot is not an option), so I decided to use Petrified Blood to stay low life and get 30% more spell damage from Pain Attuinment.

Besides, Petrified Blood/Low life/Hybrid has been buffed quite a lot due to Mastery change in Patch 3.21, it has become a very viable option.

Build Mechanic
Spoiler

Hexblast Cast Time
Spoiler

In my setup, Despair duration is 0.75 seconds and full effect after 0.56 seconds, so Hexblast needs to be able to deal damage between 0.56~0.75 seconds after casting Despair.

I find the cast time sweet spot for Hexblast is between 0.6~0.63 seconds, I suggest to keep Hexblast cast time in that range.
My Hexblast cast time is sitting at 0.62 seconds.

Defenses used in this build
Spoiler

1. Decent evasion rating (9k before flask)

2. Around 6.5k+ Ehp (Hybrid Life+ES, Corrupted Soul from Belt)

3. 75% Chaos Resis

4. 100% spell suppression cap

5. Ghost Dance

6. Life Leech (from gloves implicit) + Energy Shield leech (Passive tree)

7. Freeze + Shatter

8. Steelskin (bind on LMB)

9. Progenesis flask and Wellspring of Creation Atlas Keystone
These two are great defenses that can be used on almost any build. This build has excessive damage, you should play with Wellspring of Creation Atlas Keystone all the time.

10. Pantheon
Soul of Araakali/Garukhan for mapping
Soul of Araakali/Ryslatha for bossing

Videos
Spoiler

Crucible League

T16 Hydra
https://youtu.be/dgdF1Kvh2jE

T16 Strand + Baran
https://youtu.be/pwUs-VfWTOc

The Hidden & Elderslayers Invitation
https://youtu.be/iEf6jtTk_Rg

Uber Shaper
https://youtu.be/R4234QJjQqs

Uber Maven
https://youtu.be/DjPCeAgGfDE

Uber Sirus
https://youtu.be/RM8783auhU8

Skill Tree (POB)
Spoiler

Kill all bandits.
17 Aug 2023 - [POE 3.22] 97 lvl skill tree (Latest)
https://pastebin.com/d6EZSxma

7 May 2023 - [POE 3.21] 97 lvl skill tree
https://pobb.in/XHBKxGQIPYjk

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Unstable Fusion -> Deadly Infusion -> Ambush and Assassinate -> Oppoturnistic

Gears
Spoiler

Weapon
Spoiler

Early/Mid Game
Spell/Spell Crit/Chaos damage rare wand

End Game

Crucible Passive:(No longer available)
Spoiler
10% reduced curse effect/Your Curses have 30% increased Effect if 50% of Curse Duration expired

Helmet
Spoiler

Early/Mid Game
Life/Resis Rare Helmet

End Game
Life/Support Gem deal more damage while on Low Life/+Level of Socketed AoE Gems/Resis Rare Helmet

(Need to have at least 1 Evasion on Helmet)
(Enchant : Hexblast deals 40% increased Damage)
(Eldritch Implicit : Increased Effect of Non-Damaging Ailments/Increased Damage per Power Charge)

Crafting Guide
Spoiler

1. Buy ilvl 85/86 EV based helmet with Hexblast enchant

2. Use Essence of Hysteria until you get good suffix

3. Eldritch craft prefix for good prefixes and one open prefix

4. Bench craft +1 Socketed AOE Gem

Body Armour
Spoiler

Early/Mid Game
Life/Resis Rare Body Armour

End Game
High EV & ES/Spell Suppression/Resis/NO LIFE MODIFER Rare Body Armour

(At least 10% spell suppression is needed to reach cap)
(You can save one point on passive tree if you can get 14%+ Spell Suppression)
(Eldritch Implicit : Zealotry has increased Aura Effect/Gain a Power Charge every 14 seconds (at least))

Gloves
Spoiler

Early/Mid Game
Life/Resis Rare Gloves

End Game
Life/Resis/Damage while Leeching Rare Gloves

(Need to have at least 1 Evasion on Gloves)
(Eldritch Implicit : Chaos Damage Leeched as Life/Chance to Unnerve Enemies for 4 seconds on Hit)

