[3.19] f1rstborn's Shockwave Totem Inquisitor | League Start to End Game | 40M+ DPS | Bosser

Hello Exiles. In 3.17 I endeavored to find a build that could make use of brittle while giving me the mobility to learn and deal with the new bosses. I landed on Shockwave Totems due to the Divergent version giving free cold conversion. In addition, the build makes use of quite a few items common to the seismic trapper meta with what would be considered "dead stats", such as cast speed. This makes itemization options inexpensive and common.

NOTE: Several changes to the build in next few days, to include:
1. Dropping multiple totem support for DPS gain
2. Main Link color changes
3. Decoy Totem inclusion
4. Change of upgrade path and more.

As is tradition, feel free to leave any questions and comments here or join me on: Twitch!

Pros and Cons

+0 screen clutter. Very simple skill design and clarity allows you to focus on the fight.
+Totem playstyle allows for the best defense of all, offscreening.
+Tanky with high regeneration.
+[Mostly]1 hand playstyle.
+League start viable.
+Excellent Bosser

-No regen maps are not your friend.
-Totem playstyle not for everyone.
-Mid-tier Map speed.

3.19 Updates; Yea a nerf or two

1. Reservation mastery nerf combined with blessing nerf lost us 2 Auras (Determination and Purity of Fire). This affects physical mitigation and regen (due to RF)
2. Melding of the Flesh nerf sees us taking quite a bit more elemental Damage.
3. The biggest nerf is Brittle dropping from 15% to 6% base crit chance. This requires to change up the tree and Jewels to get back to 100% crit. That said, we need significantly less resist on jewels due to removing Melding and can gain stats/crit chance here.
4. New Hrimsorrows are god tier for early leveling.
5. Magnate is possible Best in Slot for the belt now.

TL/DR POB and Vid NAO!!
My current POB. Still evolving: https://pastebin.com/0cbj9Rpg
3.18 PoB: https://pastebin.com/SsGYD2EX
3.17 PoB: https://pastebin.com/Wi4ntWdF
[Make sure to use community fork]
Videos
Mapping Showcase
More Coming Soon.

Questions and Answers

Do you need Ashes of the Stars?

Negative

Prior to acquiring (or never if you prefer) we convert additional physical to cold using a combination of Hrimsorrow, Gloves, Rare gloves with temple mod cold convert, Eater of Worlds implicit and Cold Mastery for conversion.

I have 1EX what do?
This build is minimally viable at this stage so worry not. Invest in a tabula, Starter wand, Shaper shield and life/resist rares.

Why Galesight and not Secrets of Suffering

1. Galesight is far cheaper than The Interrogation or crafting a good Alternating Sceptre.
2. Galesight only converts chill to brittle allowing us to use lightning damage to proc shock 100% of the time due to our critical strike chance.

Do you need Astral Projector?

No you do not. In fact, in a league start scenario I suggest delaying Astral so that you can use your totems to taunt. This gives an extra layer of defense and can even taunt-lock some bosses.

What is the play style like?
Cast totems and watch mobs die. For bosses use Zealotry, Arcanist brand, and vaal skills...then cast totems and watch mobs die.

What about Polaric Devastation?

We do not freeze as we convert chill to brittle. This ring is useless to us.

Leveling Guide

Leveling Skills

Though I've seen it suggested numerous times, I am not a fan of Spark and prefer Stormblast Mine. If you like shocky spiders instead just sub that and Pierce (gained from Ranger start) out for the mine and controlled destruction early game, everything else stays the same.

1. Stormblast mine->Added Lightning Damage->Controlled Destruction
2. Orb of Storms->Added Lightning Damage->Controlled Destruction
3. Holy Flame Totem->Added Fire Damage
4. Flame Dash->Arcane Surge
5. Vitality. Herald of Ice. Steel Skin.

I use the above setup Until the first lab is down. Holy flame totem provides some decent extra damage, but the third button tends to be a bit much for some. Once I down the first lab, Ascend to Hierophant and take Pursuit of Faith I change to the following.

