[3.20] Ice Shieldmaiden Scion Build

"
Obodongo wrote:

The reworked Heatshiver should be a blast for this build, don't you think? Basically doubling our damage again against frozen enemies.

I also wonder if Glacial Hammer could be replaced by the new Frozen Legion skill. Should be fun, hitting with a bunch of clones, every one of them dealing double damage. I'm gonna try to tinker with it as soon as all the quirks of Frozen Legion are discovered.

Yeah, Heatshiver is potentially a great damage bump. The biggest issue is losing mana reservation on the helmet, and accuracy. Not insurmountable problems to be sure, but they're there.

Haven't tried Frozen Legion at all, but I don't see why not. The jump from Glacial Hammer to Ice Crash requires very little tinkering after all, it should synergize well :)
"

In action, it looks something like this: https://youtu.be/cXgKbkFmI8Q

Hi man.
Tnx for the build.
On this video you used Tank or Hamvee?
"
KuKuTiK wrote:
"

In action, it looks something like this: https://youtu.be/cXgKbkFmI8Q

Hi man.
Tnx for the build.
On this video you used Tank or Hamvee?

That's the Humvee, does pretty well against most everything except the most juiced of juiced (in which case you want Tank).
Been using this build this league, quite interesting concept.

I found myself lacking in damage a lot of the time, but usually some closer look at the build made me find what I was missing. (Mainly the eldritch implicits, I think you should emphasize more HOW IMPORTANT they are).

I've been trying new things now, mainly trying to fit in a Forbidden Flame/Flesh pair to allocate the gladiator node on the ascendancy and also get the Berserker one for "free" 1% more damage and rage for aspd. Seems quite nice for now, have you considered that already?
"
Vallcrist wrote:
I found myself lacking in damage a lot of the time, but usually some closer look at the build made me find what I was missing. (Mainly the eldritch implicits, I think you should emphasize more HOW IMPORTANT they are).

Hm, that's a good point. With the nerf to curses, the eldritch implicits do take a more central role in the build DPS scaling. Thanks, I'll go add that up.

"
I've been trying new things now, mainly trying to fit in a Forbidden Flame/Flesh pair to allocate the gladiator node on the ascendancy and also get the Berserker one for "free" 1% more damage and rage for aspd. Seems quite nice for now, have you considered that already?

I have. The Tank configuration is too starved for jewel slots to really consider the Forbidden Flame/Flesh duo, the Humvee frees up two jewel slots cleanly with the addition of the second cluster, so that'd be the more obvious option. Also consider Raider - Frenzy on hit can be a great option for bossing, instead of relying on frenzy charges while in the presence of a unique enemy (they tend to go away with bosses that move a lot).

One thing to consider too is Impossible Escape. Allocate it on Hex Master and you have access to Breath of Rime, Heart of Ice, and Malicious intent. Not a bad trio.

It's a very tight tree, so tinkering with it has been tricky, to say the least :)
Hey, so this build looks like a ton of fun, im newer to POE (this is my first league) Im still working on he how to level thing for some of the cool builds im looking at. Any recommendations? If i missed it in the write up i do apologize
"
Squirellius wrote:
Hey, so this build looks like a ton of fun, im newer to POE (this is my first league) Im still working on he how to level thing for some of the cool builds im looking at. Any recommendations? If i missed it in the write up i do apologize

Welcome to PoE! If this is your first league, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as your first (or even second) character. While it is true that the build is relatively straightforward, it does have several moving parts, so it's straightforward mostly from the point of view of people familiar with the game. Scion, in general, is not the best class to start (IMO) because her thing is that she dips her toes into multiple different ascendancies from other classes, instead of doing one thing.

There's two schools of thought for people starting the game:

1. Do whatever you want. The first build you make is probably going to struggle in the late game since you're learning the game, but doing the campaign and learning is perfectly doable with a variety of skills. Look at the different ascendancies of the characters to see what they do and which one you like, and just play it. Don't worry too much about guides and whatnot, and just have fun and take it slow, it's absolutely fine :)

2. Follow a meta build so you can clear the campaign and have a look at endgame and whatnot, and don't deviate until you learn.

As you can see, these are polar opposites. Personally, I'd recommend 1. But if you're looking for a guide, I'd recommend starting with Explosive Arrow, either using an Elementalist (Witch), or a Champion (Duelist). Here's two guides, one for each:

https://youtu.be/grWNV7YLvIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLFV3L4eQ7A

As I said, don't worry too much. It can be overwhelming at first, but you'll start getting the hang of it after a couple of characters. Just don't get discouraged, there's always a lot of going back to the drawing board, even for veterans.
Last edited by Walkiry on Dec 19, 2022, 4:45:26 AM
Alright, thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it!
Another question, after crunching some numbers on the new curse changes.

Is it really worth going for curse on hit rings now?

For frostbite, curse on hit rings apply lvl 1 frostbite, which applies -17% to cold res on all mobs accross the board, but a lvl 21/22 frostbite applies -24%/-25% to all monsters as well.

I can see how the praticality of not relying on reckoning to apply curses is good, and the 2 skill slots that get unlocked are very cool, but is it worth sacrificing 7% less resist?
"
Vallcrist wrote:
Another question, after crunching some numbers on the new curse changes.

Is it really worth going for curse on hit rings now?

For frostbite, curse on hit rings apply lvl 1 frostbite, which applies -17% to cold res on all mobs accross the board, but a lvl 21/22 frostbite applies -24%/-25% to all monsters as well.

I can see how the praticality of not relying on reckoning to apply curses is good, and the 2 skill slots that get unlocked are very cool, but is it worth sacrificing 7% less resist?

It's all relative. Thing is, you're also adding exposure from gloves with Eldritch mods, 10% from Inquisitor (though that's calculated as a separate multiplication), plus other sources of penetration (inquisitor again, fangs of frost or galvanic hammer if you go that way and allocate those wheels, cold mastery, etc.). So 7% is, relatively, more important before you have all that. Afterwards, you can likely scale damage better with the freed-up gem slots (totems being the big one, which I've avoided for long but apparently no more, frost bomb if you don't have the other sources of exposure which allows for different Eldritch implicits, etc.).

It is, however, something I haven't looked into much more deeply than plugging gems in PoB and seeing the results :)
Last edited by Walkiry on Dec 20, 2022, 12:56:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info