POE Needs Set Items, Epic Items and a new category

I love this game and will contribute as soon as finances allow. I realize it is a work in progress, but it is still right at the top of its genre already

The biggest thing it seems to be missing in is variety of itemization. I think the base itemization is good and interesting and I really enjoy the orb system for the most part.

However, I feel it needs more variety in items.

I think there should be set items. I think they would fit perfectly in the POE world and with the addition of a new orb type or too you could completely overcome the collection of low level set pieces by allowing the item level to be upgraded

I also think it needs a category of weapons in-between rares and uniques. Epic items or epic crafted items, that would have maybe unique modifiers and higher end ranges for the affixes and prefixes. With sets this would give 4 types of useful items and additional orb types which would be terrific for end game

I also think there should be something else to collect that does not destroy balance like charms of trinkets or components for crafting. It just needs some more variety

But the game is awesome. I love the core gameplay and the fact that you are not treating you audience with respect for their intelligence and making a more hardcore game

Obviously more monster types and acts would be great too but I know that they are coming, but the above is the change I most want to see-along with a fix for 16:10 resolutions, I do not like playing in 1920x1080
Item sets would make me a very happy man. I loved collecting them in D2. Getting that final piece was always a good day. One thing i think was missing in D2 was the level 90+ gear. I think if someone is going to make the effort to get to those higher levels they should at least have a few pieces of godly gear to collect. Maybe a special level 100 skill gem ;)
ign: zigkut_
"
johnnysd wrote:

(...)
I think there should be set items. I think they would fit perfectly in the POE world and with the addition of a new orb type or too you could completely overcome the collection of low level set pieces by allowing the item level to be upgraded

I also think it needs a category of weapons in-between rares and uniques. Epic items or epic crafted items, that would have maybe unique modifiers and higher end ranges for the affixes and prefixes. With sets this would give 4 types of useful items and additional orb types which would be terrific for end game

I also think there should be something else to collect that does not destroy balance like charms of trinkets or components for crafting.(...)

1. Yeah, set items perfectly fit in the world, where 80% of items are created by players, and totally randomized (sic). Set items works great in games with lesser items customization.

2. Terrific items for end game? 6 slots linked on high lvl Rare item, isn't terrific? Also I don't know why "in between rares and uniques". You mean items power? Rare items have greatest power. Unique doesn't mean - "powerful", but does mean "for special builds". We got already 4 types of useful items:
normal - great for crafting and forging
magic - great for normal standard game with good items progression
rare - great for additional strenghtening
unique - great for special build;
I really don't see any place for next items types.

3. Yeah, maybe trinekts and charms it's good idea, but I don't understand why "component for crafting". You need more orbs, or second type of crafting mechanism?
Last edited by Skelecross on May 10, 2012, 10:02:20 AM
There are already vague "sets" of uniques based on the characters they're named after if you're into collecting or just wearing special-looking armor.

No set bonus though, sometimes even counterproductive (*cough* Voll).
I hate set items, they make itemization more one-dimensional and lower the amount of build variation. What's the point of having several equipment slots if you're just going to fill them up with items from the same set anyways?
"
Silty wrote:
I hate set items, they make itemization more one-dimensional and lower the amount of build variation. What's the point of having several equipment slots if you're just going to fill them up with items from the same set anyways?

THIS + 1

As for OPs other ideas, basically you just want an exact D2 copy then right?? You are still allowed to play D2 you know... We dont need charms or new item rarities, we just need more numerous and interesting mods for the current crop of drops.
"
Silty wrote:

I understand your logic to the first part of your response, but you don't have to use set items so there is no need to hate them. I know I somtimes run sets, in other games, and sometimes I don't. It's basd on what I need for a particular instance. Having set items is fun for some people who like collecting or feel they like the challenge of going after a specific set for the set bonuses they may give. And going off the second part of your response I have to say, just because it's a set of items, doesn't mean that they all give the same stats or benefits, as most sets in other games actually give you different attributes on each piece with a single simularity. So having several different equipment slots and adding set items or any random item gives the same benefit.

"
Skelecross wrote:
1. Yeah, set items perfectly fit in the world, where 80% of items are created by players, and totally randomized (sic). Set items works great in games with lesser items customization.

Actually we could have Set Items that you could still manipulate while giving a specific 'set' bonus. In other words, we could still change the magic attributes of the set item with orbs like we can any item already, but the bonus you recieve from having the full set would be something not changeable. So a portion of the name which would signify the actual set would have to remain the same.

I would personally like to see 'Item Sets' added into this game. And as I said above, if you don't like them, you don't have to use them.

Also an 'item set' doesn't necessarily have to be a complete set of equipment on your character. A set could consist of a Helm with two Weapons or just Boots, Chest, and Helm. giving you the ability to mix a couple 'item set' if you wanted.
Last edited by DeathPiggy on May 23, 2012, 6:21:53 PM
I want food in the game
I wouldn't mind seeing a wide variety of "class-specific" items added into the game.

If there were a good amount added into the game, maybe that would help the different classes each have a more unique identity.

...just a thought, since the all of the skills are pretty much wide open to any class right now. Maybe some class-specific items would be cool.
"
Ghostmage wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a wide variety of "class-specific" items added into the game.

If there were a good amount added into the game, maybe that would help the different classes each have a more unique identity.

...just a thought, since the all of the skills are pretty much wide open to any class right now. Maybe some class-specific items would be cool.

I agree with this. Something along the lines of the borderlands class specific trinkets would fit really well.

I dont want to see any class specific other gear though.
RIP Bolto

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info