1. Shockwave Totem->Added Fire Damage->Physical to Lightning->Multiple Totems (at 38).
2. Flame Dash->Arcane Surge
3. Hatred. Steelskin.
4. Arcanist Brand->Purifying Flame->Elemental Weakness->Punishment

We want as much Elemental Conversion as possible to temporarily utilize Elemental Overload while leveling. This will carry you through Kitava.

Ascendancies
Though we will end up as an Inquisitor, a lot of it's damage potential is locked behind us achieving high critical strike. With the brittle nerf, this will take us longer than before. I suggest Starting Hierophant until 3rd lab.
1. Pursuit of Faith. The build will not feel comfortable with less than 3 totems. In addition, the placement speed gained is a huge QOL and survivability boost.
2. Ritual of Awakening. More damage and regeneration. Straight forward.

Here we will respec to Inquisitor. This costs 20 points, exactly what the in game quests give you, how convenient.

1. Sanctuary. Alone, this does not do much. In conjunction with Purifying Flame on Arcanist brand, this will give us more damage on single targets.
2. Pious Path. Curse effect reduction, 5% life regeneration and adds life regernation to ES regen as well.
3. Righteous Providence. Base Stats and increased crit.
4. Inevitable Judgement. Massive Damage. Period.

Leveling Tree
https://pobb.in/Tk3Uche6gSty

Detailed Gearing Section

Our uniques are pretty set in stone as we progress, so we rely on our rare spots to fill out Elemental and Chaos Resistances. Finally use your free jewel slots to fill in any remaining resistance or dexterity holes.
Helmet
League Start: Life>Resists
First Upgrade: Galesight
End Game: Shockwave Totems have 15% increased cast speed[enchant]

Amulet
Note: Annoint Charisma ASAP
League Start:Life>Level of Physical (or All) Skills>Cast Speed>Crit Multi>Hatred Effect>Resits>Dex for Gear
Ultra Luxury: Ashes of the Stars Amulet

Weapon
League Start:+1 to Level of all Physical Spells>Cast Speed>Critical Strike Multiplier
First Upgrade:+1 to level of all spell skills>+1 to level of all physical spells>Cast Speed>Critical Strike Multiplier>Cold as Extra Chaos
Ultra Luxury: +1 to level of all spell skills>+1 to level of all physical spells>Cast Speed>Critical Strike Multiplier>Increased Spell Damage>Increased Cold Damage

Shield
League Start:+1 to Maximum Totems>Life>Resists
First Upgrade:+1 to Maximum Totems>Socketed Gems have Reservation Efficiency>Life>Resists
Ultra Luxury: +1 to Maximum Totems>Socketed Gems have Reservation Efficiency>+1 to level of all physical spells>Life>Maximum Fire Resistance>Resists

Body Armour

League Start: Tabula Rasa
First Upgrade: Skin of the Loyal
Second Upgrade: Skin of the Lords
Ultra Luxury: Double Corrupted Skin of loyal with +1 Socketed Gems and +2 Socketed AoE Gems

Ring
League Start:Life>Resists>Dexterity
First Upgrade: 1 Astral Projector
End Game: Unset Ring with Life>Cast Speed>Strength>Resists>Dex

Gloves

League Start: Hrimsorrow
First Upgrade: Temple mod gloves with Eater Implicit for Cold Conversion>Life>Resists
Ultra Luxury (After Ashes): Life>Resists>Strength>Dex>Unnerve & Mark implicits

Belt
League Start: Life>Resists
First Upgrade: Darkness Enthroned with Life>Critical Multiplier>Resists Abyss Jewels
Ultra Luxury: The Magnate Double Corrupted with Hatred and Cast Speed

Boots
Goal: Movement>Life>Strength>Resists with Physical as Extra Lightning and Maximum Fire Resist Implicits

Flask choices
1. Life Flask to help our regen if we get low. Bleed removal mod is an excellent idea here.
2. Overflowing Challice. 40% increased damage and helps immensely with up time on other flasks. [Note] Bottled Faith can be used here for some extra damage, but we are already 100% crit so it is extremely cost inefficient.
3. Taste of Hate. Works as a mini Hatred Aura while also helping us with physical hits by converting them to cold damage.
4. Silver Flask. Pick up with Critical strike chance Suffix.
5. Granite Flask. Pick up with Cast speed suffix.

