Alpha readers for Blackcloak sequel wanted (cover art added to OP)

Crosspost from the facebook page (which I resurrected indelicately after 5 years of nothing):

"It's like a warm hug from an old friend who then stabs you in the back."

My first reader's take on "Gildenhammer: The Beating of her Heart". Or, as she prefers to look at it, "Book 1 was like Charan posting on that subreddit 'Am I The Asshole?' (AITA), and Book 2 is his older sister responding 'Everyone Sucks Here' (ESH)."

Two very accurate and yet surprising observations. This is why I write.

---

She also agrees flat-out book 2 is better than book 1. I'm really proud of it in ways I couldn't be of the first because it was the first. I had no real point of reference or comparison. A second book isn't a fluke and if it's better than the first, it's validation that the first's shortcomings were not mistakes but lessons learned.

Xxjanie: I am so glad you are interested! I recall you gave the first a shot but wasn't sure that'd translate into an active desire for more. I have it on good authority this is a satisfying follow-on and honestly that's all I really wanted to provide. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 12, 2023, 1:02:32 AM
I don't think I'm suitable, but congrats on finishing your book! :)
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
Many thanks, many thanks!

---

Have been working with my old pal who did the cover for the first -- the second is looking pretty damn perfect imo. I imagine a kindle version will be ready any day now. Not of the book itself -- still waiting on feedback there. UU, have been away from PC but today I will make one last edit and wing a copy your way.

I suspect I will be making book 1 free for a while after 2's launch. Seems easy enough to do with Amazon (sadly, what isn't? Oh yeah, taking humane pee breaks).

As a distraction, I have started reading the alternate history series Temeraire by Naomi Novik. It's pretty slick but absolutely more "history" than "alternate" which is fine by me but I wonder if anyone expecting a lightweight 'dragonlance' style experience might be left a bit wanting. I'm getting through book 1 quite quickly. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Up to page 196 last night, literally sat with my cuppa for 3.5 hours, totally absorbed.

edit - Book 2 is better than Book 1, no slag on B1 but man I am enjoying this.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Last edited by DoubleU on Feb 24, 2023, 3:11:26 PM
Oh man thanks! I worried so long and hard about whether or not I had the right to write from a girl's perspective but in the end I had to just give it a go and do some research. Infinitely glad my first reader is a woman who has probably read more fantasy and historical fiction than me. :)

My physical proof arrived a few days ago. It's not finished but holding tangible proof of your work for the first time never stops being a real Moment.

It is officially 425 pages not including appendix and preview of book 3. A tiny, weeny bit longer than book 1.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 25, 2023, 3:48:48 AM
Bad link on OP re: cover art :(
The cover look great ! (I can t see the link on first page but I guess this is what is posted on facebook).

Forum pvp
"
lolozori wrote:
The cover look great ! (I can t see the link on first page but I guess this is what is posted on facebook).

It is indeed. I'm so fortunate that my bestie of 35 years is a super talented graphic designer. We made a pact way back when that we'd help each other with our dream projects, so he does my covers, I do proofreading for his websites now and then.

And just on the DL, I've engaged a new local bookstore/art gallery to carry some of my books, just because I think it will sit nicely in a quirky, creative-as-all-hell space rather than a typical bookstore. I love how often one of you has bought my book, but instead of you reading it, it's been a friend or a neighbour or a co-worker who enjoys it. That's so gratifying for me, and tells me all I really need to do is get my book onto the right shelves, not necessarily a lot of them.

The cover designs I go with are so anti-pop it's not even funny. They're just weird and suggestive enough to be clearly 'not normal genre fiction' but nowhere near the massively overproduced pap you see for most fantasy covers these days. You'd never confuse my book covers for AI. ;)

"
DoubleU wrote:
Bad link on OP re: cover art :(

Yeah, turns out direct-linking to FB doesn't play nice. I've popped a low res version onto Imgur for now. :)

Thanks again for your effort and interest. It really helps. Really.
I wrote another book. It's better than the first one, and those who liked the first so far agree. Can't really ask for much more than that.
Took a quick look at the cover on FB, looks good man :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info