Boots
Spoiler

Early/Mid Game
Movement Speed/Life/Resis Rare Boots

End Game
Movement Speed/Life/Resis Rare Boots

(Need to have at least 1 Evasion on Boots)

Belt
Spoiler

Early/mid Game
Life/Resis Rare Belts

End Game

Amulet
Spoiler

Early/Mid Game
Life/Resis Rare Amulet

End Game

(Quality : Caster Modifiers)
(Anointment (Map Clear): Skittering Runes)
(Anointment (Single Target): Whispers of Doom)

Rings
Spoiler

Early/Mid Game
Life/Resis Rare Rings

End Game
Life/Resis Rare Ring + Timeclasp

(-20% Reduced Skill Effect Duration is needed on Timeclasp)

Jewels
Spoiler

Unique Jewel

Legion Jewel

(Need to make sure the jewel does not change the allocated notables)
(Dominus Variant : Increased Area Damage per 10 Devotion/Increased Effect of non-Damaging Ailments on Enemies)
(Slot in specific jewel socket, refers to POB)

Rare Jewels
Crit Mult/Spell Damage/Chaos Damage

Gem Link
Spoiler

6L Hexblast (Body Armour)
Spoiler

4L Despair/Impending Doom (Helmet)
Spoiler

4L Wither Totem
Spoiler

2L Lightning Warp
Spoiler

2L Steelskin
Spoiler

2L Auras (Reserved with Life)
Spoiler

1L Skills/Aura
Spoiler

My other build guide

Last edited by cheapbunny on Dec 4, 2023, 9:02:37 AM
Last bumped on Oct 1, 2023, 4:33:36 AM
Update
17 Aug 2023
- Removal of Crucible skill tree on weapons
- Updated POB skill tree to 3.22
Last edited by cheapbunny on Aug 17, 2023, 9:38:04 AM
this looks so cool!!!
How important is that Crucible tree on the wands ?

Those seems hard to get i belive...
"
anPoulsen wrote:
How important is that Crucible tree on the wands ?

Those seems hard to get i belive...

It is not too hard to get since I only look for 1 node, but build will work just fine with other nodes. I chose to use the curse effect crucible node just because it matches the The Felbog Fang amulet's theme and almost no one find this mod useful.
Last edited by cheapbunny on May 11, 2023, 12:23:30 PM
Enjoying it so far, leveled with it no problem...

Just had to deviate up to power charges first then right had side of tree then left

Lvl 89 so far, Mostly get killed due to positioning.

One question any alt quality gems worth swapping around too? or is just better to get the 21/20 superior?
Last edited by Lavacaverns on May 14, 2023, 8:17:04 PM
"
Lavacaverns wrote:

Just had to deviate up to power charges first then right had side of tree then left

One question any alt quality gems worth swapping around too? or is just better to get the 21/20 superior?

what did you level it with? which gear, skills? or you just immediately started with the hexes on level 24/28?
Last edited by Gadarel on May 15, 2023, 12:16:37 AM
I was no speed runner if that what u asking...

And this aint no league starter, going to need the Basic stuff. tabula, right Militant faith for inner conviction.
Once those power charges start pumping you good. Leveled straight to 68 with a life sprig and storm prison lol.

Just follow the skills used and add gems as you come into the level with em.

Mind you i had pre-bought crafted everything before starting the build. So i had everything ready to go on level to swap too.
Finding the 20% reduced is a bit meh atm, there usually is only one and its 150c+ so snipe that shit asap

Last edited by Lavacaverns on May 15, 2023, 2:15:12 AM
"
Lavacaverns wrote:

Superior is better, other alt quality does not do much, and we dont want too much cast speed on Hexblast as well.
I'm newer and wanted to start this build but had a question.

How were you able to get the window of opportunity without needing to link it to the rest of the tree? I see an aura over Magebane but not sure how it works.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info