List of Client.exe command line arguments (parameters), launch options

This post is based on this thread but has been re-written attempting to merge what was in the old post with some of the options I found. If you know of any others, or there are any listed that do not work properly anymore, please feel free to let me know and I can get the content altered to match.

========================================

To change these options, you can usually right-click your Path of Exile shortcut, select Properties and then add the option after the Target: "%ProgramFiles%\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\Client.exe", after the quotes as shown:

"
Do not attempt to patch
--nopatch

If you add "--nopatch" to the end of your shortcut (without the quotes), does it still crash?

"
Do not preload art assets on startup
--nopreload

"
The login server port
-lp
--login-port

Usage:
-lp <port number> or --login-port <port number>

"
The patching server that should be patched from
-p
--patching-server

Usage:
-p <server> or --patching-server <server>

--patching-server pathofexile.com:3724

"
Override basic auth used for for patching content
-pa
--patching-auth

"
Before running wait for this process id to exit.
--prev-proc-id

Usage:
--prev-proc-id <process id>

"
Require that the user press the launch button in the patcher before entering game
--require-launch

"
Fail horribly
--fail

"
The number of generations to keep around when running garbage collection
-gc
--garbage-generations

Usage:
-gc <generations> or --garbage-generation <generations>

you can put -gc 2 at the end of your Path of Exile shortcut (Open the shortcut properties, and add a { -gc 2} after the last quotation mark). If this still doesn't help, try -gc 1. Doing this will increase load times between areas you have visited, and similar areas.

I get an error message and a crash after playing the game for a while.
EOUTOFMEMORY or Unable to Map File
This usually occurs when your game file runs out of ram, common on PCs with low ram or running 32bit versions of windows. Running the game with Texture Quality set to Medium usually fixes this, though having less than 4gb of ram will cause problems after changing areas a number of times. We will improve the memory recovery system in future.
You can also reduce the rate of these crashes slightly by adding -gc 2

That's the best temporary fix until we're able to solve memory fragmentation!

"
Disables the creation of the audio device
-ns
--nosound

Added a --nosound option to the client to turn off all sound.

"
Forces use of generic software audio device
-swa
--softwareaudio

Players getting BSODs due to using a Creative soundcard should now try adding --softwareaudio to the command-line of the game.

"
Will always use default settings set in the settings.cpp
-ud
--use-defaults
Last edited by Drakier on Apr 9, 2013, 11:14:52 AM
Last bumped on Oct 27, 2016, 4:16:43 PM
What does --nopreload do? I'm curious whether it would save memory when I have the game already loaded into a RAM drive, or whether it would cause it to lag a bit still.
Last edited by ionface on Jun 21, 2013, 5:21:32 AM
On my machine, PoE sits there grinding the disk for a minute or so at startup before the login screen appears. If I launch it with "--nopreload", the login screen appears in seconds.

I assume that means it'll take longer to move from zone to zone after the game is started, but not so much that I've actually noticed.
I can confirm that adding --nopreload speeds up initial load time a ton..

The downside is that it seems none of the effects are pre-loaded either. Meaning I get MASSIVE lag (like AMD/ATI users) when a new effect is used. This caused me to die a few times to Kole and other people.

I exited and turned it off immediately after those few deaths.

While it does make the load times much quicker, the downside of no pre-loaded effects isn't worth it.

YMMV
When I right click on my shortcut and select properties, the target is not in quotes. Should I add them? And also should I put a space between the last character before I put --[command]?
The quotes around target will only be there probably if there is a space in your path. The quotes are what the system uses to distinguish one parameter from the next.

As for adding a space, yes, you should add a space after the target and before (between) each parameter.
Ok, thank you very much!
Are there no command line options for graphical settings? I always found this useful in other games when i had some other resource-intensive things running in the background.
Something like -w -res800x600 -graphics:low would be useful (didn't test if there already is something like this, because guessing the right combination is... tedious).
"
wlfbck wrote:
Are there no command line options for graphical settings? I always found this useful in other games when i had some other resource-intensive things running in the background.
Something like -w -res800x600 -graphics:low would be useful (didn't test if there already is something like this, because guessing the right combination is... tedious).

The parameters listed are the only ones I could find and know about. I'm not aware of any graphics parameters. If you want to easily modify your graphics, I'd recommend just editing the production_Config.ini file. You can even make copies of it with different settings made and swap them with a batch script or something.

Good luck.
Sorry I'm a newb...
So I've Windows 7, I got this problem with audio exception, I've read the guide, I right-clicked to path of exile shortcut (this one on desktop and even that one .exe in the main folder of steam), selected properties and... I don't know what else do. I cannont find the line "target", or I don't know where exactely looking for it.
Please may someone kind and patient explane me how I could figure it out?
Thanks ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info