3.14 Toxic Rain - Leaguestart guide with in depth crafting and gearing section - updated

"
MrWonderful99 wrote:
Excellent guide - I never would have thought about leveling as a miner. I tried Toxic Rain this past league and it is amazing for sure. I leveled as Caustic Arrow to 96 and I just threw in a toxic rain gem to see what it was like and enjoyed it enough to go to level 99.

ever since i discovered that you can put detonate mines on left click i ask myself why not mines instead of why mines xD

this one simple change of making mine detonation always instant without having to take a node on the tree made mine builds virtually undistinguishable from non mine builds while clearing zones/mapping

That coupled with the fact that it's easier to get good mine throwing speed than attack speed from the passive tree alone just made it a no brainer, but where the idea originated is from watching racers

i noticed every single ranger racer goes toxic mines, and it didn't take me long to realize why
IGN JustifiedF
Very well-written guide. I like all the LGoH you've managed to fit in, but I'm skeptical about going Chainbreaker over Divine Flesh.
"
GreenWaltz wrote:
Very well-written guide. I like all the LGoH you've managed to fit in, but I'm skeptical about going Chainbreaker over Divine Flesh.

Divine flesh is a very good defensive option, but we don't have harvest remove/adds anymore and this a league start scenario so fitting in enough chaos res to fully utilize divine flesh will come at a cost, either economic one or sacrifice of other affixes on gear

it's also best utilized with a good influenced hunter chest with %phys taken as chaos

this would bring up the base cost significantly, lower your overall dps and clear speed, carcass jack is hard to replace, i don't think it's even worth it to try to get 30 radius without it

On a min maxed version, divine flesh would definitely have a place as the best defensive keystone
IGN JustifiedF
Hey man love the guide very helpful.
I was wondering if you would consider thief's torment to be viable instead of the intermediate rings since it's probably cheaper and less of a hassle to get.
"
Serpico451 wrote:
Hey man love the guide very helpful.
I was wondering if you would consider thief's torment to be viable instead of the intermediate rings since it's probably cheaper and less of a hassle to get.

thiefs torment is more of an item you'd use early if you don't level with mines, i think losing 2 life rolls is just not worth it, you'll struggle to get 5k early even with life on your rings, and i think you'd want at least 5k raw hp at minimum, even if you have plenty of other defences

ilvl75 elder rings are usually very affordable pretty fast, and it takes about 60 chaos worth of fossils to roll a usable one, i don't think this part of the gearing needs an even "budgeter" option

IGN JustifiedF
Last edited by Justifi3d on Apr 9, 2021, 8:43:39 AM
Thanks for the very detailed build, definitely got me hooked. Never played a ranger or toxic rain so probably gonna use it as a league starter next league.

My plan is to use it to clear all content, spend like 15 ex max then save money and respeec to an expensive build later.

I see the Chain Breaker node. I think it will be nefted next league so not sure it will be worth it. Without CB, the damage loss is like 20% and I don't see heavy investment of mana renegration in your gears. How can you sustain CB?

Some of new gems look promising, maybe you think LL version of this build will be good? XD
"
Thanks for the very detailed build, definitely got me hooked. Never played a ranger or toxic rain so probably gonna use it as a league starter next league.

My plan is to use it to clear all content, spend like 15 ex max then save money and respeec to an expensive build later.

I see the Chain Breaker node. I think it will be nefted next league so not sure it will be worth it. Without CB, the damage loss is like 20% and I don't see heavy investment of mana renegration in your gears. How can you sustain CB?

Some of new gems look promising, maybe you think LL version of this build will be good? XD

there's no overinvestment in mana simply because i don't deem it that worth it, if you refer to my mechanics and treshholds section you'll find explanations about what i consider optimal mana/rage breakpoints, but tldr is that around 10 rage regen is enough for roughly 4 seconds uptime on bosses, if you want more info about how to achieve that for very little tradeoff you can check that section

i expect some type of nerf, but i'm hoping that they do what they usually do and nerf the outlier more than the mechanic, and the outlier is divergent berserk, i think that considering the investment, Chainbreaker is a decently balanced notable for attack based builds, i would hope for maybe some numerical nerf, like from 30 to 20% more attack speed or something like that, that would make it not as strong but still good enough to use

I agree with the concept of not overinvesting, that's why i didn't bother to even offer many min maxed options of gear, i think that this build is one of those that becomes to expensive to properly scale after certain investment, like for about 30 ex you get 80% of the power but if you invest 60 ex you now have 90%, this stems mostly from the fact that the best possible weapon you can craft for the build caps out at roughly 15-20 ex investment(the faceted fossil crafted bow from my gear craftign section) and you simply cannot get a better weapon no matter how much money you had, there's also not that many More multipliers to scale with the build, there's only 1 aura that gives more damage, other stuff gives pseudo more multipliers that have heavy diminishing returns, there's only 1 curse that gives you damage and most influenced mods in general don't provide much damage overall

i think that if you could get your dps up to like 10 million i wouldn't even bother increasing it further
IGN JustifiedF
Last edited by Justifi3d on Apr 9, 2021, 3:11:27 PM
How important is Clever Construction? Feels like too many nodes for a weird gain (I never played Mines). For this amount of nodes I can path to Volatile Mines instead.

Overall amazing guide.
Last edited by etofok on Apr 10, 2021, 10:50:38 AM
Really dumb question, what kind of bow are we trying to pick up / essence craft while leveling? Might be in the guide but I missed it?

Thanks!
"
etofok wrote:
How important is Clever Construction? Feels like too many nodes for a weird gain (I never played Mines). For this amount of nodes I can path to Volatile Mines instead.

Overall amazing guide.

It's actually a fairly important node, especially in later acts, a lot of the bosses have so much aoe that you'd be losing half of your damage without it

id try to pick it up before kitava act 5 at the very least because he's the first "abuser" of the arena wide aoe that you'll meet

you don't really lose that much points, points have good damage value on them and you'd path up there to grab the life nodes eventually, it isn't the most optimal to get early on but sadly necessary, i wish that GGG would get done with the whole mines can be destroyed mechanic

"
Rompster wrote:
Really dumb question, what kind of bow are we trying to pick up / essence craft while leveling? Might be in the guide but I missed it?

Thanks!

there's no dumb questions mate, bows while leveling are basically whatever drops, if you have whetstones in first few acts you can do the phys recipe

rustic sash that is at least magic + whetstone + bow = bow with %increased physical damage

a lot of your damage will still come from the flat physical value of the hit early on so it's useful

i say starting around act 5 you don't need to bother with phys recipe anymore, after that the best bow would be any that gives + to level of socketed gems or bow gems, if you can get that you'd roll with it until maps before you can afford your 6L porcupine card bow and a shrieking essence of dread
IGN JustifiedF

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info