Set Pieces

What do you guys think about Set Pieces?
Last bumped on Mar 10, 2021, 11:01:00 AM
They talked about this early on. They didn't like how it locked people into certain equipment choices. The closest thing we have are items like "Bringer of Rain" that take up two slots. You can think of that as a set.

They would also only have about a six month lifespan in the development cycle before becoming yesterday's trash.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Mar 7, 2021, 9:20:29 PM
Tal-Rasha approves of this message.
I've always liked the idea of set pieces, but they're just so damn hard to balance.

On one hand having a set take up multiple gear slots means it needs to be powerful to warrant using it.

On the other, if it IS powerful, having all those gear slots taken up just isn't fun because obviously you don't have a choice for that slot.

I'm actually a fan of sets in D2. They would definitely need another balance pass in most cases, but some like the IK set fits perfectly where I believe sets should land; Good enough for the game, better then the average rare / unique, but worse then the very hard to find uniques and best rolled rares.

Would that really work in poe's environment? I wouldn't be able to predict that. Possibly if the number of pieces was lower, to 3 or 4 on average.
We have set pieces to an extent in the form of the bestiary uniques. That was a test for them introducing set items and it looks like they have no plans to add others.
"
What do you guys think about Set Pieces?

They are a generally bad idea. Either they are weak, or they limit your itemization. I hated sets in D2, and I still hate them. One of the appeals in terms of itemization that PoE has is that it doesn't have sets.

The idea sounds pretty cool when you first hear about it, but gameplay wise, it is a bad concept.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
It kills build diversity because everyone be chasing after the same sets and make the same meta builds.
"
jeerinho wrote:
It kills build diversity because everyone be chasing after the same sets and make the same meta builds.

They do that anyways, don't they? There isn't much build diversity in PoE, not as much as it seems.
Want to play a beginner friendly, highly expandable and reliable build? Try WreckerOfDays' ! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2606288 -- My Hideout -> https://hideoutshowcase.com/hideout/show/2881
The items that come close to Set Items are the uniques from Bestiary.

Each piece of the "set" contributes to more convenience/power.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
I think set pieces will be a very powerful alternative to the usual rare items.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info