Cluster Jewels
We will use 3 identical 8 passive cluster jewels that have Battle Hardened for increased Armour and increased Damage; Force Multiplier for both increased and more damage; and Iron Breaker for increased Damage.

Gem Links
Damage 6L
Divergent Shockwave Totem>Empower>Multiple Totems>Lifetap>Increased Critical Damage>Concentrated Effect
Note: Before Empower uses Awakened Added Fire or Added Fire, depending on where you are in the league.

4L Arcanist Brand
Arcanist Brand>Punishment>(Anomalous)Assassin's Mark>(Divergent)Purifying Flame
Note: Purifying Flame is still useful before divergent as it spreads Consecrated Ground

3L Auras
Hatred. Purity of Elements. Zealotry. These should socketed in your shield with reduced reservation when acquired. We will switch from Purity of Elements to Determination once Ailments are addressed.

2L Vitality
Vitality>Arrogance

2L Flame Dash
Flame Dash(7)>Arcane Surge(1)

2L Molten Shell
CWDT(1)>Molten Shell(10)

Miscellaneous Slots

Herald of Purity. Straight damage buff once you have mana available.
(D)Vaal Righteous Fire. We run RF full time as soon as we pick up Pious Path. We use the Vaal version to burst down bosses.
Vaal Haste. We only use the vaal version for bossing.

Ascendancy | Bandits | Map Mods

1. Sanctuary. Will immediately increase bossing damage used with Purifying Flame
2. Pious Path. Once taken we can run Righteous Fire for more damage.
3. Righteous Providence. Lots of Critical strike Chance
4. Inevitable Judgement. Here it is boys, the reason we are a Inquisitor. This will put our damage over the moon.

Bandits:
Kill Them All

Map Mods to Avoid:

%Chance to avoid elemental ailments. This will hinder clear substantially by preventing brittle.

No/ %reduced regeneration. You can do it, but it will not be a comfortable experience.

Pantheon
Major: Soul of the Brine King. Stun lock sucks.
Minor: Soul of Gruthkul. Extra Physical Reduction.

Big Boy Upgrades

Timeless Jewel
For this build we will use Glorious Vanity in the Name of Doryani which gives us Corrupted Soul. Socket either near Templar start converting Eternal Youth, or at the top of the tree converting Doomsday. This will give us a healthy boost to our energy shield at the cost of some Net Regeneration (due to how righteous fire calculates). This difference in regen is completely countered by use of Melding of the Flesh later on.

Impossible Escape
This will be our last method to gain more reservation efficiency. We can take Supreme Ego to gain Charisma and a small node. Enabling Herald of Ash for an additional 6M dps.

Forbidden Jewels
I Initially suggested Ritual of Awakening here, but after discussing with Tatiantel2 I think Pursuit of Faith may be better. This node gives an additional totem (20% more damage) and a huge buff to Totem Placement Speed, a mod I ignored up until this point. Finally, Ritual of awakening jewels are 50ex while Pursuit of Faith is 50C.

Watcher's Eye
The goal mods here are Cast speed with Zealotry, Increased cold damage with Hatred and Chaos resistance while affected by Purity of Elements.

Bottled Faith
Used in the place of The Overflowing Chalice, this will bump our burst damage up significantly at the cost of flask charge generation while mapping.

My Current Gear with Notes

Helmet
Helmet is by the guide. Totem Cast speed would be 2.8% or 1.1M DPS increase.

Wand
Missing Prefix of increased cold damage for another 4.3% or 1.8M DPS

Shield
Would like to gain 3 to max fire resist here for 88 all. Could also potentially get +2 max all resist for 90 all. I am willing to lose the socketed gems have 30% increased reservation once I gain Enlighten level 4 as a glove mod. However I am not sure recombinators will go core. So I will avoid this until 3.19.

Rings

Can improve prefixes for additional survivability.

