Controller Bug - Unable to pick up item

It appears as though my ability to select an item by name to pick up (that is have the 'A' button hover over it via Right Stick) is based on my proximity to the nameplate of the item, not the item's physical location on the ground.

While playing the game normally this wasn't a huge issue, except sometimes I could have 'A' show up on item nameplate, while I was unable to interact with it. I kind of naturally moved towards where I thought the item had dropped, while spamming the 'A' button on my controller, and it would eventually work and the item would be picked up.

However now I'm in maps, and sometimes I get loot explosions that cover my screen, even with my item filter turned on.

Today I'm opened a corrupted strongbox, and immediately afterwards I was attacked via the Intervention Betrayal mechanic. I fought and defeated all 3 attackers, and then selected my rewards.

Now I can't reach some of the rewards.

Example: the 3x Blacksmith's Whetstone or Orb of Chance at the bottom of the screen in this screenshot

If I walk down to them, the 'A' shows up as expected:

Trying to pick them up causes my character to turn back towards the top of the screen, like it wants to path up there. If I move in that direction, the targeted item naturally slides up to the Corsair Sword nameplate above the Blacksmith's Whetstone (the 'A' likes to follow / move towards things you're actively moving towards, which feels good and makes sense).

If I get too far from the Blacksmith's Whetstone nameplate, I am unable to use the right thumbstick to move the 'A' back over the item.

Expected Behaviour: the 'A' should only appear on items I am close enough to pick up without moving, and I should be able to freely move the 'A' between nameplates via the right stick as long as I'm close enough to the item on the ground, regardless of the nameplate position.

Expected Workarounds: with Keyboard/Mouse, I would normally hit 'Z' (iirc) to hide all items, and then press it to show them all again, causing all the nameplate positions to be reset to be close to their respective item positions on the ground. For some reason this key has been disabled in Controller mode and does not work. Please, please, please provide a hybrid mode of controller and keyboard/mouse. Some builds feel so much better playing with a controller and I'd love to be able to play them with a controller but do character management / inventory management with a keyboard/mouse.

Possible Improvement: have nameplates I'm too far from go slightly transparent or "fade out" a little bit. This will make it more obvious which items I can actually interact with via the controller, and which I need to move closer to.

Other Controller Ramblings: it's super weird how certain parts of the game still allow me to use keyboard/mouse but others don't. Here are some examples of quirkyness:

- If I have my inventory open, but the PoE window is not in focus, I can mouse over any item, or any gem in item, and read a pop-up like normal. If PoE is the active window I can only see what I've selected via the controller (the mouse no longer does anything, though it is visible and moveable). Ideally if I've moved the mouse last and haven't touched the controller, I'd love to be able to use the mouse to adjust inventory.

- The cosmetics screen is fully mouse/keyboard capable, though once you've used the mouse to manage anything the controller will think it's in a sub-menu for a specific item slot and you may need to hit 'B' to back out...probably the reason the item management menu is locked down.

- On the passives screen I can select a passive node with the controller to read it. Then I can still use the mouse to mouse-over passives and read their text (the controller selected one disappears). When I mouse-off the node, the controller selected description re-appears. _Exactly_ how I'd like everything else to function.

- Weird quirk because of this, if I start using the controller to move around the passives screen, the cursor disappears but still "exists" in that location. If I use the right thumb-stick to scroll around the passive tree, anytime a node appears under the invisible cursor it's text will pop up. As soon as I start using the controller again you should stop any mouse interaction (until I move the mouse again....if I use them both at the same time that's my own fault, no idea what to do then)

- If I zoom in on the passives screen and use the right thumbstick to travel so my selected node is off-screen, as soon as I move the left thumbstick to change the selected node I jump back to where I was. This is both good and bad, as it makes it hard to navigate the tree quickly in any respect. Would be nice if some crosshairs come up or similar in the middle of the screen, and anytime I move them over a node it automatically becomes my controller-selected node.

- On the passives screen I can still use the mouse to click and choose a node to activate. Though I can't remember if there is a way to lock it in without the controller.

- The Atlas view and the Atlas Passive views behave the same as the passive skill tree as far as I can tell.
Last bumped on Apr 19, 2024, 11:54:50 AM
I have this exact issue right now. I have seen a couple posts on it but no responses sadly...
With a controller you can press Right Trigger + Dpad Down to toggle showing nameplates (similar to 'z' key on keyboard)
Thankyou OP, I have every single gripe you mentioned with the current controller system. I would love a hybrid mode, I play on PC but prefer controller. I would happily use my mouse for inventory if I could.

Being unable to pick up items is very frustrating, I have many situations where I will pick up 30+ items, move them to the side, just so I can pick up items similar to your second screenshot.

Please look into this devs!
Last edited by greyscale1 on Jun 25, 2022, 8:46:54 PM
Still not fixed
still not fixed

cannot loot the maps at the top or the bottom, yet I'm stood right on them...if they added seemless mouse/kb to controller like D2R it wouldn't be an issue
Last edited by Goingawol on Sep 20, 2022, 6:36:05 PM
Still no fix? all I did was i changed the pick up key, and now I can't pick up anithing with the controller? I can't even reset to default.
"
superdreddie wrote:
With a controller you can press Right Trigger + Dpad Down to toggle showing nameplates (similar to 'z' key on keyboard)

this,

it's the same on pc: poe fucks up the location of item labels relative to the items, especially on uneven ground.

you need to hide and then show item labels to force the game to correct their positions as superdreddie described
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Still not fixed 3.20 LUL

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info