Whirling Blades

The animation is really well done and diving through monsters feels awesome.
However, I hate having to stand still about a second after the 'diving' animation is over, the skill feels very awkward to use.

I suggest giving the skill a cooldown just as long as the time the skill takes to perform right now (including that dreaded second at the end) BUT make me be able to move right after the diving animation ends.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
"
dust7 wrote:
The animation is really well done and diving through monsters feels awesome.
However, I hate having to stand still about a second after the 'diving' animation is over, the skill feels very awkward to use.

I suggest giving the skill a cooldown just as long as the time the skill takes to perform right now (including that dreaded second at the end) BUT make me be able to move right after the diving animation ends.

Yeah the standing still at the end is really horrible.

I just tried this skill out as a gap closer and it feels awful. I want to dive into my enemies and start tearing stuff up instantly out of the movement animation. Instead I get to stand there like a retard for half a second.

There has to be a better solution to prevent spamming this skill, which I assume is what you want to avoid. A cooldown might be clunky, but it would still be way more elegant than the current form.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Jul 30, 2012, 2:29:43 PM
What exactly is wrong with spamming this skill? Giving it a cool down would completely ruin it for people who use it as a damaging aoe skill. The standing animation at the end isn't even noticeable if your attack speed is high enough.
Does anyone really use this successfully as their AoE skill? I found that when I would use it it was just far too inefficient; I'd hit 2-3 monsters at most, and at like 60% damage that's crap compared to just a single-target skill (or different AoE skill), especially when you factor in it's slow attack speed.

I think a skill that makes good use of claws and daggers, or even just dual wielding (even though it exists already) —perhaps more like Diablo 2's Whirlwind— would be good.
"
It is really really frustrating not being able to control the range of it
Yes. Fixing/changing that alone might be enough for me to like the skill.

"
Danos wrote:
What exactly is wrong with spamming this skill? Giving it a cool down would completely ruin it for people who use it as a damaging aoe skill. The standing animation at the end isn't even noticeable if your attack speed is high enough.

He just means an extremely short cooldown — one which is the same duration as the "stun" that currently exist for the skill. It would be a huge buff to the skill— at least if the cooldown gets lowered with faster attack seed (which would maybe be an issue).
The movement is already really fast (I've seen a person move like 50%+ faster with it), so I don't really think that stun period should be removed unless the movement part was made a bit slower to fill that remaining time.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Jul 31, 2012, 6:07:07 AM
This skill probably needs a damage buff to be viable. 60% is such a huge hit compared to other skills. I am trying my best to make a good build using this as a main, but the damage is so low at all levels. You have to be like level 70 to get this to around 2.7k dps while you can have the same aoe dps at level 50 with a much safer lighting arrow.

I also wouldn't mind the skill moving slower and the ending animation sped up much more. Might help a lot with the sync issues that this skill is plagued with.

Edit: This skill is getting me killed repeatedly due to desync. Use it on enemies, use it to escape, run away only to be warped back into a pile of enemies 5 seconds later.
Last edited by sharkh20 on Aug 1, 2012, 3:55:01 AM
When I first saw this skill I was like "Fuck yeah!" "Its's similar to whirlwind in D2!"

I'm the whirlwind type of player that uses it to death:).

Boy was I dissapointed when I tried it. First issue: What the hell is with it while trying to hit stuff right in front of me, 80% of time it looks like I'm missing them and I'm having 91% hit chance, the other 20% time that I hit them its amazing, like whirlwind action:). Wanted to spec around this skill with dual wield but damn, can't man, not effective:(. Hope to hear some changes from you guys! Hope this get better so I can enjoy myself.
The ability to hit and phase through multiple enemies along with its uber speed the skill executes at are the factors that define this skill. I think that's quite balanced given what it does. Although, I would not object to a slight buff in damage, say up to 70-90% of physical damage. Any more, this skill would basically be on par with Flicker Strike and no one would use FS due to its cooldown mechanic.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Aug 2, 2012, 5:56:35 PM
Quick question about this skill.

Do effects like "blast Radius" increase the aoe size of the skill? Meaning the area around your character dealing damage.

I kinda guess it is no, but i'd like to be sure. I love the idea of the skill, and would like to find a viable way to use it. Besides looking very stylish and awesome, of course.
i dont think if it's been posted before but it's possible to pass through frost walls with this. not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but it certainly doesnt seen to look like it should.

i think this skill is quite balanced right now, i can complain about the damage of the skill, but it's not supposed to be a main source of damage anyway, is it? but i think instead of the delay being after the "dash", it should be before, to make it look like thep player is charging up for the dash, and it also give a slight warning in pvp, so the dash is a lot less instant.
twitter: LeonoftheChan
well with insane IAS that i gotten (39% passives+equip +25 charges) whirling activates virtually instantly after actions. if i hit some obstacle, then oftenly the skill burns my mana because it accidentally retriggered (didn't let go of mouse button yet but was about to.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info