[PS5] PoE underscans on PS5

I just got a PS5 and after installing Path of Exile the game underscans. About 5% of the outside edge is missing compared to when Path is running on my PS4, using the same display, same input port, same settings.

I'm not sure if this is a PS5 firmware issue or not but the result is the top left life bubble gold "wreath" has the left side of the golden leaves clipped offscreen. At the bottom left, the HUD for flasks has the bottom part of the DPad icons clipped offscreen, and the L1 and R1 icons hover dangerously close to the edge.

Changing the Display Area via PS5 settings simply leaves me with a smaller image and black borders but with the view zoomed in and parts of the HUD still truncated.

On my PS4 everything looks correct.

Is this a known issue, and is this something that Sony has to fix?

Last bumped on Mar 29, 2024, 4:40:37 PM
Hi.
You might be able to fix this with your TV.
Try setting picture aspect ratio to 16:9 or if that does not work to "source".
Make sure to select the setting to fill the whole screen.
I've tried all of the settings. 16:9, Screen Fit, etc.

With the smaller aspects I can clearly see that the PS5 is not outputting the rest of the image; there literally isn't anything else outside the borders.

My TV does not over or underscan when in Game Mode in any case; I have hundreds of PS4 games that behave correctly here and my PS4 does not need to modify the output either.

More to the point, my PS5 specific games behave perfectly with no underscan. I've specifically tried the PS5 versions of Subnautica, No Man's Sky, and Ghost of Tsushima, and all of them look correct, so it isn't the display that is causing underscan.

There's some weird interaction between the PS5 hardware and PS4 PoE. After asking around, I have a friend who is also seeing similar underscan running PS4 PoE on his PS5. He hadn't played PoE on anything but his PS5 and didn't realize what was happening until I showed him some PS4 screenshots, and he immediately confirmed his game is also under scanning with a completely different display.
So it seems like it's a PS5 issue.
On PS4 the safe area setting should be affecting UI in game. But it seems to be missing/different on PS5.
We will look into that.

As for your specific issue: you see the whole image of the game.
The UI can go off-screen and that's normal. What's not normal is that there is no way to adjust it on PS5.
Thank you, I really appreciate the follow up.

Hopefully it's a relatively simple fix. It's not a dealbreaker but I imagine it doesn't put your best foot forward with PS5 owners.
Hi guys!
Any update on this UI issue?

Big thanks!
Why has this not been fixed yet? The UI is hanging off the screen on all sides and it's very annoying. This seems like a simple fix. People on PS4 don't seem to have this problem like the PS5 people do.

C'mon.
Other games dont go off screen, so SONY dont need implement some option function for correction. I am not programator, but its really so hard implement some ingame option for example zoom in/zoom out UI?
Sounds annoying. Must be an odd one, tho, cause I'm on ps5 too, but don't have this issue.
Damn, 3 years later and still no fix for this? I would think something as basic as making sure your game simply fits on a screen properly would be a relatively easy fix and somewhat of a priority as far as optics go. I've gotten used to it at this point, but it really shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. And definitely should've been fixed by now. Maybe the devs are just so focused on PoE 2 that they're like "fuck it" when it comes to updating more than absolutely necessary for PoE 1. Kinda like when it's your last day of work at a shitty job and you don't do jack or take shit from nobody because you're never gonna see those assholes ever again anyway.

At the very least, this shit better not be a problem with PoE 2 as well lol.
Last edited by NoodleNapperX on Jan 17, 2024, 5:49:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info