Body Armour
Gaining Iron Will here saved us 5 skill points in the guide, which we allocated to the "Discord Artisan" wheel. While we lost ~400EHP we gained more than 10% damage. A double Corrupted Skin of the Loyal with +1 Gems and +2 AoE would be better here, both defensively and offensively.

Amulet
The big chase item. Picked this up day 3 of league. Divining to 30% quality would gain 1.7% or ~700k DPS.

Gloves
Excellent gloves I picked up for literal peanuts. Could use Recombinators to gain Enlighten in this slot, but want to ensure these go core first.

Belt
I don't even know what to say, the usefulness of this build can't be overstated.

Boots
Can Improve max fire resist here to 2 (or potentially 3) to move towards 90 all.

Change log

6/10/2022 - Guide Published
6/14/2022 - Build Rebalanced against Chaos Damage | Glorious Vanity Added
6/14/2022 - Mapping Showcase Added
6/20/2022 - Updated PoB. Clarified my current items.
7/29/2022 - Updated Forbidden Flame/Flesh goals. Clarified my current items.
8/11/2022 - Initial update for 3.19
8/17/2022 - Leveling Guide Added.
Last edited by f1rstborn on Sep 3, 2022, 2:24:10 PM
Last bumped on Oct 3, 2022, 3:15:07 PM
What are you supposed to level with?
"
Hoondi wrote:
What are you supposed to level with?

I league started with orb of storms+storm blast mine. Switching to totem after the first lab. I went heirophant initially picking up pursuit of faith. After second lab i unspecced and went hierophant.

Note: leveling guide coming soon.
Spark is much better to level with than stormblast mine
"
PJ1985 wrote:
Spark is much better to level with than stormblast mine

I've not tried leveling with spark before. But would certaintly consider it.
Nice build!

What would you use before getting empower support?
"
Korinthian wrote:
Nice build!

What would you use before getting empower support?

Fire Damage Support (awakened helps with the level as well). Keeps the same link color and boosts damage quit a bit since we ignore all ele res.
Hey! Need some help if you got the time.

I followed a coc volatile dead build, and got to level 90, but the end game bosses are just not doable (barely doing any damage), and I'm planning to switch to this build since I wanna play a more "safe" build/totem build.
Do I follow your 3.18 tree or 3.17 tree? Seeing as you've done some extensive, and expensive upgrades xD

Also I currently have about 5-7 ex (after selling my gear) what would you recommend I get first?
Last edited by Bl0rk on Jun 20, 2022, 7:30:55 AM
"
Bl0rk wrote:

I followed a coc volatile dead build, and got to level 90, but the end game bosses are just not doable (barely doing any damage), and I'm planning to switch to this build since I wanna play a more "safe" build/totem build.
Do I follow your 3.18 tree or 3.17 tree? Seeing as you've done some extensive, and expensive upgrades xD

Also I currently have about 5-7 ex (after selling my gear) what would you recommend I get first?

To get started I'd pick up the following:
Galesight: 5C max
Skin of the Lords with a inert keystone (like Perfect Agony): 40C
Astral Projector: 10C
Darkness Enthroned: 10C
Forbidden Flame/Flesh (Ritual of Awakening): 200C for the pair
Taste of Hate: 10C
Atziri's promise: 1C
Divergent Shockwave Totem: 100C (Cannot believe how mucht his has taken off since this build release).
In total this is right at 2ex

Spend the remaining on rares as suggested by the guide. Biggest upgrade after this will be clusters and the wand.
"
f1rstborn wrote:
"
Bl0rk wrote:

To get started I'd pick up the following:
Galesight: 5C max
Skin of the Lords with a inert keystone (like Perfect Agony): 40C
Astral Projector: 10C
Darkness Enthroned: 10C
Forbidden Flame/Flesh (Ritual of Awakening): 200C for the pair
Taste of Hate: 10C
Atziri's promise: 1C
Divergent Shockwave Totem: 100C (Cannot believe how mucht his has taken off since this build release).
In total this is right at 2ex

Spend the remaining on rares as suggested by the guide. Biggest upgrade after this will be clusters and the wand.

Thank you so much for the reply! Switching now. Should I follow the 3.17 tree? or 3.18?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info